WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default White Mountains - SOBO - Backup Strategies

I'm flipping to SOBO next week and am finalizing my plans. I'm a little leary of the availability of work for stay, so want to have backup plans for Madison Spring Hut, Lake of the Clouds Hut and Lonesome Lake Hut.

Can anyone give me some guidance on the next SOBO spots to stop if I can't get into the above huts?

Thanks in advance...

Just take a lil extra cash so if the work-for-stay are already accounted for you can pay for your spot and stay anyway.

My concern is also if there are not spots to pay for (i.e. the hut is full)...

If your worried about availability, call and make reservations. Here is a link to hut availability for the AMC huts. http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/avai...ilability.main

Images

for madison, hit osgood before or valley way campsite, from there there arent many alternatives till you hit crawford notch, difficult to stealth camp as you're above treeline betwen madison and mizpah.possibly hermit lake shelters , a nice hike down mt washington., then back up and onto crawford notch.

Images

PS Neumann tentsite is right near mizpah hut off Mt pierce., you also have 3 rmc facilities near madison and adams, go to randolphmountainclub.org for details

Images

A couple of miles south of Lonesome Lake Hut is Kinsman Pond Shelter. I stayed there this year. Cost is $8.00 and it is a very nice shelter in a beautiful setting. They also have tent sites if you prefer that.
    Seek, and you shall find.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by About_Time View Post
    I'm flipping to SOBO next week and am finalizing my plans. I'm a little leary of the availability of work for stay, so want to have backup plans for Madison Spring Hut, Lake of the Clouds Hut and Lonesome Lake Hut.

Can anyone give me some guidance on the next SOBO spots to stop if I can't get into the above huts?

Thanks in advance...
    Osgood, Perch, Nuaman. Then wing it.

The Jewell trail has a bunch of bootleg sites below treeline. There is a usually a stream that cross the trail between the Gulfside(AT) and the Jewell trail at or above treeline. There is a opening to the right with room for possibly two tents and some single spots out in the woods to the left. Despite being below treeline, this is still a very exposed spot on top of a ridge facing the direction of prevailing weather. There is no viable camping down Caps Ridge Trail or the Castle trail unless you go way down (a couple of miles).

One backup plan to keep in mind is when hiking southbound if you have to bail, go right off the ridge, until Franconia Notch. All the trails that go left drop either into the Great Gulf or the Dry River or Pemi Wilderness.The areas are very remote and will take a while to get to civilization. There are roads that roughly parallel the ridge on the right. Do note that you need to take a trail, just dropping off the ridge without a trail can get you in some nasty territory with all sorts of potential for injury and in general a real bad time (plus no reliable cell phone service).

Near Madison hut there are Craig Camp, Gray Knob, valley Way tentsites and the Perch leanto. Near Lakes of the Clouds you could dip down to campsite #3 in the Dry river. there are tent sites at Mizpah springs Hut and you are only a few miles from the Highland Center. There is not a whole lot of water places along the ridge except for the huts and a few springs, so be prepared to carry some extra.

Going there this Friday for a week... good luck!

++ New Posts ++