WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default FBI Information release on Scott Lilly trailname "Stonewall"

Updated release from LaurieP, posted 9/2/2011 at 15:51.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurieP
    The FBI has requested the Appalachian Trail Conservancy to send out the following revised press release, dated today, about the Scott “Stonewall” Lilly investigation.

Federal Bureau of Investigation
    Richmond Division
    1970 East Parham Road
    Richmond, Virginia 23228

UPDATE OF INVESTIGATION INTO SUSPICIOUS DEATH IN THE
    GEORGE WASHINGTON NATIONAL FOREST

On August 12, 2011, hikers reported the discovery of a deceased individual located near a hiking trail in close proximity to the Appalachian Trail, in the Northwest part of Amherst County, Virginia. Investigators from the Amherst County Sheriff’s Office, the Virginia State Police, the United States Forest Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation responded to the scene and the body was transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, Virginia Department of Health.

Subsequent investigation identified the victim as Mr. Scott Lilly of South Bend, Indiana, known by the trail name “Stonewall.” It appears Mr. Lilly was hiking the Appalachian Trail and the circumstances of his death are suspicious.

While this multiagency investigation is ongoing, and the release of information may be limited, it is important for the public to be aware that no information has been developed by these agencies that would lead investigators to believe other hikers would be targeted. However, hikers are encouraged to continue exercising the usual precautions while on any trail.

Information provided by the public thus far has been extremely beneficial in advancing this investigation. Investigators are now seeking to locate and identify several additional hikers, who while using the following trail names, may have had contact with Mr. Lilly. These individuals are:

“Mr. Coffee”
    “White Wolf”
    “Papa Smurf”
    “Combat Gizmo” and “Space Cadet” (possibly a husband/wife team)

Anyone with information regarding these individuals is once again urged to call the FBI at 1-800-225-5324, option #4 (1-800-CALL FBI, #4).

###

Laurie Potteiger
    Information Services Manager
    Appalachian Trail Conservancy
    799 Washington Street | P.O. Box 807
    Harpers Ferry, WV 25425-0807
    Phone: 304.535.2200 x128
    [email protected]
    www.appalachiantrail.org
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Default FBI Information release on Scott Lilly trailname "Stonewall"

Please read over this information release. The updated release asks that anyone with any possible information should call the FBI at the number listed. If you previously called Crime Stoppers and did not get through please try again at the FBI number.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Images

McAfee Antivirus says that this is a dangerous download. What's up?
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

McAfee didnt warn me about it and I opened it fine.

Norton handled it too. No new information.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Images

AVG had no problems with it either. Open office opened it just fine as well.
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Hillwalker View Post
    McAfee Antivirus says that this is a dangerous download. What's up?
    I just ran McAfee on the folder on my system that it is in, there were no issues. Maybe you are getting a generic caution as it is a Word file. I was going to convert it to a pdf as well, I'll add that to the top.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

IDENTIFICATION OF BODY LOCATED IN GEORGE WASHINGTON NATIONAL FOREST

On August 12, 2011, hikers reported the discovery of a deceased individual located near a hiking trail in close proximity to the Appalachian Trail, in the Northwest part of Amherst County, Virginia. Investigators from the Amherst County Sheriff’s Office, the Virginia State Police, the United States Forest Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation responded to the scene and the body was transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, Virginia Department of Health.

Subsequent investigation identified the victim as Mr. Scott Lilly of South Bend, Indiana, known by the trail name “Stonewall.” It appears Mr. Lilly was hiking the Appalachian Trail and the circumstances of his death are suspicious.

While this multi-agency investigation is ongoing, and the release of information may be limited, it is important for the public to be aware that no information has been developed by these agencies that would lead the investigators to believe other hikers would be targeted. However, hikers are encouraged to continue exercising the usual precautions while on any trail.

Mr. Lilly’s name and photo are being provided with the request that anyone who may have seen or had contact with him recently, call the FBI (1-800 CALL FBI option #4 -1-800-225-5324 option #4) and relay any information that may be pertinent to this investigation.

Anyone with information identifying the following hikers or trail angels is urged to call the FBI:

Coach, Big Foot, Mr. Coffee aka Puddles, Scribbles, SwannieR, Combat Gizmo and Space Cadet. These individuals possibly had contact with Stonewall as he hiked along the Appalachian Trail. They may have information that could assist in the investigation of this case.

Please contact the FBI if you have any other information about suspicious individuals or incidents that are related to the Appalachian Trail and other locations frequented by those hiking the trail.

scott-lilly.jpg

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

What a shame. Gave me chills as last nights episode of Criminal Minds dealt with the subject of a serial killer living on the AT. Hope they find this person.
    Seek, and you shall find.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I called them to tell them that Scribbles (an intelligent young woman) has a journal on TrailJournals.com. I also told them that I was amazed to see "SwannieR" mentioned. It is a familiar misspelling of my name. If it was assumed from one of my drop boxes that was left for me to pick up when I got to a hostel, that might be how it happened that there was someone out there using my name but not careful enough to spell it correctly. Or it could be legit. The big point I tried to make is how much we need to know about the "suspicious circumstances" of Stonewall's death. They tell us to use our usual precautions on the trail. Yeah, great. We usually share any information that will help any of us be safe. The agent who took my modicum of information and heard my plea was named Tyler.--Kinnickinic (Sawnie Robertson)
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Default Picture of (Papa Smurf) AKA (Tear Drop)

This is a picture of one of the persons of interest by the FBI if you type in the search bar on White Blaze ...........PAPA SMURF..... A LIST OF BLOGS WILL COME UP PICK THE ONE THAT SAYS ****SUSPECT HIKER**** IT HAS IMAGES OF HIM ON THERE. Hope this was usefulll!!!!!

I had multiple run-ins with Papa Smurf in the Smokies this year. Very creepy guy but I decided he was harmless. Perhaps not. I don't really feel this warrants calling the above number since it was so much earlier this hiking season..

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    I had multiple run-ins with Papa Smurf in the Smokies this year. Very creepy guy but I decided he was harmless. Perhaps not. I don't really feel this warrants calling the above number since it was so much earlier this hiking season..
    I disagree, Wulf. The agents obviously need help. Let them decide if your info is worthy of their attention. It at least speaks to having him removed from the trail, which would also obviously make a lot of people be able to enjoy their hikes more. I one time remarked to the rangers at a state park near Denver about a man with a beer in his hand being over friendly and harassing us as we sunbathed by the beach. He told us that he was just released from the penitentiary with a few aggressive remarks inserted within. We left soon after. As we were leaving, we saw him being hauled off by the rangers. I went into their headquarters to ask what had happened and was told that he had broken parole. This man knew no boundaries and was threatening. Sounds like that might have been a fit description of Mr. Smurf. I could not help but feel sadness for him at the same time that I was not sorry to have reported his actions. He was obviously a lonely, lost soul who did not know how to integrate into society.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Journal Entries

There is a whole thread on this site basically dedicated to "Papa Smurf" AKA "Teardrop" and his exploits.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...eware+of+hiker

some people say where they last saw him as he moves along the trail.

Hopefully it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    I disagree, Wulf. The agents obviously need help. Let them decide if your info is worthy of their attention. It at least speaks to having him removed from the trail, which would also obviously make a lot of people be able to enjoy their hikes more. I one time remarked to the rangers at a state park near Denver about a man with a beer in his hand being over friendly and harassing us as we sunbathed by the beach. He told us that he was just released from the penitentiary with a few aggressive remarks inserted within. We left soon after. As we were leaving, we saw him being hauled off by the rangers. I went into their headquarters to ask what had happened and was told that he had broken parole. This man knew no boundaries and was threatening. Sounds like that might have been a fit description of Mr. Smurf. I could not help but feel sadness for him at the same time that I was not sorry to have reported his actions. He was obviously a lonely, lost soul who did not know how to integrate into society.--Kinnickinic
    You're right - I'll call.

Also - I think you gave me a ride into town on my hike this year - My trail name is Frizzle. You perhaps gave myself, a Lt. Dan, Spike, and Bodysnatcher (Polish girl) a ride into town close to Partnership shelter? I could be wrong.

Has there been any news in this case?

None that I have heard yet.
    You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim, the mountian's got its own ways.
    -"BearClaw" Chris Lapp-

Journal Entries

Wuff, I remember you well--each of you. Thanks for remembering me. :- )--Kinnickinic
    --Salaun

Journal Entries
    Images

http://rockbridgereport.washingtonandlee.net/?p=940

FBI stymied by Appalachian Trail killing

By simmonsb12 · October 6, 2011

By Courtney Ridenhour

On Aug. 12, hikers discovered the body of a thru-hiker on the Appalachian Trail in Hog Camp Gap, about 10 miles east of Buena Vista in Amherst County.

Scott Lilly, of South Bend, Ind., had been murdered.

The FBI initially focused on five individuals, identified publicly by their trail names. In September, rumors began flying on an Appalachian Trail website, saying that one of the hikers was a suspect.

On Tuesday, the FBI denied that. After two months of investigation, authorities have no suspects.

FBI spokesperson Dee Rybiski said the agency contacted five hikers who may have had contact with Lilly to build a timeline and “help with filling the gaps” on Lilly’s hike. The hikers, however, are not considered suspects.

“There were never any suspects,” added Brian King of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.

Since 1974, nine hikers have been killed in six separate incidents on the trail. Lilly’s death is the first trail-related murder since 2008.

In a Sept. 2 press release, investigators announced the trail names of the five hikers who were believed to have met Lilly on the trail.

Adopting a trail alias is a standard practice among thru-hikers – those who hike all 2,180 miles of the Appalachian Trail between Maine and Georgia.

Since the press release, hikers wrote on online forums that “Papa Smurf” – one of the five listed – was a “person of interest” based on reports of thievery. But Rybiski said investigators contacted “Papa Smurf” and the other four hikers to construct a Lilly timeline – a standard practice in investigations of this kind.

“There were three to four different ‘Papa Smurfs’ out there,” she said. “It was simply people that we kind of wanted to touch base with.”

She said the FBI is releasing these few details to help investigators distinguish valuable tips from misinformation. The FBI cannot discuss suspects, she said.

The FBI has said that the Hog Camp Gap area is safe and hikers are not at risk.

But investigators’ response to other recent suspicious activity has been rapid.

In late August, a second body was found near the trail in George Washington National Park. Although it was later determined to be a natural death, a team of 30 investigators and volunteer hikers descended on the area.
    Last edited by rickb; 10-10-2011 at 19:17.

Gee...what a surprise.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++