WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Enic View Post
    A great pack but doesn't fit the order at $250. Really, a lot of packs can be found for under $200 used, but can't pin down the perfect pack for you.
    Make sure it's big enough, without being too big. It's all up to personal hiking style, and budget. Check here is FS forum, craigslist and ebay. Good luck.
    I said the Circuit...not the Catalyst! Circuit=$200!
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    It's a public forum, aren't they all? And I'll stand by my comment. I've never heard anyone wish for a heavier pack.
    Au contraire, mon ami! When that nasty, skinny 20-something blasted past me last summer with what appeared to be a pack as heavy as mine, you'd better BELIEVE I was wishing she had a heavier pack! <sigh>

Dadgum it ! You young whippersnappers - get off'n my trail!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Journal Entries
    Images

here is a crazy idea: Kelty Trekker. You can get it from Amazon for around $100.00. Big enough for a thru. Did I mention it is an external frame pack? Let's you stand up straight, not bent over slightly at the waist, holds the weight more on your hips, and you can carry heavier loads way more comfortably. I have always felt the external frame packs are better suited for the AT.

JB

Hey:

On my 2010 AT-Thru I used a Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian, which I've seen go in the used forums for 160-200 US Dollars shipped. Granted it's a little pricey for not being new, however it held up great with the amount of gear I started with (quite a bit as I was in the snow for 500 or so of the first miles). But you can also cut the pack down for when you lighten up later in the trip.

It's just what I used, but not for everybody.

-Kevin

Default Flash 65

I second taking a look at the Flash 65. However your choice should be based on what fits you and whats fits your the rest of your gear best.

I just did 530 miles through WV and VA using the Osprey Kestrel 68 and it was a great pack. Not ultralight but not too heavy either, it is very comfortable, has enough space for everything to fit easily and is within your price range.

With 25-30 lbs in the bag you hardly know its there... when I carried beer, a bigger sleeping bag, 4.5 lbs tent and the food for both me and my partner the weight got up over 50 lbs and it was still comfortable to carry.

Default GoLite Pinnacle or Jam

Take a look at the GoLite pinnacle (70L) and Jam (54L). I have used these packs for two years and I love them but like everyone else has said its on a person by person basis.
    The poor man is not he who is without a cent, but he who is without a dream.
    "Harry Kemp"

Happy Feet
    CT 2011, PCT 2013

skip REI, Go to a local independent shop and have them fit you and make suggestions. Most of them can order most packs. I did a mystery shop at REI and as a backpacker knew what I was after size and all, they fit me completely wrong and tried to get me into a 80 liter pack when I only needed a 50. most of the time I go into an REI, I am helped by people who might car camp but don't actually hit a trail bound for the great outdoors. local shops only hire people who use the gear they sell and have more knowledge of what you need for a short or long trail.

Do get fitted though. ULA will allow you to return No questions asked if needed. I am going to get a circuit for my next pack. it was amazing when I sent that question to ULA, the owner actually emailed me back... that does say something about the company

hope that helps

Restlesss

I'm in the same boat, and I've narrowed it down to the REI Flash 50 or the Osprey Exos 58. Both are very light and have good features, IMO. But like others said...take a trip to your outfitter and try some on and see what fits!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++