WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Delaware Water Gap

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    Skyline Trail - That sure brings back memories! It's funny. When I backpacked and hiked with others, names like "Pacific Crest Trail" never came up or was spoken of in terms of awe. We just mostly concentrated on the backpacking rather than the planning. Our packs were usually ready to go just in case. We also mostly stuck with local/older names for the trails we were hiking.
    It was like that for me and my hiking buddies in the White Mountains and in Baxter Park for fifteen years or so. We'd often find ourselves on the AT but it was no big deal. Most of our time was on the blue blazes leading up and down the mountains, and if we were camping it was down low, well off the AT. I had climbed Moosilauke several times before I ever did the AT between Glencliff to the summit. I'm not sure I've ever walked the AT between Lafayette and Garfield, but I've summitted each of them numerous times.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    It was like that for me and my hiking buddies in the White Mountains and in Baxter Park for fifteen years or so. We'd often find ourselves on the AT but it was no big deal. Most of our time was on the blue blazes leading up and down the mountains, and if we were camping it was down low, well off the AT. I had climbed Moosilauke several times before I ever did the AT between Glencliff to the summit. I'm not sure I've ever walked the AT between Lafayette and Garfield, but I've summitted each of them numerous times.
    Apparently I haven't changed much because I notice myself doing the same thing over on this coast! I am absolutely loving my exploration of Baxter, Maine, NH, etc. Sometimes on the AT, sometimes off on other trails. There is a lot of gorgeous country over here and it is calling to be explored. I found myself once describing it as "I keep meaning to keep hiking on the AT, but then I get sidetracked and simply must see what is over on this trail."

The year I lived in Portland OR, I did some hiking near Mt. Adams, and Bend (South Sister.) Who knows, maybe I was on the PCT? That was years before I knew or cared about the long trails.

Mine was probably 1967. My dad would bring us hiking gall the time. It would have been some where in CT.

Images

Early 90's Harper's Ferry with my family I remember my Dad telling me we walked on the AT and I thought that was the coolest thing ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1968, started where the Deckertown Pike crosses the AT in Sessex County, NJ.

That ^^^^^ should've said Sussex, not Sessex. Damn spellcheck......

Quote Originally Posted by FooFooCuddlyPoops View Post
    Nope! It isn't. Old rag is in Shenandoah. It had one hell of a rock scramble, and a pretty good incline up to the top.

http://www.hikingupward.com/SNP/OldRag/

Before old rag, I had had some bad experiences doing longer camping trips. I mostly kept things short, and sweet. As far as the AT went, I knew about it, loved to read journals about it, but figured I was too..well..me to do it.

I am not sure why old rag switched something in my brain that made me consider doing a long distance section hike. It just did. I am glad it did because I will finally get to experience the trail's atmosphere for myself instead of being a "arm chair" hiker of the sorts.

^_^ I leave the second week in may for Damascus. I am going to attend trail days, and probably around sat, leave to head up the trail. My plan is to go until I run low on money. I originally planned my trip with deadlines, but fall semester fell through so now I am free to hike all the way to katadin.
    Yeap, that's the Old Rag I was thinking of.

March 23 2015-Springer Mountain. Stepped off September 28 Mount K. Cant stop thinking about it

1976 - Newfound Gap. Most years since then, as it has become a yearly pilgrimage. However, that is the only place that I have touched the AT out of respect for the trail and my dream to hike it GA - ME. It did not seem right to hike any portion until I experience it in it's entirety. I have hiked all over the Smokies but purposefully avoided the AT, including Charlies' Bunion (which has been hard to not just "Do It".). Congrats Bon Bon... I am hoping March 16, 2018 or 19; the year after I retire.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

That I know of, last year in High Point State Park when my daughter and I started section hiking.
    But in 1974 walked up a trail at Mt Washington in NH with my cousins husband but have no clue if that was the AT or not. Just remember that it was July and we walked up to where the snow/ice still remained.

Journal Entries
    Images

Pen Mar. The parents stil live there, and thats where I first set foot on the AT

~Pamela

“Not all those who wander are lost.” ~ J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Fellowship of the Ring"

September or October of 2014. NOC (Nantahala Outdoor Center, NC) Drove up from central FL to do what a guy at an outfitter said would be a good first section hike of the AT: NOC to Clingmans Dome.
    ...some day I'm gonna find that guy

Images

Early March, 2009. A friend and I were doing a loop hike in the Smokies. We spent all day climbing up from Deep Creek to reach the AT near the Mt. Collins shelter. Snow started falling in the morning, and by the time we finally reached the shelter late afternoon we were wading through drifts over a foot deep. After a freezing cold night in the Mt. Collins Shelter, we struggled our way on the AT up to Clingman's Dome. The sky had cleared up by then, and when we climbed the tower we had stunning views of snow covered mountains for miles and miles in every direction. It was a magical experience, and I've been hooked ever since.
    It's all good in the woods.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

August 1979 Unicoi Gap to Wallace Gap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Journal Entries

Set foot on the trail for the first time on august 21, 2014. Started in Branchville New Jersey headed north for about 11 miles. Spent my first night ever outdoors on the trail in the pouring rain and thunder and fell in love ever since. did a section after that from PA/NJ to MA/VT. Now I'm trying to finish the southern half this summer. I've got the hiking bug burned into my brain.

Cooper Gap, Ga. April 3, 2014. Did trail magic for a few thru hikers on the way home from Florida

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somewhere (no idea exactly where) in PA as a 14 year old boy scout. Then 40 years later last September at Pen Mar for a section hike to Duncannon. Returning to Pen Mar in June for another section south to Harpers Ferry.

This seems like a good place for my first post. It was about a month ago where the trail crosses Highway 17A between Warwick and Greenwood Lake in New York.
    -Aaron

Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++