WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What do you think of the Mountainsmith dog packs?

Hi, this is my first post!Just like the title says, I'm looking to find out if anyone has any experience with these packs.My buddies did some hiking on the AT with a buddy who's dog used one of these and all the reports say it held up pretty good and was comfortable with the pack. No sore spots. Does anyone else have any input?I'm just getting into hiking but I want to go all the way and attempt a thu-hike with my dog so quality is essential.Thanks!Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick&Bruce View Post
    Hi, this is my first post!Just like the title says, I'm looking to find out if anyone has any experience with these packs.My buddies did some hiking on the AT with a buddy who's dog used one of these and all the reports say it held up pretty good and was comfortable with the pack. No sore spots. Does anyone else have any input?I'm just getting into hiking but I want to go all the way and attempt a thu-hike with my dog so quality is essential.Thanks!Nick
    Thats all "SideKick" has ever worn... Check out my Pics of him wearing his SAR pack I bought him in 2007 for our 1st Dog-Thru... It has been Bomb Proof for many thousands of miles... He is able to carry 16-18lbs with no problems... Ruff Wear Palisades is also really nice Pack, just less capacity...

I hear lots of really nice things and I wouldn't argue that they're all true, however I am such a huge advocate of "Ruffwear's" Products that I will Blindly Refuse any other product.

It's between one of these and a Ruffwear Palisaides. It's not that I'm trying to be cheap, but if no one can tell me why I shouldn't buy a mountainsmith then I can't imagine why I wouldn't. How many miles do you get out of a pack? Thanks so much for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick&Bruce View Post
    It's between one of these and a Ruffwear Palisaides. It's not that I'm trying to be cheap, but if no one can tell me why I shouldn't buy a mountainsmith then I can't imagine why I wouldn't. How many miles do you get out of a pack? Thanks so much for the replies.
    You can't go wrong with either pack... I bought the MountainSmith SAR because it had all the features of my backpack... ie, mesh pockets/daisy chain/hydration bladder compatible/inside zippered pockets/rain flaps over all the zippers, etc... That said, its quite "boxy" compared to the new stuff from RuffWear(which is ALL my hounds other gear ...) SideKicks pack has seen 3 Dog-Thru's plus many more thousands of trail miles and is still in excellent shape...

I use a Ruffwear Approach. Quite durable. Most of all I like the fit of it's harness. I can actually lift my dog and carry her by the handle. That's handy for getting her over obstacles or for rock-hopping fast streams. It seems to balance pretty well without too much rolling to one side.

It sounds like Ruff Wear is the way to go. How much can you fit in the Approach? I'm not sure a Palisades is even nescessary— might even be excessive. At most I'd probably only have 12lbs on my 65lb dog's back.

Images

packs fit dogs differently too, if you have an opportunity to try packs on the dog then take advantage of it. I do recommend a pack with a handle that will come in use.
    i use the mtn smith pack, well my dog does =P first one had issues though, looked like a reinforcement stitch had just barely missed what the strap was suppose to reinforce, they shipped me a brand new one w/ the whole kit not just the pack (which i don't think they sale anymore but it had the pack, blanket, bowls, and leash) the second one has been great. as mentioned above it is boxy but the compression staps on the side really help. never had issues with rubbing or anything, nicely adjustable, though some the straps are a little long, so i have to be careful to tuck in the long ones so she doesn't trip over them
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

++ New Posts ++