WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Images

I went to GOOGLE IMAGES to see if I could find any pics that might clear up the confusion.

Attached below a Bobcat, Mountain Lion, and Cougar.

I'll leave it up to you to decide but in my book it looks more like a mountain lion.

Doesn't seem to resemble the picture they had of the Bobcat, and certainly isn't anything like the pic of the Cougar

Either way, great pics and thanks for sharing....... if it were my home and kids........ I'd certainly be keeping a close eye on them until the situation is clarified....... pets too!

jd
    Attached Images Attached Images
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

click HERE to become rich!

I'd like to see that Cougar walk of the woods next to my house

But really, the OP picture looks a whole lot more like the bobcat it is then the mountain lion it is not.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseydave View Post

Either way, great pics and thanks for sharing....... if it were my home and kids........ I'd certainly be keeping a close eye on them until the situation is clarified....... pets too!

jd
    Thanks, we did notify the DEP today and I'll post any updates or any other sightings that may occur.

IMO, the coloring, stance and size look like a mountain lion to me. But it does not appear to have the tell-tale long tail and so it must be a bobcat. But from my understanding, a large one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    IMO, the coloring, stance and size look like a mountain lion to me. But it does not appear to have the tell-tale long tail and so it must be a bobcat. But from my understanding, a large one.
    It's a Bobcat.

Freaking huge Bobcat, but a Bobcat.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Bobcat vs. Mountain Lion graphic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

In the first pic, the head and shoulders look like a mountain lyon. Not much to reference the size of the animal, but it seems large for a bobcat, but small for a mtn lyon (maybe a younger one). Mtn lyons have pretty long tails, nearly body length, but accidents do happen and the tail could just simply be missing.
    I have seen bobcats and the head/face does not look like a bobcat.
    I Agree with most "experts" that the Eastern American Cougar is probably extinct, but we now have coyotes in the east, wolves in the northeast and confirmed reports of western cougars in the east. I figure a cougar is a cougar, no matter where is migrated from.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Images

I think she might be kinda young for a cougar (Don't bust on me, I am aspiring to be a cougar myself.

I went to GOOGLE IMAGES to see if I could find any pics that might clear up the confusion.

I'll leave it up to you to decide but in my book it looks more like a mountain lion.

Doesn't seem to resemble the picture they had of the Bobcat, and certainly isn't anything like the pic of the Cougar

jd
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post
    In the first pic, the head and shoulders look like a mountain lyon. Not much to reference the size of the animal, but it seems large for a bobcat, but small for a mtn lyon (maybe a younger one). Mtn lyons have pretty long tails, nearly body length, but accidents do happen and the tail could just simply be missing.
    I have seen bobcats and the head/face does not look like a bobcat.
    I agree that not much in pic to reference to size since he's at an unknown distance from the car. It would be interesting to have someone place either a dog or cat of known size in the same place and snap a pic to get an idea. I agree he looks big, but I've been fooled before WRT size in pics, sometimes pics can be very deceiving.

The pics are not good enough to make out the tufts of hair and such, but if you look at the first two pics (the third is useless) you can see the white spots on the ears and stripping on the legs.

Bobcats do go through color changes during the year and add to that they don't all look the same like cougars; some do have a tawny look, but still with strips/spots and others less of a tawny coloring and more of the strips/spot prominently displayed. How many spots are on this animal just can't be determined from the pics. Here are some more pics and you can see the differences in appearance. http://photobucket.com/images/bobcat/#!cpZZ2QQtppZZ28

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

This thread explains why there are a lot of cougar sightings on the AT.

How about posting the hi-res photos?

Images

jd
    That is a fox, not a cougar. This is a cougar.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Looks like a Bobcat to me, I have seen a bunch of them in the wild. He is pretty darned big though, definitely eating well!

BOBCAT !!! Have seen dozens in the south. Pesty little critters around here. Considered a nuisance and responsible for killing many turkeys and will take down small fawns!,, It is a huge cat though. Nice pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinose View Post
    Considered a nuisance and responsible for killing many turkeys and will take down small fawns!,, It is a huge cat though. Nice pic.
    Evidently not enough fawns since we have an exploding population of deer and turkeys ain't doing that bad. It's a predator, that's their job.

Images

Doesn't look anything like a mountain lion or cougar - since when do they have any markings? The last pic, while at a distance, clearly shows a profile of a cat without a long tail. Looks like a larger than normal bobcat. I suppose it could be an escaped exotic animal, but not sure what.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Evidently not enough fawns since we have an exploding population of deer and turkeys ain't doing that bad. It's a predator, that's their job.
    Come on down and trap all you want and bring them your way. You can have them since that's their job. I was making a point that I've seen many and for sure it was a bobcat. And yes they do a pretty good job, I have seen several surround a fawn but I was able to "scare" them off. They don't like loud noises.

Images

Great photos! Looks a bit big to be a bobcat but what do I know? Thanks for sharing!

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Mountain lions/cougars/catamounts/pumas have long tails and no markings.

The cat shown - though indeed very large - DOES have markings and no tail.

Therefore it is not a mountain lion/cougar/catamount/puma.

Bobcats are mostly English springer spaniel-sized, for anyone who is familiar with the breed. Or say, a 5-6 month old show-line labrador retriever. Here is an example of how large a bobcat generally is:

Bobcat 1.jpg

I have no doubt that the OP is showing us photographs of a bobcat. When people think bobcats, they generally picture a kitty closer in size to an adult fox, which is much, much smaller.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Here are some great pics of bobcats in the Smokies:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4903672&type=1
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Definitely a Bobcat, first photo shows pointed ears with black tips and black stripes on the chest, second two photos show a short (bobbed) tail with additional striping. Though it's hard to show definite perspective, the photo next to the car and photo of it crossing the driveway would cause me to guess a size somewhere in the range of 20-30lbs, definitely smaller than a mountain lion. Bobcats are common in Connecticut, but they're usually more elusive. They're lucky to have seen one!

Do you know what town these photos were taken in?

This is a link to a news article about bobcats in Shelton, CT. The photos show an individual with winter fur, but you can see the similarities in body shape and striping:

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/defa...on-1016814.php
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++