WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation The death of Mr. Scott Lilly all in one thread.

I have been greatly disturbed by the death of a fellow Appalachian Trail hiker, Mr. Scott Lilly. I have been reading about this tragic death on the forums, but the news and rumors are spread out across the forum. This is upsetting due to the fact this issue is a current event, and directly effects the community. We do not know how he died, but the FBI has labeled it 'suspicious'. I have read a post that says he was found in a 'shallow grave'. As I know no animal that digs a grave for a human, and then puts the human in it, I am convinced that Mr. Lilly was attacked somehow for some reason by a human.

If everyone agrees, should we make this the 'one stop shop' of sorts to follow this issue until it is found out what happened for sure? I think the WhiteBlaze community should take this as serious as possible and follow this story as best we can, and put all info into this thread. I hope we can find a consensus.

- Michael

The FBI has requested the Appalachian Trail Conservancy to send out the following revised press release, dated today, about the Scott “Stonewall” Lilly investigation.

Federal Bureau of Investigation
    Richmond Division
    1970 East Parham Road
    Richmond, Virginia 23228

UPDATE OF INVESTIGATION INTO SUSPICIOUS DEATH IN THE
    GEORGE WASHINGTON NATIONAL FOREST

On August 12, 2011, hikers reported the discovery of a deceased individual located near a hiking trail in close proximity to the Appalachian Trail, in the Northwest part of Amherst County, Virginia. Investigators from the Amherst County Sheriff’s Office, the Virginia State Police, the United States Forest Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation responded to the scene and the body was transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, Virginia Department of Health.

Subsequent investigation identified the victim as Mr. Scott Lilly of South Bend, Indiana, known by the trail name “Stonewall.” It appears Mr. Lilly was hiking the Appalachian Trail and the circumstances of his death are suspicious.

While this multiagency investigation is ongoing, and the release of information may be limited, it is important for the public to be aware that no information has been developed by these agencies that would lead investigators to believe other hikers would be targeted. However, hikers are encouraged to continue exercising the usual precautions while on any trail.

Information provided by the public thus far has been extremely beneficial in advancing this investigation. Investigators are now seeking to locate and identify several additional hikers, who while using the following trail names, may have had contact with Mr. Lilly. These individuals are:

“Mr. Coffee”
    “White Wolf”
    “Papa Smurf”
    “Combat Gizmo” and “Space Cadet” (possibly a husband/wife team)

Anyone with information regarding these individuals is once again urged to call the FBI at 1-800-225-5324, option #4 (1-800-CALL FBI, #4).

###

Laurie Potteiger
    Information Services Manager
    Appalachian Trail Conservancy
    799 Washington Street | P.O. Box 807
    Harpers Ferry, WV 25425-0807
    Phone: 304.535.2200 x128
    [email protected]
    www.appalachiantrail.org

lilly-scott.jpg

Here is the google news link for the various reports on his death.

http://news.google.com/news/story?hl...ed=0CCMQqgIwAA

Here is a larger picture of the deceased.

351789400-19091252.jpg

And here is the man who the FBI has said is a "person of interest". His trail name is "Papa Smurf". Click to see larger size if needed.

Appalachian-Trail-Photographer-Rooster005.jpg
    If you see this man, contact the FBI. ASAP.

Federal Bureau of Investigation
    Richmond Division
    1970 East Parham Road
    Richmond, Virginia 23228

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Great thread! Keep up the good work! First time i've actually seen what this Papa Smurf fella looks like. I know you can't judge a book by it's cover... but this dude looks like someone I wouldn't pass up judgement on as first in line to actually take a persons life. He's got the "stare"
    -Jason

Since the threads are spread across several different forums it will take an admin to merge them all. However, I think the way the software works, when merging posts go in chronological order, so the first post here would be one of the last.

Also, Papa Smurf was first reported here on Whiteblaze as a dead beat hiker which is a separate issue.

Images

This is a good idea.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

While this guy, Papa Smurf IS a total ******* and trash ( yes, I met him in March at the Hawk Mt. Shelter, even gave him a ride to Suches ) I have seen nothing released BY THE FBI that states that he is a person of interest. I also have not seen an FBI release stating that Scott was in a shallow grave however there are animals such as bears, cougars and bobcats that will throw dirt, leaves, grass and sticks over dead prey to attempt to hide it for later consumption.

Papa Smurf definitely has some mental issues...threatening people for food, acting like a badass but just being obnoxious in the end and "bumming" EVERYTHING from whoever he can. I didn't like being around him and he made alot of others uncomfortable also. He does need to be caught up to for the outstanding warrants and dealt with but there is alot of speculation and jumping to conclusions about him. False info can hurt an investigation as much or more than correct info helping. I would like to see him and his kind kept from the trail but unless convicted of crime, he has as much right to be there as any of us. Yes, that is scary but lets just try to stick to the facts until he is found...it will help the FBI in the long run.

geek

Thanks, I think having it all in one place honors Mr. Lilly in a way. He was a human being, who was according to the FBI found dead under 'suspicious circumstances'. No one deserves this fate, especially when you are doing something you love, and are alone.

Right now the info on this case is all over the place on WhiteBlaze and I feel it should be in one place so those who are following this incident will know exactly where to go.

As for Papa Smurf, I would consider him a suspect simply for the fact that he is a known thief, is disturbed, and has shown aggressive behavior towards other hikers. But this thread is not to flame Papa Smurf, even though he is a scumbag that ripped off fellow member Birchy.

This thread is for Mr. Lilly.

I am very eager to see justice for Mr. Lilly.

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny2012 View Post
    As for Papa Smurf, I would consider him a suspect simply for the fact that he is a known thief, is disturbed, and has shown aggressive behavior towards other hikers. But this thread is not to flame Papa Smurf, even though he is a scumbag that ripped off fellow member Birchy.

So who do we call if we see Papa Smurf on the trail?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Local authorities or 911

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries

Default The downfall of "Papa Smurf"!

Quote Originally Posted by jacob_springsteen View Post
    Just get a bunch of hardy folks together, tussle him to the ground, tie him to the nearest tree, and go call the fuzz......
    Last edited by HikerRanky; 09-12-2011 at 22:27. Reason: Closing quote fix

Quote Originally Posted by jacob_springsteen View Post
    Depending on how this plays out, "Mr. Smurf" has probably already spent his last night on the Appalachian Trail, so actually running into him is remote. I say this because it appears that he gets a monthly VA Disabililty check, so he's got money right now and is probably drunk somewhere. He's the type that only hikes when he's broke or nearly broke, and since he got paid last week, he probably has no interest in the trail right now. Also, given his track record, he'll get arrested for public intoxication or some other petty crime long before he gets back to the trail. However, should you run into him on the trail, just keep on hiking until you can get to a phone to call the FBI phone number given in the ATC Press Release.....and obviously be careful, and don't camp with him or hike with him.
    Last edited by Just a Hiker; 09-08-2011 at 18:11.

Images

I agree this has me pretty rattled also since I was thinking of doing a short solo and now have thought differently of it. But I do like the idea that his memory is respected among other hikers and can only hope it was not a hiker that has done something tragic. However, there are many ways a person can die it could be natural causes, suicide, overdose, accidental or homicidal so until the FBI or investigating agency gives any details as to the autopsy it needs to be kept into prospective. My heart goes out to his family and friends.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny2012 View Post
    Thanks, I think having it all in one place honors Mr. Lilly in a way. He was a human being, who was according to the FBI found dead under 'suspicious circumstances'. No one deserves this fate, especially when you are doing something you love, and are alone.

Right now the info on this case is all over the place on WhiteBlaze and I feel it should be in one place so those who are following this incident will know exactly where to go.

There sure are a lot of amature internet detectives pulling a bunch of bull out of thin air. There is more than one hiker on the trail that is using the noms de guerre "Papa Smurf" and yet everyone seems to be fixed on this particular one named Clay. All the while other threads about Clay and his antics point to the likelyhood that he was no where near that area of Virginia at the time that Mr. Lilly died. I was recently hiking in the Mt Rogers area and read a number of trail logs with hikers using the name Papa Smurf, that were clearly not Clay, and were making entries on dates that would have possibly put them in the same general area as Mr. Lilly about the time of his death.

As also pointed out, the FBI are wanting to talk to these individuals because they may have information that will be helpful, not necessarily because they are "persons of interest." Wild speculations do not help the investigation.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I don't know whether the FBI has located those individuals they wished to contact. I recently saw in Trail Journals that a "White Wolf" had summitted Katahdin on August 18th.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by budforester View Post
    I don't know whether the FBI has located those individuals they wished to contact. I recently saw in Trail Journals that a "White Wolf" had summitted Katahdin on August 18th.
    Don’t bother White Wolf… I contacted him days ago and I’m told that he already talked to the FBI.

Images

It is kind of disturbing how little information is being made public. I am doing a section hike south of there and would like to know if I need to be on the lookout for a gun toting nut case. Maybe I will take the bear spray. My families' prayers to the Lilly family and friends.

Any news on this? I too find it odd that the flow of info has seemingly stopped. Did authorities ever find "papasmurf"?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++