WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ? bag ratings for Sept/Oct NoVA SB hike

I'm planning to hike for three weeks starting at HF WV in late September, traveling south through SNP and further until I run out of time. I'm wondering which sleeping bag to take--should I take my 25 degree bag or my 0 degree bag? Obviously the 0 degree bag provides more security for unexpected inclement weather but it adds quite a bit of extra weight to the pack. Any advice on what kind of weather to expect would be great! Thanks

Images

The nighttime lows in late Septmber should be in the 50's so the 25 degree bag will be fine.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

25 degree as long as it's a decent or better one.

according to this website, at the higher elevations you should have average highs around 70, average lows around 35, and fairly frequent showers. At lower elevations about 10 or more degrees warmer than that. Sounds about right to me. Days will be starting to get short, so make sure you have a book or something to do in camp. Water should be fine, resupply is OK in that area. The big island/glasgow 'grocery stores' are really gas stations--might want to resupply elsewhere or send a drop there.

It's a pretty mellow section elevation-gain wise. The tread is nice but not perfect (some slightly rocky sections).

Not sure what sort of access you'll have at the south end of your hike to get back to major public transit--it really depends on how far south you make it.

http://www.shenandoah.national-park.com/weather.htm

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

25 to start. I did take a 15 degree though by October, but I sleep cold. Plus its my fav down bag.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I don't know how much this helps but I'm going late Sept. through early Oct. and I'm taking a 32 WM summerlite. Reckon I'll wear clothes or put a liner in it if I need to. Accuweather.com is freaking awesome too. It shows the temperature for any month from 2010 which is nice to look at. See what the averages are and what the extremes were and when and what not. Nothing is going to influence this decision more than personal preference though. I am going to test my new bag in Red Robin's walk in fridge at 38*.
    "It is a little star-dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched." Higher Laws, Thoreau

I will be doing this same hike NOBO in October and I will have a 40 degree down bag and a back-up zippered fleece from Wal-mart. In extreme cold I will sleep wearing my goose down jacket. Last October this worked well from Damascus to Pearisburg. The combined weight of my bag and fleece is 2.2 lbs.

Thanks guys!

25 will be plenty. i hiked last winter with a 20degree bag and temps in the teens and was sweating.

++ New Posts ++