WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Holy hell.. 6 tours going on 7?

These wars need to end.

Anyway, I wish you the best of times on your hike!!

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny2012 View Post
    Holy hell.. 6 tours going on 7?

These wars need to end.

Anyway, I wish you the best of times on your hike!!
    Who are you telling? haha.... Yeah, it will end in good time. Lord knows that we can't afford it any more... Thank you for the well wishing, i will let you know how it turns out...

SSG Stuart,

First let me say from one Army soldier to another, great job over there!!! In our line of work it involves many, many long hours, stress and low pay for what we do. For me, backpacking is a great way to unwind. It gets you away from all that. It is a chance to hike as far and as long as you want with a chance to relax your mind and on top of that it give you a chance to meet some really great people.

Here is my suggestion. First don't take any Army equipment if you can afford it. I've hiked the Appalachian Trail several times and never take any of my Army Equipment. It is unnecessary heavy and uncomfortable. It is also a chance to get that break you need. A chance to clear you mind.
    There is a number of good stores such as REI which is a great place to get your equipment. I would get a small light weight sleeping bag. It may cost a few extra bucks but it will be worth it. The smaller your sleeping bag means you can get a smaller backpack saving both weight on your back for the same amount of money. I don't fish on the trail but it sounds like something you enjoy. I would suggest taking a little bit larger pack to have those extra things that you would like to have.
    Clothing does not have to be heavy. The heavy something is, general will take longer to dry off.

I like to use a tarp which helps me feel like I still sleeping in nature while still having cover from Rain but it is up to you. I just wanted to point out there are more options than the normal sleeping in a tent.

This is your vacation, enjoy it! It is not a road march. If you feel like hiking 20 miles a day then do it. If you feel like only doing 5 then do it. Have FUN!!!

V/R

Wolf
    AT * 5

Quote Originally Posted by jstuart5487 View Post
    I don't plan on messing with any Rangers anytime soon, have you seen those guys? ;-)
    LOL I'm at Bragg. Seems like every guy who hits on me is a Ranger, Delta, or Special Forces

Sorry Fog Horn, but I just gotta ask. You are a girl.....right?

joshua, thankyou so much for all you have done for all of us to enjoy are freedoms.
    if you need any gear or anything please ask. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigFoot2002 View Post
    Sorry Fog Horn, but I just gotta ask. You are a girl.....right?
    I sure hope so, or I've been using the wrong bathroom for the last 29 years haha.

That's a relief Fog Horn. lol

SGT I would thank you for your service, as I often do when I see a vet, but I have noticed it often makes vets uncomfortable when I do so. So I won't say thanks, I am privileged to hike the AT because of your service and sacrifice. But I often reflect while I am out there, that I am privileged to hike this beautiful country because of the service and sacrifice of a whole lot of people like you.

Also, I noticed on another thread that you are a hammock hanger. In my opinion that is a great option for this section this time of year. Get with SGT Rock for more hammock advice on the trail and at work.

Have a great hike, and another when you get back safe.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fog Horn View Post
    I usually have a hard time with "you're welcome" because it implies that I did something worth thanking for (which is the topic for debate, since its just doing my job). I have found that replying with "thank you for your support" has worked the best.
    First of all you did do something worth thanking for even though you may feel you are "just doing your job". The "thank you for your support" is a very nice reply. BTW thank you all here on WB for your service. That being said, I will stand down and let the topic return to Joshua's original question.
    Seek, and you shall find.

Nothing wrong with gay people in the military, don't ask don't tell is gone.

Absolutely not. Go Navy.

Images

The parking area is in Amicalola Falls State Park, and it's a fitting end to a long section. The Approach Trail is easy southbound, and you'll walk down the falls and through the arch to the park HQ. Very pleasant. You can spend your last night on top of Springer, then hike out the next morning and be in town for lunch.

The first couple of times I hiked, I felt kinda naked without my M16. I'd occasionally wake up in a panic thinking I'd lost it. (I didn't have any outdoor experience before the Army.) That was many years ago, and I have to say, the adjustment turned out to be easy. Civilian hiking is great, and no one shoots at you.

Have a GREAT trip.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks for holding down the fort. The trail is a place to relax. Use Geo survey maps for pace elevation counts. The route is marked. On the wisperlight watch carban buildup on the jet with unleaded gas. The sticks are for us old troopers knees. Enjoy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fog Horn View Post
    LOL I'm at Bragg. Seems like every guy who hits on me is a Ranger, Delta, or Special Forces
    You have caught the attention of some of the best men in America. You must be doing something right!

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    The parking area is in Amicalola Falls State Park, and it's a fitting end to a long section. The Approach Trail is easy southbound, and you'll walk down the falls and through the arch to the park HQ. Very pleasant. You can spend your last night on top of Springer, then hike out the next morning and be in town for lunch.

The first couple of times I hiked, I felt kinda naked without my M16. I'd occasionally wake up in a panic thinking I'd lost it. (I didn't have any outdoor experience before the Army.) That was many years ago, and I have to say, the adjustment turned out to be easy. Civilian hiking is great, and no one shoots at you.

Have a GREAT trip.
    Sir, I wake up in my apartment some nights looking for my m-4, I know the feeling... Thanks for the well wishes!

Is there anywhere that I can order 1/50,000 topo maps for this leg of the trail?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny2012 View Post
    Nothing wrong with gay people in the military, don't ask don't tell is gone.
    I thought I had read every page of this thread but perhaps I missed a post.

***?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Working on Forestry Grad schol

http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/quickstart.pdf

i
    f you want to print them off at home or a print shop, they're free to download.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jstuart5487 View Post
    Is there anywhere that I can order 1/50,000 topo maps for this leg of the trail?
    You can buy the ATC official maps. There are two of them that cover the trail from Springer to the Smokies. They'll be available in any decent hiking outfitter, or online at the ATC web site. Or you can stop by the outfitter at Neels Gap on your way to Springer, and buy them there. The maps are very good.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Sorry, here's the link for the ATC store online:

http://www.atctrailstore.org/
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++