WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    Maine is a special place to be, but early Spring when most Southbounders start out is less than ideal. Bugs, mud and blowdowns plague the SOBO hiker and the weather can ruin all ambitious attempts. Learn more at www.100milewilderness.info Been there, done that and can help
    Quote Originally Posted by gsimp18 View Post
    How are you all getting up to Maine? Is Bangor the closest airport to Baxter? Im from Texas, so flying is probably the best bet for me.
    I used Phil's service this last summer and it was FANTASTIC! he picked me up the 7th of July in Bangor at the Greyhound station, stayed the night at his cabin, and were the second car into Baxter the next morning, the 8th of July (my birthday!!) There are a few sections of the Wilderness that are at considerably low elevation and that's where the bugs were the worst for me, namely around Potaywadjo lean-to (couldnt even stop to have lunch because of bugs, but i did stop at this Spring for a few minutes - possibly the best water source along the whole AT!) Bring a headnet and you should be fine. Remember: dont get into your sleeping bag with 100% deet on your body - it will melt the material (cant be good for your skin... )

SOBO was a dream come true to say the least! I had nearly the same temperatures up until central Virginia, then it got cold! Have a blast, Yall!

-Phenix

We'll be starting June 1st armed with head net and some deet or other form of bug deterrent.

Looking to start the first week of July...actual date still hasn't been set. Gotta check flights and shuttle service.

my brother and I plan on starting a day or so after BSP opens, hope to see some of you there!

Hello SOBO's. (I feel like I'm writing a personal ad)

My name is Kyle, and I like the outdoors. Haha.
    Seriously, I'm starting in between June 1st and June 15th. Whenever I make enough to not work for 5-6 months. It would be my first time on the trail, so no trail names.
    I'm starting with a friend who is from Maine for a week, but I suppose I would go it alone from there. I'm a waiter at two restaurants, and if I have to fill one more iced tea I am gonna go get my pack and start earlier!

I'm a waiter at two restaurants, and if I have to fill one more iced tea I am gonna go get my pack and start earlier!

Amen to that! The only way I can get through the shifts these days is just telling myself "This person is funding your hike, smile and refill the drink for the umpteenth time!"

I'm lookin to start my SOBO on June 1st, life permitting... I have my Data book and Companion to keep me day dreaming until then. Yes, the daily grind at work is getting tougher as another day passes and my departure date approaches! I don't have an official trail name yet, though I'll probably stick with "Shimp", given by my 4 brothers as it has stuck for years. I have most of my gear ready, just have to settle on a tent, and boots. I'm thinking about wearing my trusty Marine Corps issued boots, because they are nice and broken in, but losing traction. Anyway, I'll probably get with one of the shuttle companies to pick me up from the Greyhound station and crash overnight and get delivered to Baxter State park the next morning! I hope to see you all out there and I hope everyone has the safest and most enjoyable experience possible!

OOOhhhhhh-Raaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!

-Shimp

I'm coming from Columbus, Ohio. I plan on taking a Greyhound from here to Bangor, ME then take a shuttle or whatnot. It's $89 bought in advance, and I've always done things the hard way. I don't feel like making my family spend 3 days driving, stopping and spending money, and I have ridden busses without worries before. Can't wait to quit my jobs! Wooooooo!

Ill be doing a sobo starting around June 17th, hope to see yall on the trail! Good luck!

When are you heading out? I'm from Columbus as well! I had planned on catching a Greyhound and shuttle as well. I'm going to aim for June 1st, but in reality I can pretty much leave whenever I choose.

Default Phil from Maine

what up phonex
    I ditto Phonex comments about Phil. Great guy. Great service. Ask him about a food cache.
    I used bug spray but I also slept in a open hammock. You will encounter bugs. Bug nets to me are hard to breathe with.
    Bandana and some bug spray. Deer flies dont' care. I killed about a dozen one break. Pesky.
    Don't miss camping out on Avery Peak ( like I did ).
    You'll have a great hike. I'm thinking of going nobo this year. One of my fav experiences was meeting other hikers regardless of direction or purpose.

-smooth

Images

Hi, i am hoping to be on the trail in late june. taking a bus to maine, i was gonna go nobo last year but i got held back. hopefully everything works out this time love

Looking forward to my SoBo. wteason2's Avatar
    Images

Starting my sobo the second week of June. Can't wait! Taking amtrak to Bangor, shuttle or something to Baxter. I might go with the name "Mr. Mittens" that I got on an Outward Bound expedition last August. If we meet, ask me how I got it. Its probably not what you'd think.
    Had a successful SoBo hike last year. Check out my blog on facebook!

heading south at the end of June. can NOT wait!

Hey -

Hoping to head SOBO on the 1st of July - was thinking June but i need the extra month at work Trail name Sparrow. Can't wait to head out.
    "Not all those who wander are lost."
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkein

Just a thought, I was watching TV last night and realized that the election is Nov 6th. Starting June 1st and doing what most people average over the whole AT (12 mpd) that puts us back Dec 9th. So the question is, will you get off the trail to vote? lol

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Slewfoot (hubby) and I are headed to Maine via Greyhound on June 2nd.

We did a NOBO attempt last year . . . . . hopefully we're a full year wiser!
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Sparrow here
    attempting a SOBO thru hike leaving around the first of July. Hope to meet some of you on the trail
    "Not all those who wander are lost."
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkein

Leaving from Texas. I'm hoping to summit Katahdin on the 10th of June and then leave on the trail on the 11th. No trail name yet but the name is Greg.

Heading SOBO mid to late July Approx July 20th
    Ill be through hiking with a friend. My old man who is section hiking the AT will join for the first week or two.
    Anyone in Atlanta want to do some "practice" hikes between now at then. Send me an email. [email protected]
    Im also heading up to Springer this weekend. Also, what airport is closest to the start? Want to book my flight soon.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++