WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trying to sort out cold weather gear & the down vs. fleece hike/camp issues

I'm planning my thru-hike for 2012, but haven't done much cold weather hiking. I've sorted out most my gear but am having issues with the cold weather jackets. I've read about wearing down at camp, and often not needing more than a base layer, midlayer, and rain/wind jacket for hiking.

I guess my question is whether the midlayer is a heavier piece of clothing (like a fleece pullover), or something lighter like a long sleeve shirt? And if it isn't a fleece or something heavy like that, then could a fleece jacket be suitable for camp, rather than a down jacket?

I'm trying to decide if I need to buy both a fleece and down, or if one is preferable to the other for camp. The Clymb has a sale on mountain hardware, and I don't know if I should take advantage of buying a fleece, down, or both right now.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Check out the "Clothing System" section in this tried and true cold weather AT gear list from Winton Porter (ignore the popup). Add a 100 weight fleece if you want. Tweak for summer to go lighter.

I carried a MontBell down jacket for camp only and used the fleece (in New England) if needed when stopping for lunch during the day to knock the chill off. Remember, you generate heat when hiking and most people overkill in the clothing department.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Spokes; 09-26-2011 at 14:39.

Journal Entries

I was a slow hiker and usually arrived at camp late, made my dinner and crawled into my bag and went to sleep, therefore I didn't need much in the way of camp clothing. Others arrived at camp early and their bodies cooled down and they needed lots of camp clothing plus a fire to stay warm. (They were generally always cold.) Just figure out where you fall on the cold spectrum and you'll have a better understanding of what you'll need.

Images

You don't mention what your start date is going to be. Starting early would require more cold weather gear.

I've mostly used a fleece pullover instead of a down jacket. Although I did use down on the PCT. I like fleece on the AT because if it does happen to get damp, you're not screwed. In colder months, I carried a 300 wt fleece (I'm a cold sleeper and get chilled easily). When I picked up my warm weather bag, I changed over to a 100 wt fleece. YMMV.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

For cold weather, and I am cold person and started March 5, for camp I had a smartwool long sleeve top, mid weight polartec fleece pants for camp, a fleece pullover and a down jacket. Of course hat and gloves. I would still take the same to start. That's me. Later on I replaced the down jacket with a Montbell light insulated jacket. I erred on the side of caution as I hate being cold at night.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Ahh I should've mentioned my start date. I was planning on leaving after March 15, but before April 1. So my biggest question would be whether I needed a down for camp, or as fleece is my personal preference. I would not want to buy both if I could avoid it. It sounds like I probably wouldn't need a heavy or down jacket for hiking, so it's a decision of fleece vs. down for camp. Down may be the warmer (?) jacket though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
    Ahh I should've mentioned my start date. I was planning on leaving after March 15, but before April 1. So my biggest question would be whether I needed a down for camp, or as fleece is my personal preference. I would not want to buy both if I could avoid it. It sounds like I probably wouldn't need a heavy or down jacket for hiking, so it's a decision of fleece vs. down for camp. Down may be the warmer (?) jacket though.
    For camp? Down by all means. Just keep it dry. I'd go with the Western Mountaineering Meltdown jacket, as below:

From
    http://www.westernmountaineering.com...s&ContentId=56

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    For camp? Down by all means. Just keep it dry. I'd go with the Western Mountaineering Meltdown jacket, as below:

From
    http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Down Garments&cat=Jackets and Vests&ContentId=56
    How low can you go with that alone?

The WM Meltdown jacket looks like it would be incredibly warm. I would definitely be able to take that jacket below freezing with just a shirt on underneath. I'll be starting the trail during the same time period as you and I will be bringing my Mountain Hardwear Hooded PL Compressor Jacket (synthetic) and a midweight fleece (mainly because I already own them). The fleece is for hiking in really cold weather, and both will be worn for chillin' in camp (pun intended).

As you mentioned, you will rarely need an insulation layer while you're hiking. At times I hiked through temps in the teens with only a longsleeve wool baselayer and a rain jacket.

As for your primary insulation layer, "puffy" insulators like down and synthetic down (i.e. Primaloft) are lighter and compact smaller than fleece, but you should avoid hiking in them since you can quickly soak them with sweat. Fleece tends to breathe better so you can hike in it if need be, but it is heavier and bulkier.

I didn't carry a midlayer. For me, a baselayer for hiking, an insulation layer (heavy for winter and lighter for summer), and a rain jacket were just fine. The rain jacket will add a lot of warmth when you're hiking.
    This is an adventure.

++ New Posts ++