WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Wilderness First Aid in Blacksburg, VA Oct. 29-30

Hi fellow hiking friends,
    There's a wilderness first aid course being held in Blacksburg, VA at Virginia Tech (open to everyone) on October 29-30, 2011. Info is at www.solowfa.com

I'm heading out to backpack 80 miles in Alpline Lakes Wilderness, Washington State. Happy trails!
    matt

To anyone who is interested in this course: it is worth it and Matt is an expert!I took the course this past spring, in Knoxville. The course hit on the 'basics' that are actually life saving!Great hands on and team work scenarios.Matt, are you married yet?Doug

Cheers Doug, and great to hear from you!

Just got back from guiding a 70-mile week-long backpacking adventure in Alpine Lakes Wilderness, Washington State. Challenging, beautiful, plus more WFA experience under my own teaching belt as I got to treat a hypothermic patient (improperly clothed despite clear list of requirements on clothing type to bring), an overused-knee injury participant, and building a tent shelter without poles ... Always an adventure! Very rewarding to be both teaching and practicing what I teach.

Not married yet, but engaged! Applied for fiancee visa (for others reading, I met her in Argentina while participating in an Intrepid Travel trip to Patagonia: she was the tour guide!), Uncle Sam says he'll take 4 to 7 months to process which means she should receive it and be able to move to Virginia sometime early next year.

Miss y'all and looking forward to my next visit to Knoxville to teach WFA, tentatively April 14-15, 2012.

matt

I'd like to take the ALS/ Advanced provider wilderness medicine course on east coast if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicWFA View Post
    Hi fellow hiking friends,
    There's a wilderness first aid course being held in Blacksburg, VA at Virginia Tech (open to everyone) on October 29-30, 2011. Info is at www.solowfa.com

I'm heading out to backpack 80 miles in Alpline Lakes Wilderness, Washington State. Happy trails!
    matt
    Welcome to Washington. Be sure to bring some warm clothing. The snow level in the Cascades was below 5,000 feet last night, so it is likely that you will experience some snow. The rain/snow season has definitely arrived in Western Washington.
    Shutterbug

Thanks Shutterbug!

txlonghorn: for advanced courses, check out the Wilderness First Responder and Wilderness EMT course offerings by SOLO: www.soloschools.com

++ New Posts ++