WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I would personally first buy a really nice ultralight down bag (western mountaineering or montbell), give in and buy a neo-air, and then spend the rest on some nice clothing (that is of course assuming you already have a light weight backpack, kitchen, etc.). You can easily live comfortably with cheap synthetic clothing from walmart or target, but the comfort and feeling of merino clothing and nice socks, jackets, etc. is well worth the price. Good clothing, to me, is what makes me feel most at home when on the trail.

Images

The essentials:

Western Mountaineering Megalite.
    Neoair
    Osprey Aether 70 (swap out belt for argon/crescent belt)
    Jetboil Sol Ti
    Tarptent Rainbow

Default $1000 to buy gear

Golite Jam2 Backpack- 1lb 10oz stock- $125
    Golite Ultralight 3-Season quilt 1lb 8oz- $275
    Six Moons Design Wild Oasis 13oz- $175 from site, you can find them much cheaper used
    Thermarest Prolite 4- 11oz- $80

Thats 4lbs 10oz for your big items. You can definitely find these items a lot cheaper and can do things for them to be lightened.

For smaller things:

Aquamira for purification
    Alcohol Stove for cooking
    Trail Runners for shoes
    and a good set of Hiking Poles

Garlic
    Images

I packed pretty much like Big Cranky (post 15) and my entire AT kit cost $850. I had lots of time to shop deals and found some good ones. My pack list, with weights and costs, is attached.

Garlic's Pack Inventory.xls
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I packed pretty much like Big Cranky (post 15) and my entire AT kit cost $850. I had lots of time to shop deals and found some good ones. My pack list, with weights and costs, is attached.

Garlic's Pack Inventory.xls
    My camera, two lenses, and tripod weigh almost that much.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
    My camera, two lenses, and tripod weigh almost that much.
    Well, sure, my camera gear weighs far more than the 9 pounds base weight in Garlic's list. But I'm sure not bringing it all on a thru-hike!
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Well, sure, my camera gear weighs far more than the 9 pounds base weight in Garlic's list. But I'm sure not bringing it all on a thru-hike!
    I dunno if I'd bring the 70-200mm lens but I'd damn sure bring the body and the 16-50mm lens and tripod. I'd only have one shot at a thru-hike until after retirement.

I dunno if I'd bring the 70-200mm lens but I'd damn sure bring the body and the 16-50mm lens and tripod. I'd only have one shot at a thru-hike until after retirement.
    You could just bring a digital camera, they have some pretty small and light ones nowadays, and they seem to take good pictures. Good enough, at least, and a lot lighter than that.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    You could just bring a digital camera, they have some pretty small and light ones nowadays, and they seem to take good pictures. Good enough, at least, and a lot lighter than that.
    If they were just as good then DSLRs wouldn't exist. The money (and quality) is in the glass. I'm not giving up a $1500 lens for "4x optical zoom and 20x digital zoom P&S". Just ain't going to happen. The only advantage the P&S have is battery choice and availability on the trail. If I have to leave the real camera at home, I'll just use the cell phone camera.

If they were just as good then DSLRs wouldn't exist. The money (and quality) is in the glass. I'm not giving up a $1500 lens for "4x optical zoom and 20x digital zoom P&S". Just ain't going to happen. The only advantage the P&S have is battery choice and availability on the trail. If I have to leave the real camera at home, I'll just use the cell phone camera.
    Well, it's good enough, and more efficient. I have seen some pretty good pictures taken with them. I feel it is just like anything else, the skill is in the photographer, not the gear. Not saying good equipment is useless, but it is like the Ti cookpot vs greasepot argument. They both do the same job, sure, one is better, but in the end, it works. I am personally a minimalist, though, and hate having tons of possessions. I try to simplify as much as possible, strip everything down to bare bones. So to me, I look at a combination of weight, efficiency, size, ease of use, and cost, with anything I buy. I replaced a set of box wrenches with 2 adjustable ones. Are they better, no, but they are good enough to get the job done.

Images

If you want the most for your money, look on backpacking forums for people selling stuff. You'll get way more for your money if you buy used. Most everything is still in like new or good condition. Check here, hammockforums, backpackinglight, etc. In my opinion you can get the best quality, good value,lightweight stuff over at BPL. Just have to be patient and flexible.

I'd be looking at either a Zpacks tarptent, a Tarptent, or Six Moon Designs shelter. Or if you want to hammock then you can get a Warbonnet Blackbird or traveler setup for a good price.

Backpack - you can find golite jam2's for cheap and they're perfectly sized for multiday trips.

Pad - Get a CCF pad from Gossamer Gear. Or a Zrest.

Rain gear - Gatewood Cape from Six Moon Designs could double as your poncho and shelter. Not only saves you money but weight as well.

Sleeping Bag - Find a good deal on a Golite Ultra 20 or a Jacks R Better wearable quilt.

Anyway, not that I know a lot. But that's where I'd start.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    Well, it's good enough, and more efficient. I have seen some pretty good pictures taken with them. I feel it is just like anything else, the skill is in the photographer, not the gear. Not saying good equipment is useless, but it is like the Ti cookpot vs greasepot argument. They both do the same job, sure, one is better, but in the end, it works. I am personally a minimalist, though, and hate having tons of possessions. I try to simplify as much as possible, strip everything down to bare bones. So to me, I look at a combination of weight, efficiency, size, ease of use, and cost, with anything I buy. I replaced a set of box wrenches with 2 adjustable ones. Are they better, no, but they are good enough to get the job done.
    I'm a beer and photo snob. Best time for pics is sunset and sunrise. Requires a tripod. And P&S and especially cell phones fail miserably with low light. Since even a fast thru hike is still 2 months long, it's got to be a leave of absence from work. It would be a vacation.

If/when I do one, I'd probably start earlier than most. Everyone seemd to like mid April for NOBO. I'd probably start Mar 1st and hope for no snow. Anywho, the extra time for all of the blue blazes, taking pics, etc. Keep town days to a minimum but if I'm just not feeling it or if I'm in a really nice area, hang out for a day or two.

Journal Entries

Where did you go to outfit your friend for under 200?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++