WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

If you decide to not carry a "real" map, which is basically fine for the AT you can buy a couple of pocket maps that will give you pretty good information for the parts that you will walk. They are around 18"x4", 2 sided and are easy to carry and use. You're not going to get the detail that you get from a normal topo map but it does give decent data such as milage, elevation, water, shelter, roads, etc. Again, they are not intended to replace a good topo map but they will work in a pinch for the AT. Here's the link: http://pocketprofilemaps.com/appalachian-trail.html

If you buy the individual ones you will need AT-1 and AT-2. They are $3.95 each or you can buy the whole southern set for $19.75. It's too bad that you're not near an REI because they carry them. Otherwise you will need to order them or pick them up at Amicalola, Fontana or a number of other places before you hit the trail.

Images

Thank you for serving us all, Joshua! A couple things for you:

1. Just a thought, but if you start at Clingman's Dome, just a bit north of Fontana Dam, you'll be hitting the highest elevation on the whole A.T. Might be worth it for the views alone, time permitting. I'm betting you'll be able to motor and will likely find, soon if not right away, that 15 miles is a short day for you. Unless you fish a lot. Which brings me to ...

2. I've not read this thead super-closely, but I didn't see where anyone addressed your fishing question. The eastern parts of Fontana Lake, a few miles from the A.T., I hear, has good fishing. I've only heard there here on W.B. and know nothing of it from personal experience. Some others can, I hope, share more about this and other fishing holes on your route.

3. The A.T. is famously well-blazed throughout, and a highly used and so well-worn path, but I think a map, if not also a compass, is an absolute necessity. Probably preaching to the choir, but I only go without a map on trail I know really well from past hikes. I almost never consult a compass - blessed with a good sense of direction and good nav skills - but am never w/o a map on new trail.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Journal Entries
    Images

Might want to bring your poncho liner. Quite frankly I did that section back in 78 and forgot alot but it did get chilly late. Carried C's for the first 100 clicks (4 days) Back when I was with the 508th the rucks had a frame. Did we ever go to internal frames for humping 11 Bushs?

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Might want to bring your poncho liner. Quite frankly I did that section back in 78 and forgot alot but it did get chilly late. Carried C's for the first 100 clicks (4 days) Back when I was with the 508th the rucks had a frame. Did we ever go to internal frames for humping 11 Bushs?
    Sir, I go no where without my poncho liner... And I wish that we still had the old C rations, the new MRE's don't even come close. We are still using external framed 100L rucksacks... The frame is no longer metal, however, but a contoured plastic that fits quite nicely on your back. But its way to be to be justify taking it without 6 months worth of gear in it...

As far as fishing is concerned... I have promised myself that I am going to devote one day (at least) to eating nothing that I cannot procure naturally, and trout freshly caught is incredibly tasty!

Once again, thank you all for your advice. God bless! ( 7 days and I'm on the Trail!!!!!)

Only the Marines have an 'issued' internal frame pack now. They call it the ILBE, it is an Arc'teryx Bora 90 reinforced to carry 120lbs and in multicam vice standard civilian colors. This pack is night and day comfortable to any other military pack ever issued, including the current army MOLLE packs or whatever they are called.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbelly View Post
    Only the Marines have an 'issued' internal frame pack now. They call it the ILBE, it is an Arc'teryx Bora 90 reinforced to carry 120lbs and in multicam vice standard civilian colors. This pack is night and day comfortable to any other military pack ever issued, including the current army MOLLE packs or whatever they are called.
    I have seen those, and I have to say that I am quite jealous...

Journal Entries
    Images

Josh I work for a living. Understand the sir thing as my Dad was a ranger from the south, never took **** off nobodys mouth. Give him any lip ya better run for your life. Carried a gun and a knife. Germans ran for thier life. On the belt a hand gernade between the toes razer blades.. Name is Lemon on the trail. Dwight at home. Thia time of year might think of hiking up North.

Journal Entries
    Images

Trail Name in 78 was Tunnel Rat the kids changed it.

Images

My son is currently in Afghanistan. I thank you both for your sacrifice. As a parent of a soldier having served 4 loooong tours I know the need to get out and relax. That section of AT will be fun.

Just a word, I am a GATC maintainer and I have been hearing that water is getting to be an issue on the trail in GA. Pirate posted today that water between Springer and Neel Gap is limited. Just a heads up on the situation. The springs at a lot of the shelters get very iffy this time of year. Still plenty of sources available. Best of carry 1 more liter than you think you need.
    Sue Buak

I was on the trail between Woody Gap and Blood Mountain on Saturday. There is still water in Lance Creek, but most of the smaller streams have little to none in them. It did rain there late Saturday so that will probably help some, at least for the first part of the week.

The adventure begins today!!! Thank you everyone for all of your advice! I will let you all know how it goes and I will upload some pictures soon!

Enjoy your month off. You sure earned it. Have a great hike.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++