WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Chopsticks as tent Stakes

Just got some today and planning on using em on my next trip. Anyone do this on here? Any old kind of chopstix? Sticks could do just as well potentially. Anyone use sticks they pick up on the trail?

-Thanks peoples, Nemo
    "It is a little star-dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched." Higher Laws, Thoreau

I like your way of thinking.
    Great idea to use things as double duty.
    However, I don't know if I've seen many chopsticks that are strong enough.
    I've made one or two already after losing one, but was glad to get sharp, aluminum or titanium ones back when I found them available again.
    If you use a rock or two to help pin them down, then I would think the chopstick idea might work better (but not good for the LNT camping)

At the least, I'd try it. Just might want to bring along enough just in case.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

The soil around some of the campsites I've used was hard as bricks. . . don't know many chopsticks that wouldn't break under the circumstances.

I used regular sticks found at campsites to supplement...ie...bring 4 stakes when I really need 6...to save weight. Works well. I'm intrigued by the idea of chopsticks though...may have to try that one!

Images

I've gone the other route of using the sticks I find at campsites to be my chopsticks on those rare occasions where I forget to bring any utensils. I've also used metal tent stakes as chopsticks in similar circumstances. { Can you tell this happens often? Tee hee. }

Having done this, I think that if you are going to a wooded enough area, you really don't need to bring sticks - chopsticks that is - to the woods. Just whittle yourself a pair when you get there.

Unless, of course, it is really windy. Then you want something that will capture your tent loop/ring and hold it against the ground. Something with an L shape or a U shape, which neither chopsticks nor normal sticks happen to have.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I've used tent stakes as chopsticks in a pinch. NEver the other way around though.

ballpoint pens work OK as tent stakes. Not sure how they are for writing after a few uses

Quote Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
    Unless, of course, it is really windy. Then you want something that will capture your tent loop/ring and hold it against the ground. Something with an L shape or a U shape, which neither chopsticks nor normal sticks happen to have.
    Yes, that could be a problem. Some of it depends on the tent and if you have sufficently soft ground to put the chop sticks well into the ground at an obtuse angle so the loop doesn't slip out from under the stake. Hard and or rocky ground would be a more significant problem. I think I'll stick with real tent stakes, though even those weren't enough during a windy thunderstorm last spring to keep my tent up!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I forgot my tent stakes on my last trip and had to construct some out of sticks. Hardness of the ground is key here, as I broke afew getting my tent staked out.

Ya I think Ill bring my regular stakes and just test the chopsticks. I feel like you can get some pretty serious chopsticks tho, like more legit than China Best's down the street, and they would be strong enough. There are places I can't get metal ones in either. I feel like you have to select your area more carefully. But then you might be losing out on functionability. Idk. I'm going to do 15 days here in a bit (my longest trip yet by far) and I'll let "yall" know how it goes. Bamboo has some serious strength capabilities though. There's a reason bamboo is hollow.
    "It is a little star-dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched." Higher Laws, Thoreau

I don't think China Best's chopsticks are legitimate bamboo though.

bamboo is stronger than steel (per oz.)
    In structural engineering tests, bamboo has a higher tensile strength than many alloys of steel, and a higher compressive strength than many mixtures of concrete. It even has a higher strength to weight ratio than graphite.

It is incredible stuff and I have seen many amazing things made from it.

My father in law, here in Thailand makes string from it. (hard to break)
    I have hiked with monks who made bowls, spoons for soup, and of course shelter from it.

Others are now making clothes from it as it has wicking tendencies I believe also.
    And flooring.

But tent stakes? Well, tell us how it goes.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

I've been using six REI titanium sporks as tent stakes for years. I'm sure chopsticks would work just as well.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
    For that you can use clothespins.

I use sticks found in the woods. A sharpened end and a notch. No notch desired? Use a branching stick "upside down" so the branching part becomes a hook. Pounded in with a small log and sometimes I cannot remove them even if I tried. Usually I just use longer ones and push them in with foot pressure.

I also sharpen a tri-forked stick if I ever need a fork. Chopsticks in the field? That's even easier to fashion.

Now I know I've sticked my nose into the UL forum before and gave my anti-two cents about the absurdity and I've been slammed for it, and rightfully so, but come on chop sticks....But don't worry I ain't sayin' nothin'

Hey man I can save 3 ounces!

There may be better ways to save 3 oz.
    It'd suck to have your tent blow down in a big rainstorm some night because your chopsticks broke.
    Try switching whatever knife you carry for one razor blade
    Tent stakes tend to be lifesavers.

Use large aluminum gutter nails.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Thank you! I think I've heard of certain types of nails working brilliantly. Might have to start switching the leatherman for a razorblade. I think I'd want a really small pair of scissors more though. I guess I just hate that I never end up using my shelter/stakes. I am inexperienced and its late so I will stop talking.

++ New Posts ++