WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default MSR HUBBA or Marmot EOS 1?

Has anyone tried or seen these tents? Was thinking of getting one.

Draggin Dragon
    Journal Entries

Default Hubba

I have the hubba will be using it on my thru this year. Lots of head room long enought to fit pack into it narrow enough to keep your pad from sliding around, nice tent. Draggin

Images

I've never seen the other tent you speak of, but I own a Hubba and find it to be a great tent for just me.
    "If trees could talk, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? Maybe....if they screamed all the time, and for no good reason" - Jack Handey

Images

You might also want to check out the new REI "Gimme Shelter", it is Light!

According to the specs, the EOS is a tad larger and weighs a few ounces less. I ordered one...will be here Monday. I'll try it out next weekend on the Trail near Roan Mtn TN.

2/22/2005: "Brown" delivered the EOS yesterday. Specified weights are accurate.....3 lbs 5 oz straight from the box, 2 lbs 14 oz (body, fly and poles). This is my first experience with the "hub-design" pole system. First setup took just over 1 minute.....easy enough. My first impression of the tents stated dimensions screamed "liar-liar".....height is stated as being 36" which was close enough. But, the floor dimensions of 82" X 40" are slightly skewed from a practical standpoint. The slope of the sidewalls makes the usable floor space more like 78" X 36" at best. I'm a fraction over 5'10" and there's very little room to spare in length....anyone over 6' tall will likely be touching the walls. Construction, materials, zipper and pole clips are all OK. The vestibule looks like it will be big enough to cover my pack & boots. It's fairly obvious the EOS was developed to be a direct competitor to the Hubba, as they are so similar in design.Test-drive will be this weekend at Carver's Gap near Roan Mtn....we'll see.
    Last edited by SloHiker; 02-22-2005 at 11:12.

Default tent questions

Quote Originally Posted by SloHiker
    According to the specs, the EOS is a tad larger and weighs a few ounces less. I ordered one...will be here Monday. I'll try it out next weekend on the Trail near Roan Mtn TN.

2/22/2005: "Brown" delivered the EOS yesterday. Specified weights are accurate.....3 lbs 5 oz straight from the box, 2 lbs 14 oz (body, fly and poles). This is my first experience with the "hub-design" pole system. First setup took just over 1 minute.....easy enough. My first impression of the tents stated dimensions screamed "liar-liar".....height is stated as being 36" which was close enough. But, the floor dimensions of 82" X 40" are slightly skewed from a practical standpoint. The slope of the sidewalls makes the usable floor space more like 78" X 36" at best. I'm a fraction over 5'10" and there's very little room to spare in length....anyone over 6' tall will likely be touching the walls. Construction, materials, zipper and pole clips are all OK. The vestibule looks like it will be big enough to cover my pack & boots. It's fairly obvious the EOS was developed to be a direct competitor to the Hubba, as they are so similar in design.Test-drive will be this weekend at Carver's Gap near Roan Mtn....we'll see.
    I'm looking for a good as-lite-as-I-can-get-it 1-person tent. What is the EOS tent you are talking about. I'm drawing a blank on EOS. Also, how did the test go?

Tracker

Images

The Marmot EOS is new this spring. They totally redid their tent line, not just a few tweaks here and there, totally new tents. The EOS is similar to the MSR Hubba, but lacks spreader bar at the top and thus has VERY little head room when you sit up.
    Another really cool new Marmot tent, although probably not for backpacking, is the Halo. It comes in both a 4 and 6 person version. One pole completely encircles the top of the tent, like a halo, and gives it walls that are pretty much vertical. Solid family tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker
    I'm looking for a good as-lite-as-I-can-get-it 1-person tent. What is the EOS tent you are talking about. I'm drawing a blank on EOS. Also, how did the test go?

Tracker
    Tracker....I ended up returning the EOS1. The quality and features were fine, but the dimensions were just a little exaggerated, and a 3 lb/1-Person tent ain't nothing to write home about. As noted by a previous poster, headroom was very limited. If I was going to stay with with a 1-Person tent in this weight range, I'd probably go with the MSR Hubba, which is what the EOS was meant to compete with head-to-head. I'm currently using a Black Diamond Firstlight, which is a single-wall design @ 2 lbs 11 oz.

Oink - KPIG.com Rocks!

I'm currently using a Black Diamond Firstlight, which is a single-wall design @ 2 lbs 11 oz.

SoloHiker . . . I was looking at the Black Diamond Firstligh but was conserned about the fabric description "highly water resistant". How has it withstood a truly heavy downpour? I mean cats, dogs and frogs from the sky ;-) thanks

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SloHiker
    Tracker....I ended up returning the EOS1. The quality and features were fine, but the dimensions were just a little exaggerated, and a 3 lb/1-Person tent ain't nothing to write home about. As noted by a previous poster, headroom was very limited. If I was going to stay with with a 1-Person tent in this weight range, I'd probably go with the MSR Hubba, which is what the EOS was meant to compete with head-to-head. I'm currently using a Black Diamond Firstlight, which is a single-wall design @ 2 lbs 11 oz.
    Based on the dims I have seen the Marmot EOS is larger than the MSR Hubba esp width wise and weighs approx the same. I guess it boils down to what you like. To bad I can't find a place that has them both setup.

Anyone have the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL one person tent. How does it compare to the other two mentioned above.

Default Hubba

I ended up getting the Hubba. It is long but not very wide. The fly only option is neat but have'nt tried it in the rain. I will be using it on the Long trail this September. I am going to play with it out in the yard to see how well the fly set up works in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye
    I ended up getting the Hubba. It is long but not very wide. The fly only option is neat but have'nt tried it in the rain. I will be using it on the Long trail this September. I am going to play with it out in the yard to see how well the fly set up works in rain.

You won't be disappointed with your purchase. I've used my hubba on several trips and have no problems with it. Vestibule is large enough that you can put quite a bit of gear out of the weather and there is ample space at both ends ( inside the tent ) for small stuff. Assuming that you are not 6'6". Set up is a snap.

Fly provides great protection in wet/windy weather. My only nitpick is that the pole, when broken down, was a tad hard to insert in it's stuff sack but a large rubber band fixed that problem.
    "In the abundance of water the fool is thirsty."...Bob Marley

I just recently purchased a Hubba myself and really enjoy it. I know it doesn't amount to much but to lose a LITTLE bit of weight I ditched the stuff sack for the stakes and pole, as well as cut off the big tag with the directions on the inside of the big sack.

Default Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 UL

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker
    Anyone have the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL one person tent. How does it compare to the other two mentioned above.
    I've had the Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 UL since October. The packed weight is 3 lbs 1 oz (with stuff sacks).

Pros:

* Lighter than the Hubba
    * Roomy for a one-person tent
    * Fast set-up
    * Breaths well

Cons:

* It's psuedo free-standing, it still requires two stakes for the tent, and another two for the rain-fly.

* I already have a small tear in the mesh (very fragile).

I've been happy with it, but I'd probably go with a Hubba if I had it to do over again.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye
    Has anyone tried or seen these tents? Was thinking of getting one.
    I was tossing between the same two tents for awhile and leaning towards the Hubba. BUT...I ended up buying the SD Mach 1, which I just received yesterday. In a quick set up in my living room, it's plenty long with enough room inside for gear, I also like the double track vestibule for creating an "awning". Peak height is only 31" and I can barely sit up in it (I'm 5'6"). At 3lbs 4 oz, it's not overly light but it works for me.

I'll be taking it out this weekend on a section of the AT in VT and will post a review when I return if y'all are interested.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matter compared to what lies within us.":jump

I'm trying to decide between three of the tents mentioned in this thread, Hubba, EOS and SL1. I've been leaning towards the SL1 mainly because I don't like the orange color of the other two and the Hubba is very narrow. Other than that there does not seem to be much difference between them.

I thought the SL1 was a free standing tent. I know stakes would be required for the vestibule and to get proper seperation of the fly from the tent body, but are stakes required for the tent body to stay upright?

Postage, could you explain why you would go with the Hubba over the SL1?
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Spirit in search of experience. wacocelt's Avatar
    Images

I haven't seen, muchless used the other tents mentioned, but my MSR Hubba is my absolute favorite peice of gear. I have set it up in the rain (you can set up the fly first, then the body) and had a nice dry interior to relax in. I'm 6' tall and have enough room to have ALL of my gear inside. My shoulders do touch both walls when I lay on my back, however I'm a side sleeper, so that really isn't much of an issue for me. Did I mention that I love my tent?
    Everything is exactly as it should be. This too shall pass.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49
    I'm trying to decide between three of the tents mentioned in this thread, Hubba, EOS and SL1. I've been leaning towards the SL1 mainly because I don't like the orange color of the other two and the Hubba is very narrow. Other than that there does not seem to be much difference between them.

I thought the SL1 was a free standing tent. I know stakes would be required for the vestibule and to get proper seperation of the fly from the tent body, but are stakes required for the tent body to stay upright?

Postage, could you explain why you would go with the Hubba over the SL1?
    Another 10 oz's you could get the Sierra Designs Lightning. 2 person and 38" of headroom. 2 people could sit up inside with plenty of headroom. This is the tent I chose after weighing in weight and space.

Mine was 4 lbs 1oz out of the box.
    Last edited by Heater; 06-30-2005 at 20:19. Reason: spelling

I like this tent. It -is- a small tent but it is a good compromise between volume, floor area, weight, flexibilty, and bugs.

I bought the Hubba to use on platforms. The free standing aspect helped here.

I would not call it "truly" free standing since you really need to have two guys (using stakes, rocks, trees). You might get away with guying-out the entrance only but the tent will tend to tip over. The tent does stand up with no guys but then there's no vestibule and, maybe, not enough ventilation. The Eureka Backcountry-1 is "much more" freestanding (you can easily get away with not staking-out the Backcountry). There is more flexibility in set-up over a non-free standing tent.

The tent would be even nicer if it were just a bit wider at the floor. The mesh top keeps the tent from seeming too claustrophic. One is not going to be able to keep much gear inside the tent but the vesibule is quite large.

It was dry in fairly-hard down pours. It might be more reliable if the nylon floor sides were continued up a bit higher at the narrow ends of the tent to increase the overlap of the fly. I suspect that the Hubba might be more weather proof than the Backcountry-1 (a good tent also). It looks like the floor has a heavy coating so it should be durable (one way to get a lighter tent is to use a lighter coating). The fly is silnylon (one reason the tent is light).

My only "real" complaint is that it's a bit of a far reach to get to the vestibule zipper from inside the tent. I wonder if it would be better to have the zipper at the middle of the vestibule side wall rather than along the guy-out point. (I'm not that keen on the bright red floor.)

Mesh tends to "snag" more than full fabric. This might be prove to be a problem in this tent because the volume is so small (i.e., there's an increased likelyhood that you'll brush against the tent walls).

I suspect that a characteristic of mesh-body tents is that condensation on the fly falls through the mesh when the tent is jostled. I only experienced this with high-humidity and very-cool air. (I don't think the tent has a condensation "problem" and I suspect that every small tent has condensation issues at times).

My real weight was 3.5lb (this included everything in the package). The Eureka Backcountry-1 is a bit heavier (4+lb).

Another nice tent, the Big Agnes Seed House SL-1, is a bit lighter but the silnylon floor might not hold-up as well as the Hubba. The floor area of the Seedhouse is larger but the tent volume is smaller (and, maybe, more claustrophobic). The Seedhouse is even less free standing (you really need to stake-out the non-door end). The Backcountry-1 has "good" volume on a reasonable floor area (more floor area than the Hubba but no vestibule). The Big Agnes Seedhouse SL-2 would be a really-nice one person tent that would be an OK (good) two person tent (but not as good a two person tent as the 2005 Hubba Hubba).

The two person Hubba-Hubba is really nice but you pay for that in weight (note that it's a bit on the small side for a two person tent). The 2004 would be a great one person tent if you can deal with the extra weight. The 2005 version with two doors would be a better two person tent (since there would be no crawling over the other person). (I really like the Hubba Hubba as a "luxurious" single that can work as a two-person.)

I would consider the Hubba as reasonable for solo "light weight" backpacking (especially in buggy conditions). The Hubba-Hubba (at ~4.5 lb for the 2005 version) would be excellent for two friendly backpackers.

The flexibility of the fly-only set up is nice (and interesting) but a tarp set-up should be lighter.

Images

[QUOTE=
    Anyone have the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL one person tent. How does it compare to the other two mentioned above.[/QUOTE]I have the BA Seedhouse SL. I spent a few days this past week on the Shenendoah River doing a kayak/camp trip. My buddy brought his new Hubba so I got to compare first hand.

The Hubba is nice. Narrower inside than my BA Seedhouse and comparable on height. The Hubba is roughly the width of Therma-rest. The double hub pole system on the Hubba is good and keeps the canopy nice and tight. the vestible is good sized when the rain fly is on. The Hubba is completely freestanding, while the BA needs a few stakes to enjoy all the space it has to offer. It will freestand though, only not so wide. The vestibule on the BA Seedhouse is good too. I can still stick my pack and all my gear under there if I don't want anything inside with me.

A photo gallery search for the Big Agnes Seedhouse should bring up my pics. Or check my gallery for photos.

I still like my BA seedhouse a little better. I prefer to pull my gear in with me at night and appreciate the extra room on the sides. The weight is about the same. True the canopy is mostly mesh but I've had no problems with it in the field. While airing it out this week, my puppy took a bite and ripped a little piece of it but nothing that can't be easily fixed.

Both tents did great with heavy condensation as we camped by the river. The double wall system on the BA and Hubba did the trick and neither of us were wet inside.

All in all, both my buddy and I are completely satisfied with these tents.

++ New Posts ++