WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Knee Support

Default Knee Support

I've seen some hikers wearing bands of some sort on or just below there knees. What's the purpose?

I have knee issues sometimes going downhills where my knee just feels a little wobbly. It doesn't hurt and doesn't last very long. It's basically sporadic. I haven't been to a doctor to check it out because it doesn't bother me except for long downhills.

For those of you with knee issues, what do you do to make it better?

Thanks,

beaudetious

Images

My knee ended my thru-hike attempt. Went to the doc and found out it was an overuse issue. I picked up a knee brace that has the hole which holds the knee cap in place and found that worked enough to get me through Connecticut. I'm now in the 4-6 week wait mode to let my knee heal. I suppose it's possible that if I were to have stopped as soon as the pain started, I probably wouldn't be waiting as long to heal but it was really, really hard to leave the trail.

I've seen the small bands around knees as well. Look like little watch bands. I have no idea what they are for. Heh.

It's an iliotibial band support strap...can be of great help if you have iliotibial band syndrome...

I now wear a Donjoy knee brace after blowing out the meniscus and to provide added support for the arthritis buildup behind the kneecap. A little heavy and bulky, but works wonders when going downhill with a 40lb pack
    Last edited by BitBucket; 08-29-2011 at 21:48.

Images

I have a long history of knee problems (torn ACL, MCL, and multiple Patellar Subluxations *dislocated kneecap*)

I am currently looking into multiple different lightweight/breathable knee braces for my thru-hike. Currently trying out the Cho Pat one for patellar support. The best help for downhill stretches are a good set of trekking poles. Extend them a bit longer and place them before you step down. It really saves A LOT of shock on my knees.
    "I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." ~Robert Louis Stevenson
    AT thru-hike in planning - Class of 2012

Images

I have bad knees as well and this is what I use;

Cho-Pat rocks and is very durable.

https://secure.cho-pat.com/products/...roduct_type=10
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Images

Tweaked my knee earlier this year. Was riding in a golf cart this spring with my leg hanging out and a tree jumped out and hit my foot twisting my knee. [note to self: Keep arms and legs inside ride at all times] I find the level II brace works well to help stabilizie the knee. Otherwise it tends to hurt by the end of the day. http://www.mcdavidusa.com/store/inde...PARTMENT_ID=54

And have an orthopaedist look at your knee.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyLeggs View Post
    I have bad knees as well and this is what I use;

Cho-Pat rocks and is very durable.

https://secure.cho-pat.com/products/...roduct_type=10
    I use these too. Helps a lot.

Images

Or you could have a knee injury that a brace wont help. I had severe tendonitis in my right knee and a brace didn't help that at all!

Images

The last time out I used these straps ( http://www.rei.com/product/704434/pr...r-tendon-strap ), poles, and some vitamin I as needed. The straps help my knees a lot, but I believe the POLES made the biggest difference.

1) Go see a doctor about your knee. He/she can explain how your need works and should be able to guide you through a solution. If needed, see a couple of doctors (I did) as they often don't give the same diagnosis.
    2) There are all different types of bands/braces for different things. Some are just gimmicks an others won't help problem A if you have problem B
    3) If it hurts, especially from overuse, the band/brace may help only a little if any. You will need to get off the knee (or at least the trail) till it gets better.
    4) Most doctors I have talked to prefer a PT approach to strengthen the muscles around the joint rather than cover it up with band/braces.
    5) If you have a "tear" however, you may need to get surgery to make it better and a brace (not band) may help till you get it done. See #1 and get an MRI done.
    6) I have found that different shoes/insoles can change my walk enough to cause knee pain.
    7) I'm not a doctor so steps 1-6 are only my opinion.

Journal Entries
    Images

For my downhill knee problem took the following steps. First, lost some weight, 17 percent. Then listened and got the poles for downhills. Still smarts some of the time, but not for as long a period. Also when necessary I take Vitamin I.

This winter I'm intending to do something else which I avoid. Going to see a Sports Medicine Doctor and do what the heck I'm told.

++ New Posts ++