WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by UHFox View Post
    To truly follow LNT, you would have to have your ziplock handy and puke into that.

Then, pack it out.
    Or recook it for a hearty meal.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by UHFox View Post
    To truly follow LNT, you would have to have your ziplock handy and puke into that.

Then, pack it out.
    And then leaving it in a hiker box would add yet another element of discovery to hiking

"That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    And then leaving it in a hiker box would add yet another element of discovery to hiking

This may of been the bag of vomit I left at Cable Gap. It's fun being a trail angel.

Packing out your own stool is a no-brainer too.

Ha Ha Ha. Actually it's summer sausage from Two Speed's food stash. Fooled ya.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Now that's the best place to puke if ya gotta puke. It's the fight or flight response---you hurl to lighten the load. BTW, I heard the notoriously stiff climb has been switchbacked recently? Is this true?
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    LNT has established guidelines for human waste, but does this include vomit?Are you allowed to vomit within 200 ft of trails and campgrounds? can you vomit above treeline in the Whites?Can you vomit in a privy?should you pack it out or bury it in a cathole?How far from a shelter should you be should the bile begin to rise?If youre in a shelter, is it appropriate to ask other hikers if they mind while you puke?should it be put in a bear bag?do shelter mice like vomit?
    I have so many questions, it makes my stomach turn.
    Just don't ralph in yout tent.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    But what if the puke is used for good, like to extinguish a campfire?
    Have you ever seen the tv show "A 1000 ways to die"?
    They had a story about this biker who robbed a bank in Montana and made off on his Harley. He was out camping in the middle of nowhere when he ran out of vodka. Well he wanted some more but knew he couldnt go to a store because at that point, his face would be recognized from the robbery. So he decided that since vodka had ethonol in it and gasoline did as well it would just as good. So he siphons gas out of his gas tank and drinks that. He starts throwing up everywhere, and leans over and barfs up some of the gas on the bonfire. A big huge flame went up and barbequed him!

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Have you ever seen the tv show "A 1000 ways to die"?
    They had a story about this biker who robbed a bank in Montana and made off on his Harley. He was out camping in the middle of nowhere when he ran out of vodka. Well he wanted some more but knew he couldnt go to a store because at that point, his face would be recognized from the robbery. So he decided that since vodka had ethonol in it and gasoline did as well it would just as good. So he siphons gas out of his gas tank and drinks that. He starts throwing up everywhere, and leans over and barfs up some of the gas on the bonfire. A big huge flame went up and barbequed him!
    Natural selection at its finest!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Funny that you ask this. Last night i was camping in Delaware Water Gap at backpacker #2, and my dog puked right by the bear box. I cleaned it up the best that I could and packed it out. I wasn't sure if it was necessary, but it was mostly undigested dog food and I didn't want to leave it there. If it had been my own vomit, I doubt if I would have done it right by the bear box, and I doubt if I would have packed it out.

D

Journal Entries

So glad to find WB can answer all my thru hiking questions! Ya'll crack me up.

Next week we talk about picking scabs....

Wait, someone mentioned in an above post that puking would lighten the load. So, has barfing become a new ultralight method??
    "You hiked up a mountain? Why would anyone want to do that?"--question posed to me by friend

Images

Whiteblaze does not condone bulimia as an official UL technique, but also says HYOH.

Images

This is getting too gross. For me puking is contagious like yawning.
    Seek, and you shall find.

Journal Entries
    Images

00122.jpgHeres's how to upchuck - first use this Natural High Peasant Omelet and make it in the bag - eat entire contents, stand for a little while - now move closer to the front of the shelter.... face the others, put your finger down your throat... Make damn sure they are looking - Now Puke.

Important! Make sure folks are downwind and they get a good whiff of the vomit- folks like that...!

Oh damn - I thought this was the Humor Section again.... Tisk.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 10-04-2011 at 10:05.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

does vomit attract bears?

Journal Entries
    Images

No bears required - sort of looks like this

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

In California, they smear their ralph on a rock.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by virgil View Post
    In my opinion, in this situation, you should get off the trail, away from the shelter including the privy, away from any water sources of course, as far as away as you can, 200-300' if possible, then hurl away. It's unpleasant, unfortunate, and in the heat of the moment, sometimes unavoidable. Get as far away from other people, places and things as you can, then get it over with. If you can cover it or bury it with leaves and dirt, that's a nice finishing touch. As penance, be especially careful with all your other LNT efforts.
    What if it's the Privy that had given you the SUDDEN urge to Hurl that could have easily happen to me recently at Groundhog Creek
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Or recook it for a hearty meal.
    Shouldn't it already be warmed up for ya?
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++