WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sages Ravine - CT/MA

Does anyone know if fording is still required to cross from CT to MA? Planning a short section hike from CT into MA in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!!!!

Images

As far as I know, the flooding after Irene/Lee has receded and the trail is back to "normal" - there's some minor erosion in some spots, or having to crawl over felled trees, but it's much much better off than VT.

In a few more weeks, unless we get an early Nor'easter and then get tons of snowmelt, or get another tropical storm cell up this way, it should be fine.

The bridge was washed out and is parallel to the stream as of Sept 12th. It's an easy ford.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    The bridge was washed out and is parallel to the stream as of Sept 12th. It's an easy ford.
    There was a bridge?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    If I remember correctly -- and that becomes a bigger and bigger if every year -- the bridge connects / connected the trail with Sages Ravine campsite, and the trail crosses the brook via some rock hopping.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Brings back memories of my almost-hazardous crossing in late March 1975. For some reason we didn't think there'd be much snow up in the mountains, only to find it knee-high postholing on the north-facing slopes. Sages Ravine was really iced up; it looked like the sun only hit the creek at high noon. The creek was running fast from snowmelt and the only crossing was on a remarkably thin tree trunk with a wicked twist about 3/4 of the way across that someone had poasitioned across the torrent. The three of us made it over without incident, only to have to literally crawl up the ice-covered trail on the south side of the creek. Just befor the trail turned away from the creek I tried to get up on my feet and promptly "turtled" down the icy slope toward to creek. I managed to wedge my foot against the base of a bush just before falling into the water. My heart didn't slow down for an hour.

5ct_sages_ravine_south_bank.jpg
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    If I remember correctly -- and that becomes a bigger and bigger if every year -- the bridge connects / connected the trail with Sages Ravine campsite, and the trail crosses the brook via some rock hopping.
    Yes. It is the bridge to the campsite and you do not need to cross it to hike the AT from one state to the other.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

I was there Friday. Had to ford to get from Ct to Ma. Water was fast and cold, but only knee deep at it's deepest. Saw the bridge for the camp site. It was washed over to the CT shore.

Any new updates on this? Headed for a short weekend section tomorrow and will be crossing the border on Saturday.

Thanks!!

Images

I crossed it in the deep snow in March about 6 am one morning - it was running pretty good - pretty comical with my pants off - and then drying out on the other side.

++ New Posts ++