WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

There is not much call for Thru-hiker guide books on this end of the trail. The only maps, etc, I've seen sold in Gorham, the notch or even North Conway are strickly for local stuff.

Joseph, you really should have ordered a guide book on line well before leaving for this trip. Not having one will make life very difficult.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The dungeon at Lakes is for emergency use only and is normally postedthat way. There is some enforcement of the rule on occasion. It normally reaks of urine and is definitely not a pleasant place to spend a night.
    true, not the most pleasant place to stay, but if one realizes they can't do the entire traverse of the pressies in one day, especially with daylight hours getting shorter, it's a better option then potentially hiking in the dark, with potential bad weather.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The dungeon at Lakes is for emergency use only and is normally postedthat way. There is some enforcement of the rule on occasion. It normally reaks of urine and is definitely not a pleasant place to spend a night.
    but if he gets into a spot that he would need to crash, its an option. Just one of those things that is good to know if an emergency were to present itself

I'm heading through portland on my way down so I'll see if EMS carries a map and hopefully a guide book. As far as resupply goes, can anyone give me an idea of how far of a hike it is down out of the mountains for resupply points. And if there's anyone here who as hiked southbound in the whites....can you give me an idea of your itinerary? How much food you started with....where you made your first resupply....and so on. I'm just trying to get a basic idea of the schedule I'll be facing, and trying to decide what the most food I'll need for a stretch may be. Any ideas on how you worked your food, how many miles you covered per day, and how many days I can expect to be on trail without the possibility of resupply would be helpful. thanks.

I'm not telling you how to hike your hike, but the following is what I do when I hike the Whites southbound. Keep in mind that I usually do this in July or August when everything is in full swing in the Whites.....also, I am old compared to you, so this might seem slow.

Day 1- Rt. 2 (Gorham, NH) to Carter Notch Hut- This is now a full service Hut and is usually one of the last to close for the year and should be open for you.

Day 2- Carter Notch Hut to Pinkham Notch- I stay here because I can't pass up the Lodge and food, and because my knees are usually hurting from coming down Wildcat. I usually split the lodging with another hiker to save some money.

Day 3- Pinkham Notch to "The Perch"- The Perch is a RMC Lean-to that is below tree line; however, it sets me up so that I don't have to stay at Lakes of the Clouds Hut. It's a fee lean-to but is only $5. There are also tent platforms there.

Day 4- "The Perch" to Crawford Notch- I get up really early and get to the top of Mt. Washington, take the obligitory photo, have a chili dog then hump it on into Crawford Notch. I usually stay at the hostel or the Highland Center where the food is good and you can get a ride to town pretty easy for resupply.

Day 5- Crawford Notch to Galehead Hut- I usually try and get work for stay here, not sure if it will be open when you get there.

Day 6- Galehead Hut to Liberty Springs Tent site- This is a fantastic stretch of trail!

Day 7- Liberty Springs to Franconia Notch- It's all down hill and I hitch into North Woodstock where I usually stay at the Carriage Motel, eat good and buy snacks for the trail.

Day 8- Franconia Notch to Kinsman Notch- I have to admit that I slack this section most times, and I hitch back to North Woodstock for another night at the Carriage Motel.

Day 9- Kinsman Notch to Glencliff, NH- Moosilauke can be a tough climb when the weather is bad, but when I get to the road in Glencliff, I sometimes stay at the hostel, or I hitch back to N. Woodstock get what I need to get me to Hanover, NH.

I realize that my way isnt cheap, and will more than likely invite ridicule here on Whiteblaze, but it might help give you an idea of how to do it. Have a great hike!

Quote Originally Posted by josephbonney View Post
    I'm heading through portland on my way down so I'll see if EMS carries a map and hopefully a guide book. As far as resupply goes, can anyone give me an idea of how far of a hike it is down out of the mountains for resupply points. And if there's anyone here who as hiked southbound in the whites....can you give me an idea of your itinerary? How much food you started with....where you made your first resupply....and so on. I'm just trying to get a basic idea of the schedule I'll be facing, and trying to decide what the most food I'll need for a stretch may be. Any ideas on how you worked your food, how many miles you covered per day, and how many days I can expect to be on trail without the possibility of resupply would be helpful. thanks.
    Just to give you a heads up, maybe wait to leave late next week. There is a LOT of rain heading this way til about Thurs. Next weekend looks great. Id carry a pretty good amount of food. If you do hike in the weather, you wontr have a very good chance at trying to hitch into N Woodstock, not a long hitch, because not many people will be out.

Jim is it? Thanks very much. This is extremely helpful to me, and I appreciate you taking the time to lay it out for me!

If I should decide to tough it out and go in the weather, what would you consider "a pretty good amount of food"? to be?

If I should decide to tough it out and go in the weather, what would you consider "a pretty good amount of food"? to be?
    Bout 2 pounds a day. Typically try and have 3-4 days worth, betting on 4 days worth depending on your pace. Whites are rugged.

Great, I'll be sure to carry at least 4 days supply. Any tips on meals/kinds of food to bring you've learned over the years anyone?

Great, I'll be sure to carry at least 4 days supply. Any tips on meals/kinds of food to bring you've learned over the years anyone?
    Pita and peanut butter, bagels pack well if you compress them.

Simply put. If you are not ready or prepared to hike the whites in possible full on winter conditions skip it!!!! Head to MA because VT is trashed after the Tropical storm. I'll be up there in NH this Tuesday - Sunday and snow at elevation will be an issue. I'll be taking my Katoolas spikes.

I just done this hike a few weeks ago. Start at;1 Gorham- Imp shealter. 2 Imp- Carter Hut. 3 Carter- Osgoog tentsite. 4 Os- Vallet Way tentsite. 5 VW.-Lakes Dungon. 6 Ld.-Nauman Tentsite. That will get you over the Presidentials. I would have someone take a mail drop to Pinkham Notch & when you come down to Francoia Notch hich a ride into Lincon for surplies. If you can send a mail drop to Glenclif O.P. You can stay at the hostel there. Next place to pick up surplies will be Andover. OK.

I just done this hike a few weeks ago. Start at;1 Gorham- Imp shealter. 2 Imp- Carter Hut. 3 Carter- Osgoog tentsite. 4 Os- Vallet Way tentsite. 5 VW.-Lakes Dungon.  6 Ld.-Nauman Tentsite.  That will get you over the Presidentials.  I would have someone take a mail drop to Pinkham Notch & when you come down to Francoia Notch hich a ride into Lincon for surplies.  If you can send a mail drop to Glenclif O.P.  You can stay at the hostel there.  Next place to pick up surplies will be Andover. OK.

Quote Originally Posted by canoehead View Post
    Simply put. If you are not ready or prepared to hike the whites in possible full on winter conditions skip it!!!! Head to MA because VT is trashed after the Tropical storm. I'll be up there in NH this Tuesday - Sunday and snow at elevation will be an issue. I'll be taking my Katoolas spikes.
    He is going to do what he is going to do so just try to prepare him for it. Once you guys get above 3000 it should get interesting.

Journal Entries

I hiked thru the Whites the week before and after Irene. Weather there can be demanding, even during the best of times. I found it slow due to the trail so prepare yourself for low Milagros, unless you're in great shape, but the weather can upset your plans. Possible resupply points:Pinkham Notch (mail drop) (Hitch into Gorham?)Crawford Notch (maildrop)Franconia Notch (maildrop? or hitch/shuttle to Lincoln )NH 112 (same as Franconia)Glencliff (maildrop)NH25A (Hitch into Dartmouth Skiway Dorchester rd; (tough hitch into Lyme, not much there do you feel lucky)Etna-Hanovet Rd.(Etna General Store, Tigger's Hostel? )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++