Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Flipping between Western Michigan and Key West
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Updating Google Maps with Smart Phone apps

I wanted a map embedded in my blog that I could update with a location-based waypoint on a regular basis, using my droid. With the help of some smart folk on Google+, I figured out how to do that - It wasn't as straightforward as you might think.

I started with a map I created in Google's My Places, and embedded that in my blog. Then found there was no way to put a location-based waypoint on one of these maps using Google Maps for Android. I got a hint to try Google's My Tracks. I had been using that app, but didn't realize it had a function for adding a waypoint, or for uploading it to a My Places map. With minor fiddling, it worked.

The full story, and our map, is on our blog:
    http://laughingdawg.blogspot.com/2011/09/posting-waypoints-along-way.html

Ldog
    The Laughing Dog Blog

"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Willy,
    This is a wonderful post. I have been looking for a way to do this.
    When are you starting your hike ? I plan to start in 2013 and I hope the technology has matured a little more by that time.
    Thank you for a great way to put way-points on a Goodle map on a smart-phone !

Cheers, Quaker

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks for your comments. We're starting next spring, and I too hope the technology matures. This method does exactly what I wanted to do, it's just a bit of a kludge ...
    Ldog
    The Laughing Dog Blog

"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

aka Kudzu
    Images

Nifty! Thanks for the info! Nicer than my method of tweeting coordinates to my blog.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Start date: March 13, 2012 Stats 2012's Avatar

Default Awesome post! Thanks!

This is great, Bill! I've had similar trouble figuring out how to do just this. You saved me a ton of work! Will you do your thru on 2012 or 2013? I begin mine in 4.5 months. Good luck to ya, and thanks again!
    http://atstats.blogspot.com

"There are many ways to hike the Trail. Your way will be best. -- Carolyn Cunningham

Journal Entries
    Images

Stats, sounds like we're starting about the same time. I plan to be on the approach trail on Mar 19th
    Ldog
    The Laughing Dog Blog

Journal Entries
    Images

While I was hiking, Google updated the My Tracks app making the process a lot more intuitive. As folks still seem to be reading my original blog post on this process, I just updated it with an updated process:

http://www.laughingdog.com/2011/09/posting-waypoints-along-way.html

This process works for Android smartphones. I haven't found Google's My Tracks on iTunes, so I'm assuming those of you packing iPhones are on your own. Please let me know if I'm wrong about that.
    Ldog
    The Laughing Dog Blog

Journal Entries

Backcountry Navigator allows you to use offline maps and set waypoints.

Would like to be able to use Google Earth offline.

i dont understand the reason to doing this? you know what you hiked what am i missing here? Or it is just like a quirky thing people can do?
    Gradual Change You Can Believe in.

Live deliberately.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin S and A View Post
    i dont understand the reason to doing this? you know what you hiked what am i missing here? Or it is just like a quirky thing people can do?
    Its a quirky thing people can do to communicate progress to friends and family.
    Ldog
    The Laughing Dog Blog

++ New Posts ++