WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Terry7 View Post
    The reason most people bring dogs is because they are scared of bears. Now your saying thats not me but down deep you know its true. I worried about bears my first long A.T. hike 5 years ago. I have hiked aleast 5000 miles over the last 5 years on the A.T. and I am starting a hike from Harpers Ferry to Damascus next week. If you see a bear be thankful that you were lucky enough to see one. I love dogs but you will be better off leaving them at home.
    I think the reason people bring dogs has nothing to do with a fear of bears, rather they just enjoy their best friends companionship.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I think the reason people bring dogs has nothing to do with a fear of bears, rather they just enjoy their best friends companionship.
    if i was afraid of BEARS
    i would of hiked with one of you on this thread, instead of my dog
    If a bear came after us, i couldn't out run my dog, but i bet i could out run at least one of you :-)
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 09-01-2011 at 18:11.

Images

thats why i always hike with someone slower than me.

Images

Ok I hike with my dog because he is like my son, where I go, HE goes. He doesnt have problems on the trail HE IS AN ANIMAL. The bottom line is I now understand that a tent is neccacary for a thru hike but at the same time I understand that dogs are ALSO ok to have and that I bring him because he gives me and others a great deal of enjoyement.

I will be starting the AT in GA and ending in Maine. WITH WARDY!
    sgdfdsf.jpg
    This brings me to my next thread I will start. That topic will be called something along the lines of "Why are hikers so pestimistic?!"
    As much as I have learned that I need a tent I have learned to blow off the pestimists because as you can see....PESTimists is more like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    Ok I hike with my dog because he is like my son, where I go, HE goes. He doesnt have problems on the trail HE IS AN ANIMAL. The bottom line is I now understand that a tent is neccacary for a thru hike but at the same time I understand that dogs are ALSO ok to have and that I bring him because he gives me and others a great deal of enjoyement.

I will be starting the AT in GA and ending in Maine. WITH WARDY!
    sgdfdsf.jpg
    This brings me to my next thread I will start. That topic will be called something along the lines of "Why are hikers so pestimistic?!"
    As much as I have learned that I need a tent I have learned to blow off the pestimists because as you can see....PESTimists is more like it.
    I also plan to bring my dog but there are sections where dogs are not allowed. What do you plan to do about that?

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    yet they leave their "best friends" outside the bar/restaurant on hot pavement for hours at a time while the master is inside eatin' and drinkin' in air conditioning. friggin' sickening. i see it just about daily when the northbound herd comes through damascus.

Quote Originally Posted by 4thandgoal View Post
    I also plan to bring my dog but there are sections where dogs are not allowed. What do you plan to do about that?
    you guys live in TN. & VA. shouldn't be much of a problem getting someone to watch fido, while your in the smokeys, the zoo in bear mtn. is like a 2 minute walk thru(hell have a friend watch the dog and tell him you'll be back in ten minutes :-)
    or start the thruhike and have the dog start his/her hike at davenport gap just north of the SMOKIES

usually got my food to go and ate with the dog outside :-)
    if i got beer it was usually a 12pak in my collaspable 3 gallon waterbag, iced down and hike til the tent site beckoned

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    usually got my food to go and ate with the dog outside :-)
    if i got beer it was usually a 12pak in my collaspable 3 gallon waterbag, iced down and hike til the tent site beckoned
    you're the rare exception

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    you're the rare exception
    3 years in the 8th grade proves it!

Images

I have no problem with dogs on the trail, as long as their owner keeps them on a leash and makes sure they are well-mannered at shelters.

I heard that one thru-hiker's dog killed a some chickens near Damascus last Summer, and the owner decided to high-tail it out of town rather than pay for the damages. Not cool.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Dog may not want to be on the trail. Bring a tent.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Ah! I hadn't realized that this thread is what prompted your pessamistic hiker's thread. By asking the question in this opening post you stumbled onto one of the most contentious issues that gets brought up on this forum, I can promise you that most of us are much nicer in real life than our posts on a thread about dogs on the trail would make us out to be. I almost always have a dog with me on the trail. If you haven't done so yet, make sure to take your dog for at least a week long backpacking trip to see how it works out before heading out on a long distance/thru hike. Just remember if you have a dog with you you're no long hiking your own hike, you are hiking your dog's hike. Bring a tent, pay close attention to your dog's needs and body language (they can't tell you when they are sore or their pads are worn raw) and you will avoid most of the all to common problems people see with dogs in the trail. Finally, regardless of what people here will say, of the folks I meet on my section hikes, 90% are delighted to spend time with a happy well behaved dog.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

If you had already done a lot of hiking you wouldn't have asked the question. You would have already known to leave the dog at home and bring a light weight tent/tarp or hammock and avoid shelters like the plague.

Baron
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    If you had already done a lot of hiking you wouldn't have asked the question. You would have already known to leave the dog at home and bring a light weight tent/tarp or hammock and avoid shelters like the plague.
    I think it's just as likely that he hasn't done a lot of long distance hiking with his dog. Shoot, my dog is a little 30lbs beagle/pug mix and I wouldn't think(and I haven't) of imposing the dog on shelter dwellers.

The OP should understand that if he intends to bring his dog on a Thru, which IMO is perfectly okay, then he should take care of his dog and be mindful of others(e.g. bring a tent or tarp, don't sleep in shelters, don't put yourself in a position where you'd ignore your animal for hours.)
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

I agree with most other responses that a wet dog in a shelter is the most miserable thing to deal with. I would never begrudge a dog owner a place in a shelter on a rainy night (if there were a space open, which isn't often when it's raining), but I would be very unhappy about it. I don't want a wet, muddy dog mucking up my $300 down bag! But also I've seen *so many* exhausted dogs on the trail who weren't properly cared for. Each owner had the best intentions for their dogs, but the dogs just could not keep up. It was heartbreaking to see an owner ask 100% from their dog, mile after mile, and watch the dog give 110% instead. Have a heart and leave the dog at home. Have some consideration for other hikers and their gear, and bring a tent if you insist on the dog coming. Please don't bring a wet dog into a shelter.

Images

Sarcasm the elf- You have truely said what I needed to hear in order to save the bad impression I have gotten from this forum. I have to understand that as ussual a couple bad apples can spoil the basket for everyone( not only poor pet ownership, but dirtbag jerks too!)....or something like that! haha.

Second:SassyWindsor - I dont know how to say it other than bluntly: YOUR WRONG. I have done "my share" of long distance trips and am a physically fit young lad. Further more....you obviously are wrong about leaving the dog at home. Im not going to assume anything about YOU, but I would say that if you are so eager to leave loved ones at home than you are probably just not very comfortable outside:/

Lone Wolf: Great point! I would hate to think my dog was out in the heat while I was inside enjoying a nice juicy burger! I think I will either try and attend pet friendly places, or just get my orders to go.

As for who asked about non dog friendly parks; The only one I know of is GSMNP apx 72 mile lone stretch. Your options are slim: pay for a shuttle -apx 300-500(correct me) have somebody(friend or family) drive to the entrance of the park, pick up dog, and then when you reach the oppisite end of the park they will return the dog to you and you go on your way. In no shape for rhyme or reason should you try and "wing" your dog thru the smokies. YOU WILL PAY FOR IT! Without a doubt you WILL be caught, fined 500 dollars and walked out of the woods(not fun). Last not fun option is bypassing the smokies and keep on going.

Last note: I am starting a new thread on "options for the smokies" in the general.
    Sorry for errors didnt have time to proof

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++