WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I've been so busy working I haven't been on lately. Shocked to see the large amount of responses. I'm def checking into all the options you all mentioned. I'm starting to think that having several is the way to go. Probably going with the solo for now, getting a 2 person in the spring as well as a hammock. Now I just have to decide which one. Thanks for all the help.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    why all 3? because I have a gear addiction,, haha. Seriously,, they were bought at different times. The D.Rainbow was bought first, then the BA Copper Spur2. These were bought while I still felt it was necessary to have a 2 man tent. Before the DR, I had a Eureka Backcountry2 and K2 XT,,, before that was a Walmart special. In the last few years, I've been lightening the load, and was looking for something smaller. Along came the Moment, and I fell in love. I realize now I don't really need 2 doors/vestibules. The only time I really use the 2 man tents are when I'm on a "camping" trip, not a "hiking" trip, especially if I'm sharing my tent w/ someone. In those cases, I prefer the BA Copper Spur2. I could give up the DR.
    Hey on the moment if you will indulge me with a few questions: Have you put it up in the rain the reason I am attracted to the tarpents is the attached fly I would think that it would work well in bad weather. And you say there is enough room for you and gear and can you sit up in it. I am very interested in this tent. I have been torn between tarptent and lightheart.

Thanks
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    C'mon Chubbs! You and Scope are in this together. What's the split on the pot? 50-50?
    What does that net me, 50 cents? Don't think I could have done 17 on the nose if I was trying. Good call, Chubbs.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Noob

Go with a solo tent. I started with a Eureka two person tent and love it for two people. Yes, it's heavy but we split the load up a bit which helps keep the pack weight down. Plenty of room in the thing too.

Went on a solo trip for 5 days and brought that tent with me. Within a week of coming home I purchased a BA Lynx Pass and swore I'd never carry a two person tent again. It gets heavy after a couple days out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbrown View Post
    Get a one person. Sleeping with someone in your tight 2 person stinks...literally. Unless of course you will be doing more than sleeping...
    very true. dont sleep with a "hiking partner" unless you are inside of them. otherwise, solo tent. also, there is no such thing as a UL free standing tent. you need to think what is more important, weight or convenience. a msr hubba like tent is very simple, but heavy( 3+lbs) tarp tents are light (<2lbs) but will not keep you 100%dry( light misting at best in heavy rain).

Images

Exactly! Its these same compromises that led me to finally consider a hammock, whereas I was pretty dead set against doing that initially.

"inside of them" - that's a little crass, isn't it?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Journal Entries
    Images

I have a Eureka Solitaire (Canadian version). I think it's 4' wide. You could probably fit 2 people in it. It doesn't have the large vestibule that I would like for storing shoes under.
    David Smolinski

Tarptent Rainbow is free-standing with trekking poles....

+1 on Lightheart solong 6 . I love mine. (I have 2 big agnes, 2 MSR, 1 nemo obi, 1 shangrila, 1 eureka, and i sierra ddesigns, and I like the LightHeart best.) Lightest and most room.
    Quote Originally Posted by solobip View Post
    For a solo have you looked into Lightheart's SoLong tent? Her 2 person tent weighs less than most solo's. Seeing you height, I just thought of the Lightheart SoLong,

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Carry the extra pound and take a 2 person free standing tent. You get a hell of alot of utility for that pound.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    Carry the extra pound and take a 2 person free standing tent. You get a hell of alot of utility for that pound.

I like the double rainbow. For the weight of most solo tents from REI you get a free standing 2 doors 2 vestibules and plenty or room. and for another 2 dollars and 37 cents for a huge camping tent from Walmart.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

This is an awesome tent, I'm 6'0, 156lbs. Plenty of room for me. I also can fit my larger than normal pack in the vest. I believe I could squeeze a smaller build person in with me... but it would be very snug

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23889

When I bought mine it was on sale for $89. Looks like it went up a little bit to $120, free shipping. Decent weight for me, not all about UL in some ways.
    Live your life and I'll live mine, perhaps one day they will intertwine. SEMPER FI! 2013 SOBO

Tarptent Double Rainbow is luxurious as a one person and comfortable for two. More condensation with two in the tent but nothing unmanageable. No condensation when solo in about twenty nights use. At 40ounces its a good compromise for a limited budget and hiking solo half the time and with someone else the remainder.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    Sorry, but for a solo hiker I disagree. What extra utility? My solo tent has plenty of room for me and my gear; I can sit up, change clothes, cook in the vestibule, and stay warm and dry in bad weather. At my age and marital status I don't need any extra room for an unexpected, er, companion, though in a serious emergency I could get a second person inside.

That extra pound has to be carried up and down the mountains all the way to Maine. It adds up. I'd rather have another pound of food.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Has anyone used the Stephenson's Warmlite two person tent? Pricey, but it seems to me it could be a good compromise of weight (2.5-3 pounds), size and sturdiness.

I'm in the same boat and opinions are all over the map. Since money isn't the driving issue I would say go for the 2 person tent. The reason being, buying a 1 person and being cramped would be no fun. For a little more $$ over a solo you can get a two person and if you go with one of the UL options, there is no weight penalty, in fact the 2 person UL is lighter than a solo tent in a lot of cases. Also think resale. You buy a 1 person and then want to upgrade, what's the market for a used 1 person tent? And if you ever take a companion, then you have the room. I have been looking at the options from MLD, SMD, Tarptent and LightHeart. These are all UL options, but extremely roomy and all sub 2lb for a 2 person...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++