WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default resupply in SNP? also showers and laundry?

I'm planning a late September/early October SB section hike from Harpers Ferry through Waynesboro. In the past I've always used mail drops as my main resupply source, but in SNP I don't think I can mail myself anything unless I hitch out of the park into one of the towns (like Luray). Since I'm a lone female I don't want to count on hitching. How do most people resupply in SNP? Are the small camping stores enough to get by? I'm afraid all they'll have are canned beans-n-weanies for the car camping lot. I'm not one to live off of Snicker's bars, either (wish I could). I'm planning to spend probably ten days, maybe more (with some side trips) inside the park. And oh yes, I am looking forward to the waysides with their milkshakes and blueberry pancakes!!! Yum. Stay focused! What do people usually do for laundry/showers in the park? Does anyone know if the laundry machines have soap available, and if the showers come with soap and a towel (doubt it)? My goal is a shower every four days or so, if possible. Probably wind up using some Dr. Bronners and my small kerchief?

Images

Hiked through SNP early this summer and had no problems with resupply. Loved the hike because I didn't have to carry a lot of food (thus, saving pack weight). I was able to do the entire park in 6 days and had a shower at Big Meadows. There was no towel (for free) or soap. The showers cost a dollar and I think you can "rent" a towel for a buck as well. The little store closed at 7:00 p.m. and I arrived after so I don't know what was inside. Couldn't have been much as it was small. Also ate a ton of berries along the way so I stayed full pretty much the entire time. Heh.

I can't recall how long the season is for the waysides to be open. I think they close ate the end of September?

Nevermind about September. Found a link that you might find helpful: http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisi...g-schedule.htm

don't know about the other waysides but Big Meadows wayside/campstore seemed to have improved their selection of backpacking food - there was a section of Mountain House on display a couple weeks ago - note however the prices will be high and toward the end of the season they let their stock go down without replacing items that have been sold

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Waysides are really pricey, but you can resupply there. The food prices are outrageous though (I paid $6 for a cheeseburger yesterday after my hike) Resupply points are Elkwallow, Big Meadows, Lewis Mtn and Loft Mtn.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

According to the NPS website (http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisi...g-schedule.htm)
    the facilities will still be open in October.

What you might do is carry dinners for a week or so, but replenish the breakfast and lunch foods along the way in the waysides.

++ New Posts ++