WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default First UL packing list

Ok so ive been slimming down my pack over the past few months. and i have finally gotten it down to about 14lbs base pack weight. Does anybody have any further suggestions or opinions.

Granite gear vapor trail
    Trash bag liner

Hennessey hammock explorer
    With the larger hex tarp

Eureka 30 degree sleeping bag
    I take a Therm a rest pro lite plus or a KAQ synthetic under quilt

Ti cook set
    Optimus crux canister stove
    Steripen and aquamira filter straw
    3x 1.0L platy soft bottles

Patagonia capaline 2 long sleve
    Synthetic underwear
    Smartwool hiking socks x2
    Synthetic shorts
    Driducks rain jacket
    Under armour light microflece

Gerber paraframe pocket knife
    Princeton tec quad head lamp
    Duct tape
    50ft of dynema rope
    Memo pad and pencil
    s-beiner #2 (x5)
    bug spray
    bandana
    compass thermometer combo
    first aid kit
    map of area

tooth brush and paste
    teepee
    camp soap

gopro hd camera
    iphone 4
    extra battery for steripen

I am not 100% familiar with your bag but if it is like most Eurika products, it is well made, inexpensive and a bit heavy. I love my Marmot Atom 40 which is 1lb 5 oz and quite warm, a legitimate 40 degree bag, especially for someone from Florida.

If you feel the need for something warmer, you can probably still drop weight by going for a bag above 850 fill.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jagglax View Post
    Ok so ive been slimming down my pack over the past few months. and i have finally gotten it down to about 14lbs base pack weight. Does anybody have any further suggestions or opinions.

Granite gear vapor trail
    Trash bag liner

Hennessey hammock explorer
    With the larger hex tarp Good coverage for the price, but heavy. I'd get a sil tarp instead
    Eureka 30 degree sleeping bag Consider a down top quilt
    I take a Therm a rest pro lite plus or a KAQ synthetic under quilt Consider a down underquilt

Ti cook set
    Steripen and aquamira filter straw Switch to Aqua Mira
    3x 1.0L platy soft bottles

Synthetic underwear
    Synthetic shorts
    Driducks rain jacket

Duct tape
    50ft of dynema rope
    Memo pad and pencil
    s-beiner #2 (x5) Leave 'em at home
    bug spray Treat your clothing with permethrin instead and leave at home
    bandana
    first aid kit
    map of area

tooth brush and paste
    teepee
    camp soap

gopro hd camera
    iphone 4
    extra battery for steripen Drop this, no need if you change to Aqua Mira
    My suggestions in red. Good luck.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Ounces are the little-death

- Aqua Mira will save you 3oz if you're using the Steripen Classic. Will save 1.5 oz if using the Traveler. I assume you're using one of those two.
    Personally, the convenience is worth the weight and you have a lot more to work on than that area.
    - You can swap the Driducks for a $1 2oz Walmart poncho and be fine.
    - Send back one of the longsleeves when not needed.
    - Be very conservative with the duct tape.
    - Leave carabiners
    - Leave spray
    - Leave compass/thermometer
    - Very conservative first aid
    - Map or guide? Guide is great and arguably necessary. Map is not at all.
    - Travel toothbrush and paste will be 2oz total.
    - Cut the soap in half.
    - No extra batteries. Just pick them up in towns. You can always find them. Also, use lithiums, not alkaline, in case you don't already know that.

Are you only taking longsleeves?
    Stuffsacks?
    Floss? Your dentist will be appalled.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Get a scale, and post weights.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Toilet paper and hand sanitizer.

Personally I like a compass and thermometer. A compass can be pretty reassuring if you go brain dead after breaking camp and hiking in the morning and you start wondering if you went in the right direction (maybe that just happens to me?).

I like knowing the temp too - don't know why it matters though.

Garlic
    Images

Nice job for a first list. Good suggestions above, too. Consider a single-edged razor blade instead of the pocket knife, unless you use the pocket knife a lot for something.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

-3 empty soda bottles will likely be lighter than the soft nalgenes. i don't own any of them so i can't weigh them to see.

-why do you have a pair of shorts?

-i'd keep the bugspray and the rain jacket in florida. permethrin only works on your clothing, which will likely be shorts and a T.

-yep you need TP and hand sanitizer

-iphone 4 won't take pictures? or are you a big camera guy?

-you can probably shave some weight off that sleeping bag. got cash? buy a down top quilt. broke? cut off the zipper and hood and sew it up.

-do you love the hennessey? there are lighter sleeping options out there. grand trunk comes to mind if you're not a big guy.

-yep someone else said you can def. save some weight on your tarp. cuben if you have lots of money. sil if you don't. think wilderness logics tadpole...

-the long sleeve base layer and UA microfleece seem redundant. can you take one or the other and use your rain jacket if you get cool? perhaps a montbell vest can work into the mix...
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Default thanks for the ideas

I like my Eureka 30 .. its heavy 34oz but not that bad. Im saving up for a nice down bag but that will b a while.

My Hennessy hex tarp is the sil model at 18oz for a BIG tarp.

KAQ underquilt 18oz ... again price is a issue for me .. its the best i can do for now. When its warm i take a short therm a rest ridge rest 9oz. Eventually i want the warbonnet yeti.

im a little over cautious with my water. I dont want to use chemicals. the steripen with a aquamira filter as a back up works pretty good for me.

I have the steripen protector. its the military model. Its exactly the same as the adventurer.

the steripen does not fit into narrow neck bottles. I need ideas for light bottles that fit the steripen. the large Gatorade bottles does not work.

I like my hennessy. when bugs or cold are not an issue. I have sometimes take my eno with whoopie slings. its about 16oz with suspension.

My long sleeve patagonia is a back up hiking shirt. and the UA micro fleece as a thermal layer.

my friend has the standard sil HH tarp which is 11oz and my hex tarp is 18oz. so depending on the trip i can take either.

Thanks for all your help.

Images

can you treat in your cookpot and just pour that into soda bottles?
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Ounces are the little-death

Are you sure your Steripen doesn't work in Gatorade bottles? I have the classic, which is larger, and it works fine in 32oz and 20oz Gatorade bottles. Even Powerade, which have a smaller opening.
    You seem to have reasons you want or need all your heavy gear. It's hard to go very light like that.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

A very good start on a UL gear list. I'll offer a few suggestions on this one as well, since it's fairly similar to my own gear list in a lot of places.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagglax View Post

Granite gear vapor trail
    Trash bag liner

Hennessey hammock explorer [I'd trade this one in for a lighter Hennessy if you like the design. I use a Hyperlight Backpacker, but that's only good if you're less than 6' tall. Try the Ultralight Backpacker if you're taller. Both are much lighter than the Explorers and, despite the lighter-weight materials, stand up to wear very well.]
    With the larger hex tarp [There are much lighter tarps at the same size than the Hennessy models, even the silnylon ones. Try the Jacks R Better hex tarps; the silnylon is the same size as the Hennessy and only 12.8oz, while the spinnaker is only 9.9oz. I use a MYOG hex tarp of the same design that's even lighter, but there's no way to do that unless you're willing to sew.]

Eureka 30 degree sleeping bag [I know you said you like this bag, but ditch it in favor of a top-quilt and keep the under-quilt below. I'll part with the others and tell you to go synthetic here as well. Down is all well and good, but synthetics have finally caught up in the weight-to-warmth department and have many other advantages.]
    I take a Therm a rest pro lite plus or a KAQ synthetic under quilt

Ti cook set [Strip this down as much as you can. You'll need only the pot and lid plus a cup or mug and a bowl or cozy, especially if you're doing freezerbag cooking.]
    Steripen and aquamira filter straw [Here I'm going to contradict everyone else: get a gravity filter. Mine uses a Sawyer ceramic microfilter and an old 2L platy bottle and comes in at 1.5oz less than the Steripen. It doesn't run out of power, is easy to clean, and gives you water right now rather than later (like Aqua Mira) without chemical taste.]
    3x 1.0L platy soft bottles [Ditch two of the 1L platys for a 2L.]

Synthetic underwear
    Synthetic shorts
    Driducks rain jacket

Duct tape
    50ft of dynema rope
    Memo pad and pencil
    s-beiner #2 (x5) [Despite all the other advice, you should keep these in your kit. As a fellow hanger, I can tell you they are indispensable when you need to hang things from your straps, ropes and ridgeline, which you'll want to do all the time. Nothing else will do the job as well and those little Nite-eyes are amazingly light for their strength.]
    bug spray
    bandana
    first aid kit
    map of area

tooth brush and paste
    teepee
    camp soap

gopro hd camera
    iphone 4
    extra battery for steripen
    All in all, a good list. Keep looking and playing with gear and you'll get that base weight down even lower.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Steripens are awful for thru hikes. mine broke ( steripen adventurer) refused to work after 100 miles this year on the AT. Use bleach based chemicals. or nothing at all... But, you are doing pretty good man. aside from little things you will realize you dont need, underwear, 2nd shirt, rope(bear lines are for noobs, just sleep with it!), and a lighter hammock you got it. unless you wanted to upgrade to a cuben fiber setup and other ounce counting gear, you are doing great. keep up the good work. but, lose the steripen. they are garbage. also you get to lose the weight of xtra batteries, that are also expensive as hell!

oh i forgot, dont carry maps. download them on your phone. you can also lose the compass with it.

++ New Posts ++