WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Hit the trail for a short morning jaunt. Left Fairley Bridge Rd at 6:30 am with the temp at 34 degrees as daylight came. Saw the sun rise on the trail. Went out about 4 or 5 miles by 8:30, turned and walked back and was at my truck by 10. Stopped walking only briefly a few times. Had a snack on the big sand bar on Black Creek. The trail was in the best shape I've seen it in the 4 or 5 years I've been going here. Truly a beautiful day walking in the Steep Red Hill section. A+++ trek all around!!!

Does anybody know if there is a parking spot east of hwy. 49? I've sectioned hiked the whole trail except the area east of hwy. 49 to around south of where moody's landing is at on the map. Am i correct at thinking that moody's landing is on the north side of black creek? That's what it looks like on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabfromla View Post
    Does anybody know if there is a parking spot east of hwy. 49? I've sectioned hiked the whole trail except the area east of hwy. 49 to around south of where moody's landing is at on the map. Am i correct at thinking that moody's landing is on the north side of black creek? That's what it looks like on the map.
    I'm not sure about parking near hwy 49.

Moody's Landing is on the north bank of the creek. You could cross the creek there but it would be chest deep. I'm sure if you go up or down stream just a little you could find a easy crossing spot. There is parking at Moody's Landing also.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    I'm not sure about parking near hwy 49.

Moody's Landing is on the north bank of the creek. You could cross the creek there but it would be chest deep. I'm sure if you go up or down stream just a little you could find a easy crossing spot. There is parking at Moody's Landing also.
    Nah! I don't think that i'll try that. If i can't find a place to park so that i can hike that section i'll have to do an over nighter.

I like to park at the old CCC camp about 1/2 m east of 49. Its right on the trail. If traveling on 49, turn at the sign for Ashe Lake/Nursery. Cross RR tracks. Turn left at dead end. CCC camp will be on your left after short drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxhiker View Post
    I like to park at the old CCC camp about 1/2 m east of 49. Its right on the trail. If traveling on 49, turn at the sign for Ashe Lake/Nursery. Cross RR tracks. Turn left at dead end. CCC camp will be on your left after short drive.
    i saw that on the map but wasn't sure if i could park there. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

The Ccc camp is a very good place to park. If you walk towards 49 you can see the foundations of some of the buildings.

The Ccc camp is a very good place to park. If you walk towards 49 you can see the foundations of some of the buildings.
    i went for a hike yesterday and i parked at the ccc. You were right it was a very nice place to park and this is a very nice park of the trail. I found several places to park farther east that i will have to go back and try out. I didn't see anybody the whole day except for a ranger that was surveying the creeks. He said that they wanted to see how much water was in the creeks. At some of the main creeks they plan on putting up signs with the name of the creek. There is a big creek west of hwy 49 that they want to put a bridge over but it will cost about 90,000 because it will be a permanent structure. I know which creek he was talking about and there's now way to jump over it without getting wet. I was lucky enough to find a log whenever i was on that part of the trail.

Glad the Ccc parking worked out for you. I hope they can find the money to build that bridge. It was waist deep and cold when I did that section.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Glad the Ccc parking worked out for you. I hope they can find the money to build that bridge. It was waist deep and cold when I did that section.

With all of the rain that we have been having, I would imagine that it's deeper than that right now. They also need a permanent bridge over Mill Creek in the wilderness area.

Has anyone been out to the black creek trail recently. I haven't been up there in around four weeks.

Not me, but let us know the current trail conditions if you decide to go.

Tux, i went out to Fairley bridge landing today. As far as trail conditions go, there is no trail. It needs cutting bad. I went ahead and hiked it anyway. Good thing I wore long pants. From the landing to the road the grass was about knee high. After i crossed over the highway it was knee high for about another mile. It wasn't too bad once i reached the area where the hills start. After i reached that area it was off and on. Clear for a little bit and then overgrown. Then clear again. It wasn't ever so bad that i couldn't pass. The worst part was the two miles at the begining. I made a day out of it and went to Melvin Breland rd. and back. There must have been a bad storm go through the area close by melvin breland rd. There were about five trees down across the trail all within the distance of about a mile and they looked like they had fallen recently. They were fairly big trees too. It was a nice hike aside from the tall grass. I should have just went to the wilderness area.

Mab,
    Thanks for the update! Not surprised about the overgrown conditions. Hopefully they'll clear it soon. They usually clear it in the fall. Hope ticks weren't bad. The Tuxachanie Trail is in pretty good shape. Lots of hikers and trail runners using it today.

[QUOTE=Tuxhiker;1999203]Mab,
    Thanks for the update! Not surprised about the overgrown conditions. Hopefully they'll clear it soon. They usually clear it in the fall. Hope ticks weren't bad. The Tuxachanie Trail is in pretty good shape. Lots of hikers and trail runners using it today.

Yeah i figured that it would be overgrown but i wanted to get out there anyway. I looked back at a previous post that i made last year where i talked about them clearing it and it was dated the second week in Oct. so we probably have about another month before it gets cleared. I did find ticks on me but just on my pants. I find that if i wear long pants and check my legs after i walk through any areas that are overgrown that pretty much takes care of the ticks. I didn't find any on me after i got home. I go to the Tuxachanie trail every now and then when i want to do something quick for the day. I like the bct because there are less people but then you have to worry about trail conditions but if you stick to the wilderness area it's not too bad.

Thats been my experience with the ticks too. If i keep them off my legs and dont set my pack down except on sand bars they dont attach. Looking forward to fall weather. Love the section in the Red Hills!

Good news - Crews are clearing trails! Saw evidence on Tux Trail last weekend. Haven't been to Black Creek. Hoping its cleared soon!

Good news - Crews are clearing trails! Saw evidence on Tux Trail last weekend. Haven't been to Black Creek. Hoping its cleared soon!
    Is the Tuxachanie open all the way now. I thought I read a few months ago a part was closed.

Looking to go in two weeks.

Nodust,
    All parts of tux trail I've been on over last few months were ok. A bridge at 3 1/2 m was out last spring but was replaced. Some logging has been going on around 9 m marker. Maybe it was closed for that. Went thru that area Sat. with no problems. You can call Desota Ranger District in Wiggins for more info. 601-528-6160. Trail seems to be in great shape! May run into you out there.

Great to hear that they have started clearing the trails. I'll have to make it out there soon. It's been several weeks since i've been to black creek so i don't know if they have started up there yet. i'll take a ride up there in a week or two.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++