WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Thank you all for your input. I think i am most defiantly going with a down bag now. With that said do you guys no of any good bags that are in the mid 200 price range that will last and can be compressed to a good size. Hopefully you all can give me a little advise on this question to thanks.

Journal Entries
    Images

Got a down 550 Kelty today low money. Was wondering what all those ratings numbers mean? I see 800, 600, and 550. Seems like the 800 is the most money.
    Do any of the numbers have to do with mosture retention or just insolation or something else? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Wiggy's. That's hilarious. I used to love it when the owner himself would get on the Backpacker forum and tell everyone they were crazy and stupid.

Keeping a down bag dry is a skill set somewhat akin to walking and chewing gum simultaneously. A synthetic bag will lose about 30% of it's temp rating the first year you use it. And a synthetic bag that is wet is way over-rated as far as keeping you warm.

Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

How do you get to this 30% temp. rating lose in that first year of use. I have had my Wiggy's ftrss for six years and it's warm when I stay out in 0*F to -15*(wind chill) Hunting in PA winters.
    Last edited by ALLEGHENY; 08-14-2011 at 11:13. Reason: correction

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Got a down 550 Kelty today low money. Was wondering what all those ratings numbers mean? I see 800, 600, and 550. Seems like the 800 is the most money.
    Do any of the numbers have to do with mosture retention or just insolation or something else? Thanks
    The numbers corespond to the free loft of an ounce of down in cubic inches.
    So imagine an ounce of down inside a plastic box 550 cubic inches in volume and that is what you have.
    Some of the higher quality down like 800 fill power that WM and others use would fill up a box 800 cubic inches in volume for that same single ounce of down.
    So theoretically a bag with higher fill power down will have more loft for the same weight as a lower fill power down.
    Whether the ounces saved and the money spent is worth while to you is entirely personal.
    Last edited by Iceaxe; 08-13-2011 at 20:53.
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The numbers corespond to the free loft of an ounce of down in cubic inches.
    So imagine an ounce of down inside a plastic box 550 cubic inches in volume and that is what you have.
    Some of the higher quality down like 800 fill power that WM and others use would fill up a box 800 cubic inches in volume for that same single ounce of down.
    Also, adding to that idea... The high the fill number, the better quailty of the down. So a sleeping bag rated at 20 Degrees F, with 600 will wiegh more than a 20 degree bag with 800 fill. That's where the price differences start, coupled with the outter material and brand of the bag.

There are a lot of decent bags for the AT. The cheapest one people on WB tend to throw around for a first purchase is the Campmor 20 degree, weighing in at around 2 pounds. From there, you just have to see what works for you!

Images

How and why does a synthetic bag lose 30% of its insulative value?

there's no reason a down bag should get wet. You put it in a water proof stuff sack and put that into a waterproof garbage bag in your pack. Only take bag out when in shelter or tent. I carried a down bag on my thru and i was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Currahee D View Post
    The breaking down of fibers and lack of loft.

I have a nice collection of sleeping bags. Some of them are down Holubar & Sierra Designs bags from the late '60s, early '70s. In those days down was it. The alternatives were just not that good. Today, the synthetic bags are really good, light and easy to care for. I almost always use a synthetic bag any more. In a cold, dry climate where weight and space are primary concerns, down still has a significant edge.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    there's no reason a down bag should get wet. You put it in a water proof stuff sack and put that into a waterproof garbage bag in your pack. Only take bag out when in shelter or tent. I carried a down bag on my thru and i was fine.
    There are lots of ways for a bag to get wet. Condensation is one. This can be minimized by proper use. Another way can be if you're in a tent in a real shoulda-stayed-at-home, frog-choking, gully-washer. In one of those, everything gets wet.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Currahee D View Post
    Every time you compress it, it loses some loft. Use a compression stuff sack, it's even worse. Only way around this is to use an excess of insulation, which results in a much, much heavier bag, but you lose temp rating slower. Some synthetics lose loft more slowly, but they all lose it, unlike a down bag, where a quality bag will keep it's loft for 15-20 years if properly cared for.

For a down bag in the $200s, I'd look at a Marmot. You can use spadout.com to find the best deals. And if you wanted to spend more and get a lifetime bag, there is always Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

If you are hiking in a warm humid environment there's nothing wrong in using a light synthetic well designed sleeping bag. You can save some money as well. Down is certainly a versatile fill material but it is not always the best choice.

+1 to down.

I think it's a bad idea to use only this one factor in judging the bag. Go and look at two bags in a store. Compare how well they compress into their stuff sacks. Compare the weight. Next see how well they "drape" or contour to your body.

To me there's no comparison.

Oh, and a synthetic bag will quickly degrade, even if stored properly. a good quality down bag will last you a very long time with proper "care and feeding".

Quote Originally Posted by House of Payne View Post
    Wait, down should not be disregarded just for that reason alone. I would think that the bag getting wet is the one big CON, yet there are so many more PROS to consider. Aside from lower weights and compactability most down bags today have 'water repellent' shells now, enough to shed light amounts of water without compromising the fill.
    This is true. I always used to hear and believe that synthetic fill was the better choice for use on the AT due to the wet conditions that one is going to be finding themselves in. But after learning more, I now believe down is the way to go. It is much lighter, compresses better, and like you say if you get the water repellent coating on the bag, and keep it in a waterproof bag until ready to use, I think if care is given, down is the better choice of the two. One note though in regards to the water repellent coating, I did hear that the bag can begin to become damp inside from use over time, and when possible to it is smart to open it up to allow it to dry out every once and awhile.

Down, as long as you are not careless. When wet is impossible to dry and will not keep you warm, like wet jeans. Synthetic, especially the high end stuff, will keep you warm even when wet. Your call.

Really just a weight issue. Synthetic will be heavier for the same warmth delivered by down.

...... I would recommend synthetic if canoing or kayaking. I use a Marmot Cat's Meow and really like this bag. Anything other than traveling on water I use a WM down bag.

Journal Entries

I personally use a Mountain Hardwear Synthetic. I agree with Wise Old Owl, get a good dry bag and move on to the next point of discussion "weight" and "features." I really like these Cuben Dry bags. They are glued and seam sealed with roll top. Fair prices too. I have one as a liner for my pack and another for my sleeping back and base layer. http://lawsonequipment.com/All-Produ...bags-p508.html

Billie Blazes

Images

There is no reason a down bag should get wet - you carry it in a stuff sack and a plastic bag inside that, so, go for it --- but, the driest tent will build up condensation and not all shelters are waterproof and frankly, after a few 25 mile days, you sometimes get careless - I use a down bag in the winter and will often use it on 5-10 day backpacking trips but for a thru hike, I would use a light synthetic bag except for the White Mountains where I would carry a down bag. If I was in GA before April 1 and in Maine after September 15, I might also use a down bag.
    FYI, for my thru-hike, I used a 20 degree(?) Caribou Synthetic Bag (which was pretty big) almost the entire way - I was SOBO. I transitioned to a North Face Bag down in Damascus VA.

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    It's not difficult to keep down bags dry in the worst conditions with a little effort.
    +1 on down; just take good care of it; always keep inside a waterproof bag inside your pack; dry in the sun when you can
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Down........ Yes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++