Default AT Survival Courses?Does anyon

Does anyone know of any classes/weekend courses to help some possible thru-hikers get some practical advice? A bit of a refresher course?

I live in South Jersey, but I would be willing to travel.

Thanks

Default Appalachian Trail Institute

Since 1989, the ATI has been helping potential AT thru and section hikers prepare for their journey. Several hundred hikers (from 28 states amd 3 foreign countries) have attended. There are three more sessions scheduled for 2011. More info at: www.warrendoyle.com
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Images

if you dont have much backpacking experience, contact NY-NJ trail conference, they hold seminars pretty regularly on backpacking basics. outside of that , welcome to whiteblaze. Theres plenty of information right here that you can use, and we've got as mnay opinions here as a*******s., so sometimes you have to sift through the chaff.But in the end, its just walking.

Warren Doyle's course on how to hike the AT is highly recommended for those with little or no backpacking/camping experiance.

But really, there isn't a whole lot too it. Your not exactly heading out into the trackless wilderness with nothing but a pocket knife. For hiking the AT, making good gear choices is most important, then learning how to use said gear. You don't want to be learning how to set up your tent in the first rain storm or how to use your stove the first night out. It's a good idea to know how to make a camp fire, but not imperative. The rest is pretty much common sense.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thank you everyone!
    The Warren Doyle course is exactly what I'm looking for!

Even better, come to the ALDHA Gathering in October. See http://aldha.org/gathring.htm It's a whole weekend devoted to long distance hiking, with seminars and slideshows and a lot of fellow hikers who have either already hiked or are dreaming of a long hike. Since it will be in Massachusetts this year, that won't be much of a drive.

REI offers seminars or some kind of outdoor course I think. Never been to one but might be worth looking into.

Hey reilly, I'm signed up for the one in September at the ATI... I'm not sure I need the outdoor skills part, but the logistical and the mental prep I totally need. I've heard good things about it.

Hey reilly, I'm signed up for the one in September at the ATI... I'm not sure I need the outdoor skills part, but the logistical and the mental prep I totally need.  I've heard good things about it.  

Images

I took the ATI course back in 2003. Jenn Pharr Davis took it about a year later. Although I didn't use everything that Warren said, it was worthwhile. Just meeting Warren makes it worthwhile. Welcome to the AT community of unique hikers.

Hey reilly, the PA Ruck (actually in VA) is happening Jan 27-30, 2012. I'm from South Jersey also and plan on going. Interested in carpool? https://www.facebook.com/pages/PA-Ruck/133402566603 I just emailed the women from paruck.com yesterday and she was just posting the 2012 info on facebook and also on WB.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Read books, watch videos, go to Warren's seminars (including at The Gathering next week--October 7-9), go to real thru hiker presentations at REI. In fact, do all of the above suggestions. It will keep you from getting the heebie jeebies as you wait, wait, wait for your departure date. Also, consider going to a SOLO wilderness first responder course or even a wilderness first aid weekend class. This is not just to be able to help someone else but is VERY IMPORTANT in being able to tell the Good Samaritans who have not received intensive wilderness training from injuring you permanently doing the best that they know how to do. It is worth the $$$$$ when you think about the medical bills you would avoid by being able to direct your own care until someone trained arrives.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

++ New Posts ++