WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Filtering water prior to Aqua Mira

Is there any reason to use some sort of mesh filter (cheese cloth?) when filling a water bottle PRIOR to using Aqua Mira? This would just be used to get big stuff out like leave parts, etc. I tried a test last night using a banadana and it did not work.

use a coffee filter

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by shorembo View Post
    Is there any reason to use some sort of mesh filter (cheese cloth?) when filling a water bottle PRIOR to using Aqua Mira? This would just be used to get big stuff out like leave parts, etc. I tried a test last night using a banadana and it did not work.
    Please don't take it the wrong way and it's not a personal attack, but I'd suspect operator error. This is the only method I use to get the floaties/chunkies out of my water and it works without fail everytime. HYOH, but IMO, no need to carry chesecloth when a bandana will serve the purpose and be a multi-tasker on the trail as well.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I bring along a few coffee filters for those rare times when there's too much big stuff floating in the water. It takes a fair amount of time for the water to seep through, and ideally you form a "funnel" inside your water bottle to build up a bit of pressure.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

aka Kudzu
    Images

Depending on where you get your water from you'll definitely want to filter. I used the Steripen FitsAll Filter on my last hike and it worked well.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Please don't take it the wrong way and it's not a personal attack, but I'd suspect operator error. This is the only method I use to get the floaties/chunkies out of my water and it works without fail everytime. HYOH, but IMO, no need to carry chesecloth when a bandana will serve the purpose and be a multi-tasker on the trail as well.
    How long does it take to filter using a banadana? Last night, I took a regular bandana out along with a 32oz gatorade bottle. In my first test, I covered the opening with the bandana (one layer) and ran a small stream of water from the faucet into the bottle. Most of the water just dripped down the sides.

I then got serious and tied off the bandana around the opening (still one layer) and dunked the whole thing in my pool. I ended up having to squeeze the bajeezus out of the bottle to get the air out and water in.

I kinda was thinking the whole filtering thing to get gunk out would be easy and not some 15+ minute wait.

Images

I use a bandana to filter prior to using my Steripen. I lay the bandana over the mouth of the bottle and then push it down into the bottle a little ways to form sort of a cup. then pour water into it and it only take a minute to fill up the bottle. If the water is just running off you probably have it stretched too tight.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

When desperate for water and forced to drink from a mud hole or lick it off a rock I always try to treat it the best I can and then "just swallow it quickly" and not give it too much thought.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by shorembo View Post
    How long does it take to filter using a banadana?
    Depends on how fast the water is flowing, but usually no slower than the water flow itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    I lay the bandana over the mouth of the bottle and then push it down into the bottle a little ways to form sort of a cup. then pour water into it and it only take a minute to fill up the bottle. If the water is just running off you probably have it stretched too tight.
    There ya have it. I fold my bandana over double to do this, but to each their own.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

I think that's what you have teeth for

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Depends on how fast the water is flowing, but usually no slower than the water flow itself.

There ya have it. I fold my bandana over double to do this, but to each their own.
    Thanks...
    That makes sense about not having the banadana tight. I will give it a try tonite.

Stir Fry

I do use a bandana, to get ride of the little swimming things. Most will die when the water is treated but the thought that there bodies are still there bothers me if I don't strain it some. Coffee filters do work but begain to fall apart to quickly.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    When desperate for water and forced to drink from a mud hole or lick it off a rock I always try to treat it the best I can and then "just swallow it quickly" and not give it too much thought.
    That's about the size of it. I never prefiltered before Aqua Mira and the stuff I drank from had nice organic material during the drought in NE last fall.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Short answer, Nah!

A bandanna works fine..............most times its just not needed, plus what do we have with "floaties" - what is in our stomach is like hydrochloric acid!

Last year in SW Virginia I was scooping muddy water with the top of a gatorade bottle, forget the floaties, all kinds of critters swimming around in the limited water pockets.............

Aqua Mira is a solid product from my view.............have had zero problems.

Water filter was 13 ounces = gone.

I tried the bandana using the correct technique of not having it tight over the bottle. Worked like I originally thought it should.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    Short answer, Nah!<br>
    <br>
    A bandanna works fine..............most times its just not needed, plus what do we have with "floaties" - what is in our stomach is like hydrochloric acid!<br>
    <br>
    Last year in SW Virginia I was scooping muddy water with the top of a gatorade bottle, forget the floaties, all kinds of critters swimming around in the limited water pockets.............<br>
    <br>
    Aqua Mira is a solid product from my view.............have had zero problems. <br>
    <br>
    Water filter was 13 ounces = gone.
    <br><br>Try bleach, it's cheaper and just as good.

I used AquaMira and never had any issues with floaties on my entire thru hike. No bandana, no coffee filter needed. Take your time dipping water and take a deep cleansing breath.......... ohhhmmmmmmmmmm.

Of course if your like an elephant at the water source there's absolutely no help for you.

Images

Rarely do you have so many floaties that filtering is needed, unless you are a klutz while dipping your water. :-)

On the few occasions I felt the need to filter it was out west, when collecting water from a cattle trough. Then a relatively clean wool sock worked great. Porous enough that it allowed the water and air to pass, but did catch most of the larger hairs/leaves/twigs/grass/slober. I did double treat.

Default Fine Wire Mesh Material Better?

I am wondering if instead of using coffee filters or something cheap would a fine metal mesh work better?

If you went and checked out a small sample from
    http://www.bwire.com/

Something like a 200 x 200 stainless steel wire mesh?

Would this do the trick? Obviously a bit more expensive but owuld also certainly last longer I would think? What do you guys think?

Images

http://www.botaofboulder.com/water-f...on-system-22oz I use the bottle for everything drank alot of river water using it never been sick its simple and no fuss
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

++ New Posts ++