WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

I have a homemade Jardine style synthetic quilt, a couple of GoLites, and the Nunatak Arc Alpinist. They have all served me well. I originally made the synthetic quilt for fear of getting down wet, but have honed my skills enough to trust myself with down. GoLite quilts are cheaper than Nunatak, but that's because they are made in China. I like to vote with my dollars and support North American companies as much as possible, so I'm sticking with Nunatak from now on. Their quilts are amazing. The only thing I don't like about them is the straps that hold it in place. I cut those off and now have strips of nylon (like wings!) sewn along the sides. This way I can tuck the wings under my body and hold it in place, and getting up to pee is much easier.

The only time I use a traditional sleeping bag is in severe cold. The San Juan range in Colorado along the CDT comes to mind here. This year I might experiment with a bivy sack to boost my quilt's temperature rating.
    IAT '03, AT '04, PCT '06, CDT '07, CT '08, PCT '09, AT '10, CDT '12, AZT and PCT '13

Stir Fry

DIY is the way to go. I made this one used 14oz of down almost 3" of loft, good to 10* and a total weight of 23 oz in the stuff sack.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Garlic
    Images

I've been looking at quilts for a summer trip and I appreciate everyone's comments here.

I looked at Ray Way and do not like that they're synthetic. I was surprised when I read their justification--they'd had bad experience with down on a couple of PCT hikes. That's the exact opposite of my experience--down has performed perfectly for me over several thru hikes now. I wonder what we did differently?

I also appreciate the heads up on Enlightened Equipment. I'm about to push the button on one of their 30F quilts.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

i hammock, but go to ground in the snow with my dog. i use my JRB 0 degree quilt and we were fine at 15. i was surprised. it does have a sewn in foot box. the pad was a Exped Downmat 9 Sleeping Pad with Pump
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

For a flip flopping side sleeper like me or a hammocker its perfect, and can be very small and light.
    M90 or M55 and Climashield is a nice combo.

Only down side is if you move a lot and dont have it tight or it is too small you can pump cold air into it.

I do like them but if I was 0dF or lower I think I would prefer a good bag.

There is a SUL backpacker over at BPL that did the entire AT with a 27dF MLD sprint quilt (M90 and 5 oz climashield I think) that weighed 18 oz.

Here is a read on his setup...
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...=362331#362331

His Gear list...
    http://postholer.com/journal/viewGea...a&event_id=801

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    I don't have many drafts when I use my quilt straps under my pad.
    Do you drink more when you don't use your quilt straps?
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I really like quilts and use them year round (for temperatures above 20 degrees F). The ones I have are the Jacks R Better Sierra Sniveler when its colder and the Shenandoah when its warmer. Do backyard testing to see how cold you can go with different combinations of clothes worn, etc, before pushing your limits on the trail. When it's below 20, I use an oversized sleeping bag (Western Mountaineering Badger) but there are quilts you could use for these lower temps, or I could even combine the Shenadoah and the Sniveller.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I was considering getting quilt. In part to reduce weight and bulk and because of all the people who say they like them. But in the end, I wound up buying another mummy bag. Found a good deal on a 30* Lafuma w/650 fill that was too hard to resist buying. It's not much heavier or bulkier than an equivant quilt.

The thing about the quit was I figured I'd need something to put over my pad like a sheet to keep bare skin from sticking to it (how do you address that?) I use a Neoair pad and if water starts to seep into the tent, that keeps me high and dry. With a quilt I figure that would be more difficult with the edges overhanging the pad. I'd have to try and keep them tucked under me. Also, I might miss the head pouch on the mummy bag. Most of the time I use it to hold my pillow in place, but if it gets really cold, I'll flip the bag over so it lays over my head (since I sleep on my tummy or side). Finally, I like the option of zipping up the bag.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I use a Neoair pad and if water starts to seep into the tent, that keeps me high and dry. With a quilt I figure that would be more difficult with the edges overhanging the pad. I'd have to try and keep them tucked under me.
    I'm doing quilt research right now and I have this exact same question. Especially with down quilts, how do you keep the edges from getting wet/dirty when they drape over the sides of your body/pad?
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Images

I wear a silk nightgown to bed, and built my down quilt with "wings" to tuck under me. It all stays on top of my 25" wide Neo-air Allseason. I got tired of my hood on the unzipped mummy bag covering my face, and the draw cord tickling my nose. That was what inspired me to build a quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I almost always use my sleeping bag AS a quilt. I only buy bags with zippers that go nearly all the way to the foot box. I just unzip it to my ankles, put my feet in, and lay the bag over me. In this mode it is essentially a quilt.

For nights where it gets colder, I will zip it up. I flop around WAY too much to use quilt-mode when it's really cold as I lose the valuable heat.

This way, IMO, I get the best of both worlds.
    Plus 1 here
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I flop and move so much while sleeping that it doesn't matter whether I use a quilt or a bag, some part of me is going to be off the pad at some point. I use a quilt with the wings. Love it.

Images

garlic, tim marshall's stuff is awesome. however check out stormcrow's quilts before you pull the trigger.

http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_10&produc ts_id=2

y
    ou may want him to make it a little wider than the hammock one he has on his page, but he's awesome to work with to do custom orders. plus he'll use whatever material you want him to (i currently am using an underquilt by him that has 1.1 on the outside and 7d on the inside. if i was ordering a new top quilt i'd definitely have 7d or m55 used on the inside. so soft!
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    garlic, tim marshall's stuff is awesome. however check out stormcrow's quilts before you pull the trigger.

http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/inde...&products_id=2
    This is funny--I ordered from Tim Marshall literally a few minutes before your message. Thanks, though. I'm happy with my order of a 30F Revelations quilt. It's the sweet spot I was looking for, in features and price. I'll post my impressions after my first couple of uses.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post
    I'm doing quilt research right now and I have this exact same question. Especially with down quilts, how do you keep the edges from getting wet/dirty when they drape over the sides of your body/pad?
    Never been an issue with me. Keep the tent clean and dry. It's not like the sides are super long.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

I like the idea of a quilt. For colder temperatures, how do you strap it under the pad to get a good seal without getting some condensation problems. Also, do most folks that use quilts for colder temperatures also emplou some form of detachable hood?

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I like the idea of a quilt. For colder temperatures, how do you strap it under the pad to get a good seal without getting some condensation problems. Also, do most folks that use quilts for colder temperatures also emplou some form of detachable hood?
    By condensation, I'm assuming you mean draft. And it's better to tuck the quilt underneath you vs. the pad for a better seal. I'm using a Katabatic Gear quilt, so I can either use straps with buckles or their cord clip system seen here: http://katabaticgear.com/product-manual.pdf. If it's cold enough for me to wear a hood, I'll probably be wearing my hooded down jacket to sleep and add a balaclava.

My Jardine quilt has 'wings' (aka draft stoppers) that run along the sides. When I need to, I can grab the wings and pull them under me to bundle up. Up top, I can either pull it up and over my head (the top edge is sewn so that it's shaped slightly like a cup that conforms to my shoulders and/or head). If it's not cold enough for that, I just wear a buff.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead View Post
    By condensation, I'm assuming you mean draft. And it's better to tuck the quilt underneath you vs. the pad for a better seal.
    Tucking it under your body isn't just to get a better seal, but to reduce the air space your body has to heat up. If the baffles of your quilt are constructed appropriately, you can shift the down away from the edges too.

Made my own and made a few to sell years ago.
    It weighs only 10 oz and I have used it down to high 30's (with clothing layers). I thought of making one for colder tems, but I always have more clothing layers on and just sleep with them.
    Climashield XP and momentum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++