WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Gosh, you guys have me thinking about this now. I could use my IRA/401K to pay off all of my debts. Then, I could exist on my social security. I could pay some one $100 a month so that I could list a legal residence and that person could take in my mail and I could check in with them once a month or so if anything important came up. Stay in Patel Motels in the winter and on the trail in the spring, summer/fall. Hhhmmm.
    I used a Mailing Service when I was hiking full time. They will forward mail to you anywhere along the trail, plus it gives you a permanent address. I used a service in Augusta, Maine and it only cost me $125.00 a year plus a nominal fee for having mail forwarded to me.

If you really are thinking about it, there's a lot of useful information on the Cheap RV Living website. For a really long time after my long distance hike I was looking into making a lifestyle change. I've instead decided to save the information for my retirement years and just keep saving while I work. I don't have a lot of faith in the stock market (my 401k) and I have a pleasant enough job right now.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Gosh, you guys have me thinking about this now. I could use my IRA/401K to pay off all of my debts. Then, I could exist on my social security. I could pay some one $100 a month so that I could list a legal residence and that person could take in my mail and I could check in with them once a month or so if anything important came up. Stay in Patel Motels in the winter and on the trail in the spring, summer/fall. Hhhmmm.
    what's a patel motel? motel run by south asians?

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Happiness is 90% attitude, the other half is perspective.

Almost everyone can spot a lot of people that are more fortunate than they are, but there are far more that are worse off too. Even the poor in america are better off than 75% of the people in the WORLD. Always keep that in mind.
    Once you realize that things won't make you happy, your mood changes less based on circumstances.

I think most of the poorer among us here in the US aren't miserable because they don't have enough things, they're miserable because they are scared. They can't pay their bills, have trouble saving for the future, have to choose between food and heat or food and rent, and when they get sick or need dental work, they have no money.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++