WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Itchy Blisters?

Default Itchy Blisters?

I've been off the trail for a week and my blisters are healing up. I've been careful and left my work boots loose (I skip the last set of speed laces for lower pressure). The past couple nights my blisters have started itching like crazy when I get out of the shower. I haven't popped them and I am trying to let them heal completely on their own.

Any ideas?

I have to go climbing on some big steel tomorrow so I will have to be real careful with my feet. I might just tighten up my laces for better stability, but I'll gauge that when I get there. I've had blisters before and its no fun, I just want to be careful with them and let them heal up as best they can.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you think they'll pop anyway by tightening your boot, its better to take a small pin and release the liquid inside. Cover the area with a good bandaid and then duct tape. Try not to let the dead skin rip away away and expose the wound underneath though. The skin over it can help act as a cushion. Leave it in place.
    Not sure why they itch though.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Probably too late now, but you might take some Benedryl. It's good for itching of any sort, and might give you some relief. If you've got to work, I'd take it at night only, however. It might also help dry up the blistered places.

Images

If its been a few days and pampering a blister still results in fluid build-up just rip it off and smack dusty/sandy dirt on it. I know it sounds cliché but it really does work. I've had this several times from both hiking and hockey and a persistent blister heals in 24-26hr after a healthy dusting, leave the dirt on as long as you can its like a reset button on the exposed skin. Now since I don't know the size of these blisters I would not use this over the size of a nickel

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post
    If its been a few days and pampering a blister still results in fluid build-up just rip it off and smack dusty/sandy dirt on it. I know it sounds cliché but it really does work. I've had this several times from both hiking and hockey and a persistent blister heals in 24-26hr after a healthy dusting, leave the dirt on as long as you can its like a reset button on the exposed skin. Now since I don't know the size of these blisters I would not use this over the size of a nickel
    I agree with TUXEDO. I do not pamper blisters and often walk around outside in the dirt barefoot. The blisters itch because they are healing, or at least trying to heal.

Images

If they itch could it be something more than just plain blisters? Athletes foot or dermatitis?
    Seek, and you shall find.

Momma always said when they're itchin' they're healin'
    Last edited by Spokes; 09-13-2011 at 15:00.

Images

Poison Ivy

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Momma always said when their itchin' they're healin'
    I've never had blisters that itch. Guess it's 'cause I always drain them and cut off a small piece of skin so they can't fill back up.
    Seek, and you shall find.

I made it through the day OK though I had to walk around a bin with a 30-40deg slope roof (80-90' up) for a couple hours. Good exercise none-the-less. I just took my boots off and my feet are airing out. They feel much better now! The blisters were OK but I had a ton of pressure on them, didn't hurt much. I can feel them with my boots off though. I'll let them go and see what happens. I'm certainly not going to throw my hiking boots on and go trekking another 20 miles in the mountains until the blisters are gone though... The blisters are like half deflated balloons. They aren't totally puffed out but the loose skin isn't all the way sucked in yet.

Images

Are you sure they're blisters? Eczema looks like little blisters, but itches like crazy. You scratch, they pop, it hurts, they spread. So if new ones crop up, that might be something to look at.

I am positive I have blisters. Ive had them before in the same spots, a few years back after backpacking also, but the same spots none-the-less. The itchy'ness isn't noticeable all day with my boots on. Then when I take the boots off I can feel them a bit. Between taking a shower and going to bed is when they itch the most. I'll let them go for now, I just didn't know if anyone else had that and if there was a quick fix.

Off-topic, Pokey 2006, but I see you're from Gatlinburg. Is it always that much of a crazy world over there Memorial Day weekend???? We spent a few hours stuck in traffic and trying to navigate 441 down to Lakeshore Drive. We went down there to get in the wilderness, which we did (and only caught 2 other groups on the trails, and one other that set up camp, the whole 3 days), but the general touristy' traffic in the towns was insane.

Default Itchy Blisters

I'm certainly not an authority on blisters.... but itchiness IS sometimes a sign of healing or even a developing problem. I always pop the blister with a sterile needle massage the fluid out and cover with Bandaid Brand Blister Blocks. They last for several days under normal use and I have worn them to work and they didn't come off. Betadine with Leuko Tape also works very well and sticks for a few days.

Gold Bond Powder in the green container. Should work, but grit your teeth and prepare to dance for a few minutes when the stuff kicks in.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

they itch for the same reason scabs itch, they are healed and its time to pick'm.

++ New Posts ++