WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Advice on my Thru Hike gear list

First off, sorry for making another gear list post, i know there are a lot of these on here, but I think its worth it. I joined this site in 2006 with dreams of a Thru Hike that year, here I am 5 years later and my dream is finally comming true, funny how things work out.

Most of my gear is things I already own, and I know that I could cut weight but being a full time student, and working part time means I can't afford most of the stuff I would want.

Pack - Osprey Aether 70 (yes its big and heavy, but its what I got and it carries well and i like it)

Bag - EMS Boreal 20 (I know its not down, and its slightly heavy, but it keeps me warm)

Tent - EMS Velocity 1 (Again I know I could go with a tarp, or a lighter tent, but its what I can afford thanks for the EMS student discount, and some gear bucks cards I have, I saved a lot on it)

Kitchen - GSI soloist (minus the bowl it comes with), Pocket Rocket, Spork.

Water - MSR hiker pro, Platypus 2L, I will probably carry some random water bottles too if I need more water.

Pad - BA air core (Im a side sleeper, so I think im going with this over my Zlite) I will also be taking a small pillow, I value a good nights sleep

Headlamp - PTech Fuel

Tools/other - Small swiss army knife, Osprey pack cover, ziplock bags, garbage bag, Stuff sack, food bag, Compression bag for my sleeping bag, 2 bandanas, Guide book, duck tape around trekking poles, small first aid kit, small bottle of camp soap, tooth brush, tooth paste, small sewing/repair kit, 50ft of paracord.

Clothing
    - 2 EMS short sleeve synth t shirts
    - long sleeve EMS synth shirt
    - 3 Pairs of socks (smartwool)
    - Columbia lightweight fleece
    - Insulated Jacket (Havn't bought this yet, not sure which to take yet, advice would be helpful)
    - Columbia Rain Jacket (Might upgrade this to something better)
    - Columbia Rain Pants
    - Fleece pants (Got a pair of really lightweight, and warm fleece pants as a xmas gift, love these)
    - Adidas running shorts
    - Fleece Gloves
    - 2 pairs EMS synth undies
    - Balaclava
    - EMS hiking pants
    - Base layer top/bottom (Kohls brand, I like them but I might upgrade to something better maybe EMS techwick, or capilene)

Im sure I missed a few things, but any advice/tips/points/comment would be great.

And I did forget to mention some things, Leki Poles, OR gaiters, and Ill be wear Merrell moab vents

Images

You don't need gloves if you are taking 3 pairs of socks, or I would ditch one of the pairs of socks. I don't think you need an insulated jacket and a fleece, I would pick one. What about a tiny bottle of sunscreen? Even most UL hikers carry sunscreen. You could get a SMD skyscape scout for $125 and it's 34 ounces. What about a hat? Are you using the garbage bag as a pack liner? Are you taking a camera? If your jacket doesn't have a hood you might also want a wool cap.

This is the only gear list you'll need to compare against. Add a trash compactor bag for a pack liner and tweak it to go even lighter in warm weather. Ignore the pop-up if you get one.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_0...s/12659?page=4

Ive thought about sun screen, im leaving it at home. I don't burn, never wear it ever, plus i have a mop on my head which protects me. It regards to the gloves, maybe ill get a lighter pair. I've seen that BP list before, i don't think some of those things are for me, no offense. thanks for the input

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'd take Aqua mira for water.
    The list looks pretty good. I mean you do have some heavier stuff, but if it works for you, take it.
    If your pants are convertibles, you don't need running shorts
    I actually never carried sunscreen myself You will need DEET up the trail, maybe a head net.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

First off, sorry for making another gear list post, i know there are a lot of these on here, but I think its worth it. I joined this site in 2006 with dreams of a Thru Hike that year, here I am 5 years later and my dream is finally comming true, funny how things work out.

Most of my gear is things I already own, and I know that I could cut weight but being a full time student, and working part time means I can't afford most of the stuff I would want.

Pack - Osprey Aether 70 (yes its big and heavy, but its what I got and it carries well and i like it)Pretty Common pack

Bag - EMS Boreal 20 (I know its not down, and its slightly heavy, but it keeps me warm)

Tent - EMS Velocity 1 (Again I know I could go with a tarp, or a lighter tent, but its what I can afford thanks for the EMS student discount, and some gear bucks cards I have, I saved a lot on it) Will be fine, I carried a 4.5 pound tent and it worked just fine. Justify it by not staying in shelters

Kitchen - GSI soloist (minus the bowl it comes with), Pocket Rocket, Spork.

Water - MSR hiker pro, Platypus 2L, I will probably carry some random water bottles too if I need more water. Ditch the filter, Aqua Mira. Most of the time you wont need anything. Keep the platy and carry one Nalgene, 2 at the most. Use the wide mouthed, easier to cllect water with

Pad - BA air core (Im a side sleeper, so I think im going with this over my Zlite) I will also be taking a small pillow, I value a good nights sleep If you are carrying as much clothing as you listed, leave the pillow at home, use a stuff sack with your clothes in it

Headlamp - PTech Fuel

Tools/other - Small swiss army knife, Osprey pack cover, ziplock bags, Conpactor Grade garbage bag, Stuff sack, food bag, Compression bag for my sleeping bag, 1 bandanas, Guide book, duck tape around trekking poles and lighters, small first aid kit ziplock with band aids, iburofen, , small bottle of camp soap dont need, tooth brush, tooth paste, small sewing/repair kit, 50ft of paracord. ​2-3 bic lighters,

Clothing
    - 2 EMS short sleeve synth t shirts Carry one and keep the other in your bounce box
    - long sleeve EMS synth shirt Dont need if you are carrying a fleece
    - 2 Pairs of socks (smartwool)
    - Columbia lightweight fleece
    - Insulated Jacket (Havn't bought this yet, not sure which to take yet, advice would be helpful) Dont worry if yoiu are carrying a fleece and a jacket. With the Jacket, fleece and thermals, you will stay warm
    - Columbia Rain Jacket (Might upgrade this to something better) check EMS website, they have been marking jackets alot lately
    - Columbia Rain Pants
    - Fleece pants (Got a pair of really lightweight, and warm fleece pants as a xmas gift, love these) If you can live without them, dont carry em
    - Adidas running shorts
    - Fleece Gloves
    - 2 pairs EMS synth undies
    - Balaclava Carry a winter hat instead, Bala is too much
    - EMS hiking pants Look at the convertable pants that way you can leace the running shorts
    - Base layer top/bottom (Kohls brand, I like them but I might upgrade to something better maybe EMS techwick, or capilene) Carried Capilene and love them, still going strong too after 4 years

Im sure I missed a few things, but any advice/tips/points/comment would be great.

Gear list looks good.

Don't let people talk you out of your water filter... I just got off the trail and many times water was hard to get to without one where the supply was too shallow to fill a bottle with. Aquamira is nice to have also for when you don't need to filter but still question the sources purity.

Also unless you like the smell of your dirty laundry between towns, the pillow is a good idea... I used the cloths in a stuff sack method and it was unpleasant when all your stuff was wet and/or skanked up. Also when its cold out you will be wearing a good bit of your cloths whichs makes the pillow tiny.

A lot of people on here are telling you that you don't need a fleece and an insulated jacket. That depends on when you are starting. If you start late March/early April with the pack, I agree that two heavy insulation layers is probably overkill, but if you are starting earlier you might be very glad to have them both. I started in February with a synthetic insulation jacket (Primaloft) and a down vest and I was very glad to have them both on multiple occasions. You can always ditch one when the weather is warmer or if you find you don't need it.

I carried zipoff pants for hiking and a pair of running shorts to wear while doing laundry. If you carry rain pants (most people don't), you can wear those for laundry instead.

For the most part, your gear list looks pretty good. Not a lot of superfluous stuff. Once you get on the trail you will certainly make some adjustments depending on your own personal preferences. Everyone does.
    This is an adventure.

Thanks for the advice chaco taco, your name makes me hungry. Im still up in the air with my clothing options,i might not get the jacket and use your suggestion on the fleece/jacket to keep warm combo. With the pants and shorts, Im very OCDish with clothes, and everytime ive worn convertable pants, the zipper touching my legs makes me go crazy. I just checked out the EMS site, good heads up on the jackets man! I hope these sales are not just online only, theres a girl that works at the EMS by me, and gives me the student discount even on iteams that are on sale already (I think she likes me, although i can not for the life of me fathom why) As for the water filter, I don't think im going to switch it for AM, i just feel safe with the filter

As for the camp pillow.....NOT FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS

I carried one long sleeve shirt (merino wool baselayer) in the colder months for hiking - push up the sleeves on warmer days and voila - short sleeves! In the warmer months I ditched the wool shirt and got a synth short sleeve hiking shirt.

My balaclava was one of my favorite pieces of gear and I carried it the entire trip. When it was really cold it was a lifesaver; when its cool but not super cold can be rolled up and worn as a beanie (no need for another hat). I also liked to wear it at night pulled down over my eyes (helped me sleep).
    This is an adventure.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MattC View Post
    As for the camp pillow.....NOT FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS
    That's exactly how I feel. If my neck isn't comfortable, and I wake up with neck pain, forget hiking that day.

Thats the beauty of it. People here can tell you all they want but when it gets down to it, its all about what you like. There are some things I carried that I still have today. The pillow thing was something that took me awhile to get. I just got used to sleeping on my "skanked up" stuff and got used to it. Your list looks good, I just know how much stuff I ended up sending home as I stayed out longer. Either way, you are in pretty good shape, you will get there with it. The more you hike before then the better because then you will know what you like and dont like. Have fun with it

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    This is the only gear list you'll need to compare against. Add a trash compactor bag for a pack liner and tweak it to go even lighter in warm weather. Ignore the pop-up if you get one.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_0...s/12659?page=4
    When I first joined WB I thought you were a bot because every gear thread anyone posted, this was the only response you gave, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Fog Horn View Post
    When I first joined WB I thought you were a bot because every gear thread anyone posted, this was the only response you gave, lol.
    Makes ya think.....

MattC I totally know how you feel about posting "another gear thread". I'll be in your shoes soon though when I finalize everything here shortly. I'm looking forward to the cold of winter so I can see just how many clothes I'll need for the snow marching.

Quote Originally Posted by Fog Horn View Post
    MattC I totally know how you feel about posting "another gear thread". I'll be in your shoes soon though when I finalize everything here shortly. I'm looking forward to the cold of winter so I can see just how many clothes I'll need for the snow marching.
    Just sayin, that why this is here. Dont feel bad, everyone is different. I actually like looking over what others carry.

Images

ive picked up an idea or two, looking at others gear lists. Hey its not all about "we love your gear list"or "we hate your gear list"both parties benefitfrom these list postings. at least yours didnt cost $6000.(although even that list has kept us entertained.we love to ctriticize, tweak, comment debate and belittle. it battles the frustration of typing instead of hiking.
    I need to get out more.

That was, at the very least, entertaining. My list is expensive, but not that expensive. Every time I see my hiking tub I think, how in the world is that much money in that little tub?! LOL.

Most of my gear list that I started with has changed since joining WB by scouring the gear threads for advice that might work for me. I love seeing the advice that goes into every single gear thread. Some of it I listen to, some I don't. I won't leave home without three pairs of socks, for example, haha. (and I'm not hiking without some form of leave in conditioner haha)

Exactly, Chaco, this is a great place for planning because of all the diffrent advice, and methods mentioned. Im going to be doing a a bunch of shake downs before hand, so im going to try out a bunch of diffrent things. My sleeping bag has a stuff sack with fleece on the inside so it can be flipped and used as a pillow, I will def give it a shot. Im also so jealous seeing your avatar. I spent a weekend up in NH in August, what an amazing place. The Whites were out of this world. We did the Franconia Ridge loop, greatest hike of my life. You live in an amazing state.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++