WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast

Cow Camp Gap just past Buena Vista in 2014, by march 2015 I was at amicalola starting my thru

I think the place I first set foot on the AT (knowingly) was in North Adams, MA going SOBO to try to reach the top of Mt. Greylock. My pack was 60lbs. I was 105 lbs. I was a smoker, wore my construction boots, we rented packs from REI and used our military issue sleeping bags. We ran out of water just past the shelter north of Greylock, used the map to locate a "spring". Thank goodness since it was about 95 degrees! We went back to the shelter, passed out without eating dinner I think. Loved watching the hang gliders and looking out over Williamstown though! And we were hooked! Go figure.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Goodness. This is tough. It's possible my first moments on the Appalachian Trail were as a pre-teen in conjunction with a thru-hike of The Long Trail. Mid-90's. I also have early memories of Tyringham Cobble.

Pen-Mar. 6/18/16. 1,286.6 miles since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Michaux State Forest in PA headed north 1988 on an Outward Bound trip

Journal Entries

Became aware of it in 1968, I was 8 YO and on a family vacation. We were at Clingman's Dome and after visiting the tower, we walked about 200 yards NB and then turned around and came back. I told my parents one day I will be back to hike the entire trail.
    Blackheart

Hiked the AT in Harriman state park N.Y. and section hikes it from there into N.J.

Age 8 and what else can i remember

The parking lot by Springer Mt.
    Then again my family went on many vacations when I was young so there is a good chance we walked across or along it for a short distance and didn't know/remember it.

Default WHEN and WHERE you first stepped on the AT?

First set foot on the AT in June 1951, although I didn’t know it.

As a six year old I remember walking across the parking g lot on Newfound Gap then up those steps to the plaque. Was on vacation with my parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I started doing annual section hikes on the AT in May of 2016. We did the Approach Trail to Springer. Back in College at Virginia Tech though in the late 70s/early 80s we used to hike up to Dragon's Tooth which I think is also on the AT.

My first hike on the the appalachian trail was oct 2017,i hiked with my family and our explorer.

Elk Pen parking lot to the Lemon squeezer in Harriman state park, NY got me hooked.

1968 Davenport Gap Tennessee. 6 days with Boy Scouts to Fontana Dam.

Feb of 86 as a Ranger student.

I believe late 60's for me - used to ski at Bromley when I was a kid .

August 2009... I won a backpack and wanted to get out to nature. I took my 10 year old and 12 year old sons and we hiked across the state of Maryland at the beginning of August. What an experience! We "hid" from shelters at first... I was afraid to sleep with strangers... However, after 4 days of solid rain, we stayed in a shelter... and met the most awesome hikers! My sons were impressed - and changed! I have been sectioning since then. They still backpack...

Images

In the early 2000's I was staying in Elizabethton, TN to attend the spring NASCAR race in Bristol, TN. I was in a day before my race buddies so I went on a drive. Ended up at Carvers Gap and went for a mile or two walk out and back in the winter wonderland.

Journal Entries

It is possible it was skiing Butternut in MA, as I understand their trail Crosstown used to be the AT, it is now relocated on the far side and not on the ski slopes anymore.

Images

Around 1954 in my home state of New Hampshire, probably on Mount Washington somewhere, as we kids used to play around up there on nice summer days.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast
++ New Posts ++