WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

thanks for the responses.

so now i'm seriously considering heading north from HF instead of south last of april, beginning of may. i can't leave until then and if i head south from HF like i originally had planned, i might not get to katahdin in time.

i'm not thrilled at the prospect of starting out in the "rocks" but it WILL give my legs a chance to acclimate, and i will STILL get a big crescendo, it will just be after 1000 miles instead of 2000. i also will get to hike with the surviving northbounders.

the hike from HF to springer should be beautiful from august through november, and i might get to hike with surviving south bounders. if not, i will be more than used to the trail by then, and hiking alone with the solitude won't bother me at all.

so it's either this or do a full southbound thru starting the first of june, black flies, raging streams, and all. but truthfully, though the almost immediate immersion into wilderness, post the katahdin climb would be strange, amazing, and dreamlike, i'm not sure how confident i feel about starting my hike in such tough terrain.

guess my heart will tell me which way to go as i draw closer to leaving.

TV

Quote Originally Posted by TV View Post

so now i'm seriously considering heading north from HF instead of south last of april, beginning of may. i can't leave until then and if i head south from HF like i originally had planned, i might not get to katahdin in time.

i'm not thrilled at the prospect of starting out in the "rocks" but it WILL give my legs a chance to acclimate, and i will STILL get a big crescendo, it will just be after 1000 miles instead of 2000. i also will get to hike with the surviving northbounders.

the hike from HF to springer should be beautiful from august through november, and i might get to hike with surviving south bounders. if not, i will be more than used to the trail by then, and hiking alone with the solitude won't bother me at all.

so it's either this or do a full southbound thru starting the first of june, black flies, raging streams, and all. but truthfully, though the almost immediate immersion into wilderness, post the katahdin climb would be strange, amazing, and dreamlike, i'm not sure how confident i feel about starting my hike in such tough terrain.

TV
    Sounds to me like a good plan. Start out heading Northbound from HF around the beginning of May. I think this will allow you plenty of time to reach Mt. Katahdin at a pace that will be comfortable, and not rushed, before the weather takes a turn for the worse up North. Then finish the trail in the South in the fall, early winter. You may get to hike with both Northbounders and Southbounders, and you will also miss the masses that start at Springer earlier in the year, allowing what will probably be a somewhat more peaceful hike overall. Sounds like a good decision.

Quote Originally Posted by TV View Post

TV
    Quote Originally Posted by DapperD View Post
    Sounds to me like a good plan. Start out heading Northbound from HF around the beginning of May. I think this will allow you plenty of time to reach Mt. Katahdin at a pace that will be comfortable, and not rushed, before the weather takes a turn for the worse up North. Then finish the trail in the South in the fall, early winter. You may get to hike with both Northbounders and Southbounders, and you will also miss the masses that start at Springer earlier in the year, allowing what will probably be a somewhat more peaceful hike overall. Sounds like a good decision.
    And I would just like to add that if you do decide to go Southbound starting in Maine, if possible it would be better to start around July 1st, in order to have better trail conditions and less blackflies.

Quote Originally Posted by DapperD View Post
    And I would just like to add that if you do decide to go Southbound starting in Maine, if possible it would be better to start around July 1st, in order to have better trail conditions and less blackflies.
    you are correct sir, but i just hate wasting those 2 months (may, june.)

i'm telling squid to change me to "flip." that's the best way for me to go given my time frame. starting last week april/first week may.

TV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++