WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default If you only had 140 dollars

And needed to buy a backpack what would you go with?

Google "JanSport Big Bear backpack" and you will find a number of places on the web to buy this good-sized backpack (weighing around four pounds) for anywhere from $80 to $110. I don't own this backpack, and I've never used it, but it meets your price goal. I have read repeatedly that the advertised claim that this pack has a volume of 5000 cubic inches is incorrect -- it's more like 4000 cubic inches.

thanks for the imput guys ill check them out ,what do u think about this bag?http://www.o2gearshop.com/catalog/pr...c=1&zmap=30830

i purchased one of these for my son this spring, http://www.bobwards.com/products2.cf...googleproducts he carried it from pen-mar to dwg with no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by japhyryder View Post
    And needed to buy a backpack what would you go with?
    A $60 dollar loan from someone so I could get a ULA Circuit! Hey, just me. You asked!

I would check out the for sale section of the site... there is a large Aether70 for $175 and a medium Aether85 for $165 right now. They are a bit above budget, but in my opinion well worth the money. Maybe these members would be willing to work with you on price?

If your looking for brand new, E-OMC has Osprey's Kestrel68 for sale for $160... this is the bag I use and LOVE IT!

The north face alteo 50 is to sale for $139 free shipping check out sunny sports.

Images

zpacks zero in medium. but only if you have an ultralight load.

http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/zero.shtml
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

if ultralight, ula cdt.

Mountainsmith makes some nice packs. Campmor has these two for $140
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___48445
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___48446
    There a bit heavy but I never heard anything really bad about them. I have a Mountainsmith day pack that's about 8 years old, used and abused and is in great shape.
    If you are near the Campmor store, go check out their clearance section. They have some Osprey Aether 60's and maybe 70's for like $120-, but I think they only have small and maybe medium. They are one of the most comfortable packs I ever had. They have a bunch of other packs there on clearance, I believe I also saw some Mammut and Arcteryx packs in there as well.
    If you need something big, check out the Kelty Red Cloud. They are nice packs, a bit of a pain to get adjusted/fitted right, but once you got it, it's a good pack with lots of organization, pockets dividers, zippers, etc....yea some weight. The newer colors/versions area little out of your price range but you can find the old blue and khaki colors pretty cheap. Campmor was selling the old ones for $99 (that's how I got mine) but I don't know if they still have any.
    When night falls she cloaks the world in impenetrable darkness, A chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air, suddenly....life has new meaning.

You can get some pretty decent packs for $140. For a traditional internal frame pack you might check out the REI flash 50. Its a pretty light weight pack at under 3 pounds and it is very flexible for day hiking or long distance for only $150.

Another option is to check out Backpackinglight.com forums under Gear Swap. I bet you could get a used Osprey Exos 46 in good shape for $140. Another option is to check into frameless packs. A Jam2 would be a real good investment and you could get one pretty cheap on that forum.

High Seirra Appalachain 75 good pack, internal frame, $120
    You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim, the mountian's got its own ways.
    -"BearClaw" Chris Lapp-

Only $140.00? Well I probably wouldn't get anything new. I'd most likely go on-line and try and find a gently used Osprey or Granite Gear. These are the two best-made, and the two most popular packs on the A.T. and there are lots of reasons why.

You've gotten some good suggestions, but everyone is just shooting in the dark because you gave zero information about your requirements beyond price.

"It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Cool

I have a Alice large with frame, like new ( some paint scrapes on frame) yours for $75 + shipping. 5600 ci,6.5Lbs.
    Last edited by ALLEGHENY; 07-28-2011 at 15:10.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    A $60 dollar loan from someone so I could get a ULA Circuit! Hey, just me. You asked!
    I was going to say watch for a used ULA Circuit. And spadout.com is the easiest way to check and compare prices.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    I was going to say watch for a used ULA Circuit. And spadout.com is the easiest way to check and compare prices.
    I think trailspace.com is a better site. What do you like about spadout.com over trailspace? They don't list SunnySports on any product that I checked (and I know they have it) Sunny usually have the best prices or will beat the best online price you can find.
    When night falls she cloaks the world in impenetrable darkness, A chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air, suddenly....life has new meaning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++