WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

So, I have had the Bear Vault 400 for about 6 years now. I was one of the lucky individuals who got one of the test lids with the double bumps around 2006. When I used it, (to test the lid), I didn't have any problems with bears on those trips. I let the company know that nothing had occurred.... I never thought much about it afterward, but thanks for letting me know that the same bear has also figured out the new lids in the HP region.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by wincheck View Post
    What are the lightest canisters available? I'm heading up to the Adirondacks for the first time where canisters are required. Need something that would fit in a GG Vapor Trail or Nimbus Meridian.

In the Adirondacks you can rent bear canisters from the Adirondack Loj (http://www.adk.org/home-flash.aspx)

They do have DEC officers in the High Peaks that will check to be sure you have them.
    "I don't see what that's got to do with catchin' birds." ~The Kid

Anyone know if it's possible to rent a Bearikade in the Adirondacks area?

Allen from Wild-Ideas said an Aug. 8 order for Aug. 13 was not enough time, which I found surprising since they use USPS Priority Delivery (3 day shipping). Oh, well.

He said the DEC bought a bunch of Bearikades a few years ago but I can't seem to find any rental info. I know the Loj rents the Garcia Bear Cache but I'm trying to avoid the extra weight.

EMS in Lake Placid is the only other place I know of that rents them, don't know what kind they have as I've never asked.
    "I don't see what that's got to do with catchin' birds." ~The Kid

I am just shocked at the price! Dang!
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

Have you considered a Ursack? I love mine! It's not nearly as heavy as a bear cansiter. The Ursack, when used with a Loksack that completely blocks odors, is really all you need on the AT (they are not approved for the bears out west). The Ursack is made of a completely puncture-proof woven material that prison guards wear to prevent stabbing wounds. The Ursack has a rope at the top, but not to hang the bag with. The idea is to tie the bag to the base of a tree so nothing can carry it off. Ursack gives good instructions for tying bear-proof knots. The interior Loksack prevents animals from finding it in the first place; the exterior Ursack material keeps animals from chewing their way into your food. It won't, however, prevent a bear from mauling your food and squishing it, so you have to make sure to use the Loksack properly so the bears don't find it in the first place. I've used mine from Springer to the NOC (135 miles) with no problems. I usually find a small tree, as far away from my tent as possible, and tie the Ursack to the base of the tree. I've never once had a mouse or other animal find it or chew through it. I hung it on the bear cables a few times and several people had their food sacks chewed through by mice but mine was untouched every time. http://ursack.com/ they even have a video of a bear trying to get into the Ursack--it finally gives up!

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm with carpediemkath on this one. I love my Usack and made a video when we was camping on the river.Hope this helps!! HS http://www.youtube.com/user/hikingshoes#p/u

Images

Jack.. you're very foolish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++