WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Southbound (MEGA) Thruhikers 2012 !!!

Hi all,

Thought I would start an official thread for all 2012 Southbounding thru-hikers. This is NOT to take the place of the official registry, but rather a place us SOBO's can communicate more efficiently! My wife, Pixel, and I are planning a 2012 thru starting in late June, early July, after our 2011 attempt fell short. Super excited to meet you all and in the mean time hear from you on Whiteblaze.

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

planning sobo for the same time frame. my 40th birthday will be on the 12th of june plan to leave shortly after. no kids or major responsiblities to hold me down figured now is the time. hope to see you on the trail.

Journal Entries

Good luck to you all. I was going to do sobo until my feet started to hurt. Heel spurs, surgery in Nov. Says I won't be doing the trail until 2013.
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

I'm heading southbound starting late May or early June. I'm graduating in may, so Northbound isn't really an option unless I want to rush through it.

Similar situation to steveinator, I'm graduating from UNH in May and planning on starting my SoBo thru along with a fellow grad in late May- early June.

Heading south from katahdin around June 22nd/2012...retirement starts May/2012!...need to take a very long walk in the woods!! ...don't look for me in shelters, cause I'll be hanging in the tree's. See ya on the AT!
    Leatherhead

Images

Good luck to you all. For those starting in early June, prepare for black flies and difficult fords.
    skinny d

I can't wait to meet you all! We'll be starting in late May/early June... and will likely have mosquito netting and bug spray!

Pumped. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up with all of you, I am starting middle of July. Great to see a lot of college graduate hopefuls going out for a bid. I'm graduating from Babson in May and can't wait to get out there.

I am hoping to start south the first of July only going as far as my money takes me. I know I won't have enough for a thru but hopefully half of one

Images

I, too, am leaving Katahdin for south as soon as I can, with bug spray and
    netting in tow! I have engagements both in May, which prevent me from
    leaving sooner, and in October, so I'll be pushing myself, and.. perhaps will
    have to take a break in October, then return to finish the southern bit.

Maine is a special place to be, but early Spring when most Southbounders start out is less than ideal. Bugs, mud and blowdowns plague the SOBO hiker and the weather can ruin all ambitious attempts. Learn more at www.100milewilderness.info Been there, done that and can help

Actually Quadzilla, most SOBO thru hikers start in June/July.

I hope to start in early july as well. I will be completing my sophomore year in college though. I am so so excited to be doing this. Hopefully i'll meet all of you and hopefully finish the trail with you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rsbyron View Post
    Actually Quadzilla, most SOBO thru hikers start in June/July.
    Actually June and July is SPRINg in Maine

Old Man River
    "the legs feed the wolf gentlemen, the legs feed the wolf" from the movie "Miracle"

SOBO - From ATL so I dig the "walk home" theme
    August (early-mid) - As early as I can go and as late as i'd consider
    Hammock & UL - Better sleep, longer days, more miles and hopefully thru GSMNP before treacherous snow.

May the HIKE be with You.

My girlfriend and I just decided to start sobo, sometime in mid-late July. Sounds like we will be bringing up the rear behind most sobos. Hopefully there will be fewer black flies, we'll see...

How are you all getting up to Maine? Is Bangor the closest airport to Baxter? Im from Texas, so flying is probably the best bet for me.

Images

As it stands now, I'll be driving up with friends, they will probably climb to the top & back down with me, camp one/two nights, and see me off.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinator View Post
    I'm heading southbound starting late May or early June. I'm graduating in may, so Northbound isn't really an option unless I want to rush through it.
    i might be doing a month or two starting about that same time! maybe i'll see you on the trail if everything works out! Good luck to you!
    "Teufel Hunden"

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++