WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Boots for 6E feet

I have 6E wide feet. I have Vasque Clarion boots which Campmore assured me that were the widest boots. I have had blister problems the whole time that I owned them(blisters on outside toes). This July I hiked the 100 mile wilderness and lost two toe nails and many blisters. I need help, does anyone have a suggestion.

Nobody makes off-the-shelf 6E boots. I measured 6EEEE in Jr. High. I think I'm 7EEEE now. There is no such thing for a woman's foot and no such men's shoes in that size at all, at least not available by any normal means. I ended up wearing mens size 9 or 10. I got used to the extra inches above my big toe.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

In the same way as sbhikes, I have bought longer Keen boots instead of trying to find wide ones. Yeah, they are longer, but they give me the small amount of extra width that I needed.

New Balance makes some styles in 6E. If you want a heavier duty boot, try Peter Limmer Customs.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Images

Limmer will have you send in a tracing of your foot and build a boot around this and work with you as they buiold the boot. It isn;t cheap and teh boots aren't light, but I bet your feet will be very happy.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Nobody makes off-the-shelf 6E boots. I measured 6EEEE in Jr. High. I think I'm 7EEEE now. There is no such thing for a woman's foot and no such men's shoes in that size at all, at least not available by any normal means. I ended up wearing mens' size 9 or 10. I got used to the extra inches above my big toe.
    One thing to remember that your size in a hiking boot is often larger than for a street shoe, I've long worn hiking boots a size larger than street shoes. A mens size 7 might be a reasonable place to start. A look at REI says that they don't carry mens wide sizes smaller than 8, though I'm sure you've looked already.

I wear a 6 1/2 men's, and much of my adult life I have dreaded shopping for shoes since most manufacturers only produce men's sizes down to size 7. Shopping for boots is as infuriating for me as it sounds like it is for you. For my last pair I wound up buying a women's size 8 Vasque Wasatch GTX, which fits very well, and in this case is identical to the men's version, only a little narrower. On a side note - I might be the only person that likes these boots.

Default 6E width hiking boots

Quote Originally Posted by Mayor View Post
    I have 6E wide feet. I have Vasque Clarion boots which Campmore assured me that were the widest boots. I have had blister problems the whole time that I owned them(blisters on outside toes). This July I hiked the 100 mile wilderness and lost two toe nails and many blisters. I need help, does anyone have a suggestion.
    I also wear a 6E and just recently found DrewShoes.com
    I love the fit and have requested that they produce a more specialized boot specifically for backpackers. If you contacted them with the same request, perhaps it would encourage them to start a new line. Ask for high ankle support, GoreTex lining and nonslip/aggressive treads. The Drew Rockford is insulated and has a waterproof lining. The Drew Tuscon is non insulated with no lining. Good luck!

I love the fit and have requested that they produce a more specialized boot specifically for backpackers. If you contacted them with the same request, perhaps it would encourage them to start a new line. Ask for high ankle support, GoreTex lining and nonslip/aggressive treads. The Drew Rockford is insulated and has a waterproof lining. The Drew Tuscon is non insulated with no lining. Good luck!

Images

There you go plank foot.

http://www.zappos.com/mens-shoes~oS#...lesStyle/desc/

This was in boots. I did not check in athletic or running. Notice the size filter on the top left.

If you go in on "zappos.com" look for "wide 3E and above." Click to get to the size filter.

Custom shoe may be what you need, but I couldn't do Limmers. Place in NH makes custom "sneakers" but they are quite spendy too.

Good luck.

Default Boots for 6E feet

I have very wide feet and find the New Balance 4E shoes, mostly trail runners, work for me. Worth a try to save $$$ from custom.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

The Drew Rockford was the only ones that came up. Could you tell me more about the place in NH?

Images

Can't recall the sneaker place. They were ugly burnt orange things, custom built. I did trip across this doing a google search-

http://www.herseycustomshoe.com/about/info_1.html

Good luck on your search.

Search Whiteblaze for Peter Limmer and sons or Limmer boots. They do custom boots that last forever but they are heavy old style boots. Plan on 12 to 18 months delivery and $500 plus for cost. THey also require a long break in. Once they are broken in some folks have had them for 20 plus years. They are built to be rebuilt and can be resoled. Not many folks would use them for AT thru hiking these days, as the weight and ruggedness is not needed south of the rocks of PA and New England.

There is a italian company that also does custom hiking boots but I dont have a link.

Lightbulb Where to get extra wide and extra size shoes and boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayor View Post
    My husband also has extra wide feet so I have done extensive research looking for a supplier. I found a company in Massachussets that we sent a tracing of his foot to with all the measurements they asked for and they sized his feet. Since we ordered a pair of work boots that have made such a difference! I hope this works out for you.
    The company is called Hitchcock and the web site is: www.wideshoes.com
    The only accept faxes for the tracings. Good luck!

I have high arches and 8EEEE width. I have tried LOT of boot and so far the best boots I can find are New Balance MO1000BY. They are a soft full high boot. They feel like sneakers. However, in looking, it seems they only come down to a size 7. Then again I always by 1 size larger as my foot get longer after a week of hiking..

It also looks like the MO1000BY has been replaced by the MO1000BK. I don't know what the changes are but it looks like the MO1000BY are all on sale!

Check here. Not much in hiking boots, but may have some athletic shoes that might work for hiking or otherwise.

http://www.footsmart.com/wide-feet-s...m=***wide+feet
    GA 80-Miler

+1 on the Keen's I have a wide foot and the Keens have been the best for me ... I ordered my from Zappato's also .. order them and try them on if they don't fit send them back and try something else, they have a great return policy.

Quote Originally Posted by JOSH1138 View Post
    I have to second your vote for Drew Shoes. They fit wider than any other mass produced hiking boot on the market. Especially the Drew Rockford 6E or the Drew Trek 6E both of those fit way wider than any other boots I have been able to find. Plus they have 2 removable footbeds, in case you need extra depth for a high in step or swelling.

++ New Posts ++