WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Death of Buffalo Bobby

All,

Don't know how many of you were lucky enough to have met Buffalo Bobby. It appears he died within twenty miles of the northern terminus. Those of us that met him on the AT knew him as someone with a ready smile. He passed away on 29 September. It would have been his third through hike.

Lone Star

I saw the story on MSNBC. I'm sorry he didn't finish, but he went the way I would like to go - living fully and doing what he loved.

This is the worst news. We will miss you Buffalo Bobby!

- Catalyst (GAME 2011)

Images

Dang, last time I saw him was in Lincoln, NH. Glad I had one last buffalo bobby sighting.
    -milkman

got soul?

Journal Entries
    Images

Very shocking and very sad news. I met Buffalo Bobby when he started in 2007 and saw him several times on the trail up North. Also, saw him start the trail this year.

Thoughts and prayers with him and his family.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Fate and circumstance afforded me the great pleasure and unique privilege of hiking the AT for 4 months in 2011 with Buffalo Bobby and Trolley Stop; two of the finest, Christian gentlemen I have ever had the good fortune to call "friends". My heart was broken to learn of Bobby's passing. These three things I will forever remember about Buffalo Bobby.

(1) I never heard Bobby utter a disparaging word about another human being. He seemed to love everyone he met, he truly was a gentleman - something I will strive to emulate.

(2) During his hike in 2011 he listened on his ipod to an audio version of The New Testament at least 3 times. His belief in God was as firm and large as Mt Katahdin. He walked-the-walk; something else I will strive to emulate.

(3) When I grew weary of hiking and talked of quitting, Bobby's favorite motivational soliloquy was; "All men die; not all men live." Robert Yerike lived more during 3 thru-hikes than most people in a lifetime! He more than loved every minute of hiking - he relished the physical and mental challenge. With his "bionic" knees Bobby virtually sprinted up hills and mountains. On Mt Everett, MA, he napped 30 minutes at the peak while waiting for us to catch-up! He was a hiking machine. Just as he was inspired by others, my cherished memories of Buffalo Bobby will inspire me to one day complete a thru-hike.

I loved Buffalo Bobby. I also know he will not be resting in peace; he will be up every morning at 5 a.m. hiking the greatest trail and climbing the greatest mountains. May God bless you Bobby.

guardian

Journal Entries
    Images

Whats twenty miles amongst the thousands... He finished what he loved to do.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Default Goodbye Bobby

I am brokenhearted tonight. What a wonderful man we have lost. I will always remember his sweet smile and warm heart. I am blessed to have had the chance to get to know him over the last few years. My thoughts are with Bobbys family and his trail friends. Remember our lunch break on the trail in PA? What a great memory!!

Journal Entries
    Images
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Buffalo Bobby was one of the most incredible people I have had the privilege of meeting - and that's anywhere, not just on the trail. He was a tremendously kind and thoughtful man, and I was always struck by how genuinely happy he seemed to be to run into old friends and acquaintances at the next shelter. When he asked you how you were doing, it wasn't just small talk - he really wanted to know what was on your mind and what if anything you were struggling with. He was known, loved, and respected by everyone lucky enough to be hiking around him.

Happy trails, Bobby.

Images

Sad news...Buffalo Bobby will be missed.
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Journal Entries

Buffalo Bobby, nice guy. This year the trail has taken its toll on the hiker community. God speed Bobby

Images

Bobby was my 2007 hiking partner and good friend. Bobby was a good person that everyone loved. Godspeed Booby, you will be missed. You helped me through some hard times on the trail, always with a smile. We had miles and hours of great conversation as we explored the depths of every subject imaginable. He was such a gentle and honorable person to walk along side.

Bobby and I spoke last Friday and I said I would watch his progress and maybe make up for his summit. He was in wonderful spirits and I could tell he was reliving all three of his thru hikes and cherishing each memory. The world has lost another giant among men and we have so few left. He did not conquer worlds but touched the heart of each person that he had contact with.

Iceman
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

Images

Buffalo Bobby also loved to joke around and have some fun with people. One day he asked me what were some of my favorite books I had read recently. I told him one of the greatest adventure stories was South by Earnst Shackleton. He said tell me about it. I began with a simple overview of the story. But as we walked along Bobby kept stopping me and asking me for more details about a particular part of the story. We were 30 minutes into what I thought would be a 2 minute answer when Bobby said "I have that book in my pack and I am almost done reading it for the second time." I said "What? Why did you have me tell you the story?" He said, "Oh, I just wanted to see if you really read the book."
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

I met Buffalo Bobby on my hike in 2007. I met him down south and then later up north in Gorham. We hiked together some but not much as everybody on the trail was faster than me. What one always remembers the most is the people you meet and spend some time with. Hikers bond with eaach other very fast. But Bobby was just something special--it may sound somewhat trite but he was just a great guy. He was always so upbeat and positive. It makes me so sad to hear th is news. I do feel fortunate to have known him. God bless you Bobby.

I met Buffalo Bobby in 2007 and hiked with him up to Harper's Ferry. He was one of the kindest people I met. Always upbeat and full of encouragement for newcomers to the Trail. We stayed in touch afterwards, I got Christmas cards and vacation cards from his travels overseas. I had spoken with him several times by phone while he was out this year. He touched a lot of people's lives on and off the trail. He will be greatly missed.

Quote Originally Posted by ednl View Post
    Fate and circumstance afforded me the great pleasure and unique privilege of hiking the AT for 4 months in 2011 with Buffalo Bobby and Trolley Stop; two of the finest, Christian gentlemen I have ever had the good fortune to call "friends". My heart was broken to learn of Bobby's passing. These three things I will forever remember about Buffalo Bobby.

(1) I never heard Bobby utter a disparaging word about another human being. He seemed to love everyone he met, he truly was a gentleman - something I will strive to emulate.

(2) During his hike in 2011 he listened on his ipod to an audio version of The New Testament at least 3 times. His belief in God was as firm and large as Mt Katahdin. He walked-the-walk; something else I will strive to emulate.

(3) When I grew weary of hiking and talked of quitting, Bobby's favorite motivational soliloquy was; "All men die; not all men live." Robert Yerike lived more during 3 thru-hikes than most people in a lifetime! He more than loved every minute of hiking - he relished the physical and mental challenge. With his "bionic" knees Bobby virtually sprinted up hills and mountains. On Mt Everett, MA, he napped 30 minutes at the peak while waiting for us to catch-up! He was a hiking machine. Just as he was inspired by others, my cherished memories of Buffalo Bobby will inspire me to one day complete a thru-hike.

I loved Buffalo Bobby. I also know he will not be resting in peace; he will be up every morning at 5 a.m. hiking the greatest trail and climbing the greatest mountains. May God bless you Bobby.

guardian
    An eloquent post, guardian.

Images

I'm glad to have the privilege of meeting Buffalo Bobby this year. He will be missed.

El Flaco - Hiker Trash Tour 2011

Journal Entries

I have a nice picture of the three if anyone knows how to post it please email me and I'll forward to you.

I'm sad of his passing but am happy that he died doing what he loved.

Keep on trucking, Bobby!

-Larb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++