WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

Exclamation Cove Mountain Shelter

On the front of the shelter is a notice saying that numerous porcupines have been sighted inside and outside of the shelter. As of last night, one porcupine came into the shelter after dark...spent the evening chewing up the shelter....even to the point of climbing up to the second level of the bunk beds...and then calmly sat (apparently sleeping) on the lateral rail next to the shelter journal area even after the sun was up.

Given that (at least this one critter) the porcupine was not afraid of people (there were two people in the shelter when the critter first came in; and one of the hikers spent the night in the shelter with the critter), was not put off by noise and/or bright lights; it is probably time for someone from fish and game (or whatever) to live trap it and get it to a new non-shelter location.

I like critters as much as anyone...but I would not want to try to hike out from Cove Mountain shelter into Duncannon....with a porcupine quill or quills in my face and/or eye.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

They are after salt. Put out some salt licks in the area. That is what we do in the great Northwoods of Upper Michigan. They will then stop eating the shelter. At least this is the story we tell the game wardens.

Quote Originally Posted by UpHillPuffer View Post
    I like critters as much as anyone...but I would not want to try to hike out from Cove Mountain shelter into Duncannon....with a porcupine quill or quills in my face and/or eye.
    Only in movies can porcupines "throw" quills. A dog or person has to come in contact with them before they release.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Porkies, We like having them in abundance in the great northwoods. If you get lost and are facing starvation they are easy to kill with just a club. They cook up real good. Remarkably, you have no troubles with the quills. Although, when you get one all skinned out and ready to cook, they have the same coloration as a baby.(that's kind of gross)

++ New Posts ++