WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default previous thru-hiker of the AT

I plan to hike the AT in 2012 and would like to talk to any AT thru-Hikers to get information about hiking the trail. I need everything any one can provide. This would include gear,food,cloths and such. If you will provide me with a telephone number and the best time to call I will call you so you have no expense. I know that talking to a thru hiker is the best way to get information.

Please contact me at [email protected]
    or 972-495-0164

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
    Tomman
    AKA Cherokee Tom

Images

Hey Tomman,
    Every thru hiker will have their own way, so sometimes it is best to read about several ways to do something, and then figure out which one works best for you. what worked for a previous thru hiker might not work for you.

there are tons of articles on this website about clothes, food, and gear. even paces of hiking, injury problems and reasons why people quit the trail. I'd say just search through this website first.
    Good luck!

Tom, you can also make a list of questions you're most concerned about and post here. That way you'll get several different answers and hopefully find one that suits you best.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Tom, you can also make a list of questions you're most concerned about and post here. That way you'll get several different answers and hopefully find one that suits you best.
    Tom,
    I attempted a thru hike in 2009 and am heading back to do the NH/Maine section in a week ...
    PM me and we can hook up by phone or hike at the Cedar Ridge Preserve in South dallas ...

O.M. River www.trailjouurnals.com/omriver
    "the legs feed the wolf gentlemen, the legs feed the wolf" from the movie "Miracle"

Here's two articles that really helped me when I was planning my thru-hike.

The first is a 10 page article from Backpacker Magazine HERE . Breaks the AT down into sections and tells you what to expect. Lots of great tips. Print it out for easy reference. Ignore the pop-up screen if you get any.

As far as equipment goes, pack guru Winton Porter covers all you really need. See the Mountain Crossings Method HERE . It'll give you a 16-19 lb base weight cold weather pack, not too shabby. Adjust it to go even lighter in summer. I'd add a trash compactor bag. Be certain to get a free pack shake down when you hit Neels Gap.

PM me if you need more info.

Cheers!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Reading other's trail journals on trailjournals.com is a very helpful way to get info too. As well as looking at gear lists, etc. But honestly, do the best you can and just start hiking. You'll learn as you go like everyone else out there.

I also talk about various topics on my blog. Haven't dealt with clothing yet but I have talked about food, sleep system, etc.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Here's two articles that really helped me when I was planning my thru-hike.

The first is a 10 page article from Backpacker Magazine HERE . Breaks the AT down into sections and tells you what to expect. Lots of great tips. Print it out for easy reference. Ignore the pop-up screen if you get any.

As far as equipment goes, pack guru Winton Porter covers all you really need. See the Mountain Crossings Method HERE . It'll give you a 16-19 lb base weight cold weather pack, not too shabby. Adjust it to go even lighter in summer. I'd add a trash compactor bag. Be certain to get a free pack shake down when you hit Neels Gap.

PM me if you need more info.

Cheers!
    Nice torso Spokes, you been working out?
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Quote Originally Posted by HiKen2011 View Post
    Nice torso Spokes, you been working out?
    heheheheheeeee.............. just tryin' to maintain my girlish figure.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by texman View Post
    tom,
    i attempted a thru hike in 2009 and am heading back to do the nh/maine section in a week ...
    Pm me and we can hook up by phone or hike at the cedar ridge preserve in south dallas ...

O.m. River www.trailjouurnals.com/omriver
    shout out to omr and to spokes! I was hiking with OMR in 09 when I met Spokes in VA.
    Last edited by Red Hat; 08-06-2011 at 11:53.

Cheers Red Hat! It was fun hanging out with you guys in 2009 even though short. Have fun in New Hampshire and Maine.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Cheers Red Hat! It was fun hanging out with you guys in 2009 even though short. Have fun in New Hampshire and Maine.
    Actually it's Old Man River who's headed to NH and ME, I'm headed to the JMT. OMR and I haven't hiked together since 09.

tomman, I hope you have gotten the help you wanted. Good luck!

Have a look at the article that I posted just after completing my Thru in '09:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...d-explanations

If you have any thoughts about the article write them in the thread.

-McBride

Oh and there were two guys named Tiger and Gator from my year that did a NOBO thru that were your age. I would recommend getting in touch with them. I can get you their numbers if you send me a private message.

++ New Posts ++