WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Centeral Massachusetts Hikers

Hi! I'm looking for other hikers from the Central Mass/Southern New England area to enjoy hiking and backpacking with. My girlfriend and I like doing day trips to pretty much anywhere in New England and are planning on starting some section hikes, we are mid 30's, responsible, health minded, and motivated...anyone interested or point us in the right direction?
    Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you.
    John Muir

Images

I'm in Central Connecticut. Would enjoy hiking with you sometime. You may already know about it, but I loved Mt. Tom when I hiked it this spring, and I gather the Holyoke Range is similarly great hiking. Greylock's a lot of fun - get up there when I can. AT in SW Mass and NW CT is great.

PM me if you'd like to get together for a hike sometime - I've not done Monadnock or Wachusett yet, so either of those would be fun for me.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Late 20's couple also in central MA. We have already completed the trail from Maryland through Vermont. Our goal is to finish the AT once before re-hiking sections. Next year we will be tackling south of Maryland and also New Hampshire. If you are up for some NH trips maybe we can meet up.

Images

You probably know that the Midstate Trail goes through Spencer? http://www.midstatetrail.org/maps.htm
    There are actually a couple of nice little hikes in Worcester (East Side Trail, God's Acre).
    The Monadnock Sunapee Greenway is also good and close.
    The Tully Trail is also close: http://www.thetrustees.org/places-to...lly-trail.html
    Finally the Quabbin Reservoir is great.
    The Worcester Chapter of the AMC sponsors hikes, backpacks, bike rides, etc. There are also some groups on meetup.org that might be good for you.

I'd be interested in joining for some easy hikes or ride sharing. I'm a lot older than you and probably slower. I could to shuttle you for some of the more local hikes.

Check out www.amcberkshire.org, they have many different outings throughout the area all year round.Cosmo

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

If you want to do a long-distance trail in MA, I highly recommend the Metacomet-Monadnock Trail (now incorporated into the New England National Scenic Trail). It runs from the CT border to Monadnock in NH. This trail is easier and more scenic than the AT through Massachusetts.

There's a good guidebook published by the AMC. A few sections are "closed" but can still be legally hiked if you have a map.

Journal Entries
    Images

My Brother-in-law and I are hiking a loop near Greylock starting August 19th, returning the 21st. We're in our 40's. Wouldn't mind saying "hey."

I'm not sure if you're aware of the upcoming ALDHA Gathering, or what it is (a gathering of hikers), but it's going to be held this year, near you, in western Mass, at MCLA and Williams, with free camping nearby. Along with a ton of other trails, I believe a presentation/workshop is going to be on the New England Trail, which runs from CT through Mass and into NH, using the Metacomet-Monadnock, etc.

If you click the brochure link in my sig it will tell you more about it.

I'd be interested in some day hikes on the AT. It's quite a drive for me but I can do it with some advance planning.

Put my name on your list, I joy hiking & backpacking in Mass. on week-ends. I will also plan a few after the Gathering week-end if people are interested.

Mid 30's, in the Berkshires. Always up for meeting new people to enjoy the outdoors with.

Check out Meetup.com. There are several groups who actively hike all around NE with a lot of Mass hikers. Some of the groups have deservedly bad reps for exceeding group sizes but other groups are pretty good. New England Outdoors is one group that might fit. Mostly dayhikes and a lot focused on the 4000 footer list in the whites.

I am running a meetup group trip to Baxter in two weeks (sorry but its booked up).

I'm looking to hike from Kent, CT to Killington, VT @ Mid Sept this year. @ 220 miles & taking about 3 weeks to hike it. I really don't care if I go either direction, but would love to hike and meet up with some other hikers. I've hiked over 3,200 AT miles + another 3,000 since 2003. I'm interested in full pack, slack and being out before big man winter hits. Let me know if anyone is interested.
    It is far better to say this 'One Thing' I do, then these 40 things I dabble in"
    Washington Gladden

I'm always interested in getting out for a weekend. Feel free to PM me if you are interested in working something out. -Steve

++ New Posts ++