WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

To the baptist church group from Alabama that visited the Black Creek Wilderness area this past Saturday, i think that it's great that you are bringing those young kids out to teach them about camping/bushcrafting but also teach them about trail etiquette. You don't set your tents and camp fires up right next to the trail. Find a place away from the trail. Whenever i'm walking down the trail i want to enjoy the trail. I don't want to walk through the middle of a camp with 10-15 people in it that are all standing on the trail. There's better places you could have picked.

Default Black Creek Trail near Hattiesburg, MS

Spoke with Desoto ranger last week. Black Creek Trail has been bushhogged all the way thru except for natural scenic area which has been cleared with swingblades. Hope to check it out next weekend! Tuxachanie still has a 3 m section closed for bridge repair and no info on when it will be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxhiker View Post
    Spoke with Desoto ranger last week. Black Creek Trail has been bushhogged all the way thru except for natural scenic area which has been cleared with swingblades. Hope to check it out next weekend! Tuxachanie still has a 3 m section closed for bridge repair and no info on when it will be ready.
    Thanks for the update Tuxhiker.

I was in the melvin breland rd area last weekend and could tell that workers had been out there. The grass was cut on that pipeline section. They must have used swingblades to do that. Thanks for the update.

Finally made it out there to see for myself! Hiked in Red Hills section. The trail was in good shape. No poison ivy or ticks! Very dry conditions.

was out last weekend in red hills section. trail in decent shape. poison ivy coming up. some ticks. I used Deet but that didn't discourage them. nice weather!

Tuxhiker, Glad to see you were able to get out. I haven't been on the BCT since early fall. Hot and muggy now mixed with lightning and floods. Well, it is south Mississippi. Come on October!
    Oh, blackwater, keep on rollin', Mississippi moon, won't you keep on shining on me!

I got out on the Black Creek Trail last Sunday afternoon for a couple hours. Started on the forest service road in the Red Hills Section and walked down past the big sandbar across the pipeline to where the trail parallels the creek and turned around where it crosses the pipeline again. Saw no human tracks (footprints or 4 wheeler) after the first 1/2 mile or so. Trail is in great shape right now.
    Oh, blackwater, keep on rollin', Mississippi moon, won't you keep on shining on me!

Also...here is a 3 part video Me and a buddy did on a thruhike of the Black Creek Trail a while back.
    https://youtu.be/VccD-Gz8uE4
    https://youtu.be/8-MxA3kGA1s
    https://youtu.be/DSfxR0mzSCk

Enjoyed your videos Blackwater Slim! Have spent some time in the Red Hills section recently. i enjoy the climbing. Mosquitoes are bad. Bring plenty of Deet. Happy Trails!

Anyone been to Black Creek lately? Looking forward to cooler weather so I can enjoy the Red Hills.

Anyone been to Black Creek lately? Looking forward to cooler weather so I can enjoy the Red Hills.
    Not lately. It's probably been March since I've been out there. I been hiking off and on in Alabama and last week I went and did a section on the AT. In a few weeks I have another section on the AT planned. After that I'm sure all of my hiking will be done on the Black Creek till next spring. You been out there any?

Not yet. Trying to let the poison ivy die back some. I'm looking forward to the BCT Red Hills section. Meanwhile, I've been enjoying the Tuxachanie Trail. Would prefer to be hiking anywhere in the mountains, but have stayed close to home because of Covid. I'm happy to have access to two good local trails. In a few weeks I will check out the BCT and will post the trail conditions. Enjoy the AT!

Not yet. Trying to let the poison ivy die back some. I'm looking forward to the BCT Red Hills section. Meanwhile, I've been enjoying the Tuxachanie Trail. Would prefer to be hiking anywhere in the mountains, but have stayed close to home because of Covid. I'm happy to have access to two good local trails. In a few weeks I will check out the BCT and will post the trail conditions. Enjoy the AT!
    Thanks. I will. Yes I am also glad that we have two trails fairly close to our area. I really enjoy the BCT and have spent alot of time out there teaching myself about hammock camping, testing out new gear and enjoying the solitude. I'm guessing they probably have cut the trail by now or are about to. It seems like it is usually around this time that they cut it. The Tuxachanie is special to me also because that was the first real trail that I went to. Have they done anything new to it within the last couple of years? I need to get over there and hike on it for old time sake. Enjoy your hike on the red hills section. Look forward to seeing your post about trail conditions.

I don't look for them to bushhog anytime soon with budget cuts, but maybe a volunteer will take on the challenge. Boy Scouts have repaired a couple of boardwalks on the Tux Trail; however, there are a couple of bridges out. I don't think the forestry service will allow volunteer groups to build bridges because of the engineering requirements. The bridges were removed because they didn't pass inspection. The last i heard, the forestry dept. had only a skeleton budget. Sad. The trails seem very popular. I hope the BCT trail is in good shape.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++