WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by yotarunner77 View Post
    This is what I use, I use it to keep all my daily essentials and to keep the Judge. It is very comfortable and if for any reason you would have to drop your pack and run it is still with you and has everything you need to survive for a day or two.
    A Glock is a far better handgun for many reasons. I have been shooting for years, and though the Judge is better than nothing, I have found it to be more of a novelty than anything else.

I don't want to get into caliber wars but I went with the Corbon DPX. I use 40SW and these are 145gn solid copper HP. In doing the research I found an occasion of a thru and thru shoulder to shoulder shot with this same bullet on a hog hunt in TX. The hog weighed 125 lbs. The sold copper will not disintegrate but retain mass. After all that, my uncle used to make sausage and kill the hogs( >400lbs) with a 22LR behind the ear. it all comes down to shot placement.

After my conversation with the Chief Ranger, I am going to add some pepper spray as an alternative. Although the pepper spray might simply become the marinade for the cookout.

I do not use Corbon's for everyday carry. The penetration is way too much to be used anywhere else.

Col R

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    There is no way of knowing [how many people hike in GSMNP].
    I was interested primarily in knowing how many hikers use the A.T. annually and how many through hikers in particular. The number of through hikers could be determined by counting the number of permits issued and the other number could be estimated. Transportation managers routinely track the number of vehicles using roadways...
    Last edited by emerald; 08-24-2011 at 10:42.

Images

National parks have access to counter units that involve a small box and a reflector.

Of course, a study needs to be written to study the number of users. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by colonel r View Post
    The hog weighed 125 lbs.
    I thought you were talking about a HOG, not a baby. That's catching size, not big enough to chase you.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I thought you were talking about a HOG, not a baby. That's catching size, not big enough to chase you.

You can hike with me any time and you can do the catching. I can lighten my pack considerably.

I have been shooting hogs for a number of years in Florida. As a general comment, I would suggest that unless you are a very experienced hunter and a darn good shot forget about any pistol, regardless of caliber. Otherwise, chances are very slim that you would do anything except irritate the hog. I have killed several, but I would not carry a pistol. A lot of weight, and a greatly increased chance of misadventure during the trip.

I cannot disagree with anything you said. The option of a long gun in the park is out of the question and would be subject to immediate arrest. I suspect that the distance to the target has got to be danger close for you to have a good legal defense anyway. Avoidance is the best but you do the best you can with what you have.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    I prefer PGC's policy since they aren't wildlife, they're just feral hogs. Up here, our wildlife biologists expend a couple of rounds and resume their responsibilities related to managing wildlife.
    ^^
    I think they should pay bounties on the damn things. And on deer in some places too.

Quote Originally Posted by colonel r View Post
    I cannot disagree with anything you said. The option of a long gun in the park is out of the question and would be subject to immediate arrest. I suspect that the distance to the target has got to be danger close for you to have a good legal defense anyway. Avoidance is the best but you do the best you can with what you have.
    Thanks you for not turning this into a "I"m gonna carry any damn gun I want" thread. Nice to see some logic in the discussion.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Are you oinking at me?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++