WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

I'm hiking that area next week. I'm not scared but am prepared.
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

I only see one link posted here about the second body.

Very sad for the families and friends who lost these folks.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

For a first time hiker on the AT, this is very concerning. The thought of hiking alone has suddenly lost its luster.

Ok, about the second body: According to one commenter on the news site, hunters had alerted authorities that a man living out of an RV hadn't been seen for several days or weeks. They found the man in his RV, and believe his death to be from natural causes. The report was very alarmist and short on details.

Images

yeah that second guy was found in an RV, he'd been living out there it seems. He wasn't a hiker at all.
    can't never did

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Ok, about the second body: According to one commenter on the news site, hunters had alerted authorities that a man living out of an RV hadn't been seen for several days or weeks. They found the man in his RV, and believe his death to be from natural causes. The report was very alarmist and short on details.
    That certainly changes things. Just a sad coincidence it seems.

Still, the hairs on my necks are raised. Too many questions right now regarding the first body. I still haven't read details regarding the location of his gear, whether a pack was on his back, etc.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hiking for vets View Post
    For a first time hiker on the AT, this is very concerning. The thought of hiking alone has suddenly lost its luster.
    I for one think that there are too many on WB that are willing to put their heads in the sand regarding crimes on the trail and pretend that it doesnt happen. Regardless, the reality is that the trail is rather safe and I think it is a bit unreasonable to allow news of incidents such as this create an unreasonable fear of hitting the trail. Its especially silly considering the real risks taken regularly simply going about one's daily schedule.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hiking for vets View Post
    Don't let it scare you off from hiking alone. Just remember to always be prepared and carry a BIG stick.

Sorry for the loved ones of the hikers.
    -Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    I for one think that there are too many on WB that are willing to put their heads in the sand regarding crimes on the trail and pretend that it doesnt happen.
    I'd say most, if not all, are well aware of crime and misfortune along the AT. Many understand the chances of it happening to them are slim and don't let it affect their hike.

Apparently, Stonewall was from near my hometown, and my sister-in-law went to school with him. His folks live near her parents. This all very troubling, and I have goosebumps while typing this.

Prayers and love to the families of these individuals.

Images

I hope there is not a serial killer loose in the area this so sucks it really certifies to families for their kin to not hike alone I can tell you I am questioning wanting to hike it alone right now. Any really sad for the families.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Update: Second body found in camper, AP story doesn't mention AT. Pitt Spring appears to be near Luray.

http://www2.newsadvance.com/news/201...st-ar-1254105/

Re hiking alone: We just don't know the details of Stonewall's death. It may turn out to have an explanation that doesn't include nefarious conduct. This second death appears to be a "false alarm" with regards to trail safety. The first reports, unfortunately, made it sound like there was a link between the two cases. That appears to not be the case.

It would seem to me that a statistical review of known murders and attempted murders on the AT would show that hiking alone has no disadvantage over not hiking alone.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    It would seem to me that a statistical review of known murders and attempted murders on the AT would show that hiking alone has no disadvantage over not hiking alone.
    You can throw the statistics out if it became known another Hilton was operating in the area.

FTR, that is NOT the case so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    You can throw the statistics out if it became known another Hilton was operating in the area.

FTR, that is NOT the case so far.
    Correct that is not the case here, but in Hilton's known murders (not actually on the trail) he killed two single hikers and one couple. So traveling as a couple did not matter.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I like hiking alone. You may not actually be safer with someone, but it sure makes you feel safer.
    You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim, the mountian's got its own ways.
    -"BearClaw" Chris Lapp-

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Re hiking alone: We just don't know the details of Stonewall's death. It may turn out to have an explanation that doesn't include nefarious conduct.

You are right, of course.

I wish that the FBI would share more detail, especially why they are confident telling the public that simply " exercising the usual precautions" as they would on any trail is in order.

That seems odd.

But so too, it seemed odd to me that it took a full week after Stonewall's body was found before the FBI could share that "the circumstances were suspicious".

I hope there is a good reason why the FBI seems to be telling people not to be concerned.

Images

I camped out on Springer Mtn last Thursday night. I was alone up there except for some freaky dude in the shelter. All the guy wanted to talk about was Gary Hilton. I didn't let it freak me out, but I did sleep turned around in my tent. If he had tried to open the tent flap in the middle of the night I was gonna kick his head off with my big hiker chick legs!
    I guess what I'm trying to say is this. Don't let fear rule your life, but always be prepared for the possible.

Journal Entries
    Images

This guy's speculation is way off the mark, IMO, but speaks to why the FBI should be as forthcoming as possible with new information, I think.

http://www.examiner.com/appalachian-...-hiker-s-death

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++