WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default On the Fence, Need Some Pre-trail Magic

Hey Everybody,

I just finished college but I cannot find a real job so I am thinking about hitting the trail and doing something meaningful before I have to work for the rest of my life. But I have a couple quick questions, maybe you can help me out...

Washing clothes: Do you A) laundromat it up in town B) all natural castile soap in the river (Im guessing this is frowned upon regardless of the the all natural soap) or C) just go hippie

Boxers: I need to just bite the bullet and buy a couple pairs of $25 patagonia or ExOfficios dont I? Anyone have a preference?

Shoes: I am thinking about just wearing some gortex north face low tops instead of traditional heavier hiking boots. Any thoughts?

Preparation: Anyone have any suggestions for a 2-3 week warm hike before doing the real deal? Ive hiked all my life but have never done more than a 5 day trek. I figure if you can go 3ish weeks and still feel good then you are probably capable of going the distance, unless something screwy happens. Is that sound thinking or not really?

Trail Companions: Do a lot of people start alone? I was just going to fly solo the first couple weeks and do some soul searching then maybe tag along with other people later.

The "Spiritual" Journey: Is everyone high 24/7 or what? I dont mind the occasional veg but I like to keep a clear head most of the time. Am I going to be an outcast if im not partaking constantly? Im not a narc, I swear.

Trail names: Do you come up with one yourself or is more of a 'you have to earn it' thing?

ALSO, and most importantly, what are my chances of running into a young gorgeous single woman on the trail?

Thanks Forum Angels,
    ~Magua

Lets start with washing clothes. First off, when possible i do a load in town, its just easier. However, I do wash boxers, socks, and sometimes my shirt on the trail. To wash on the trail I take a 1L nalgene bottle and stuff said garment into it(you want to try and have at least a 1/4 of the bottle left) Then fill with water and add a few drops of castile soap . I prefer Dr. Bronners pepermint. Then shake the bottle to mix well then clip to the outside of your pack and hike(or shake the bottle by hand for awhile) This gives it the agitation like a washing machine and actually does a really good job. The key here is to have enough room in the bottle for the water to slosh around at least a little bit. I typically can do 2 boxers, and a pair of socks at once, or 2 pair socks 1 boxer. Or I can do 1 shirt.

When done hiking, dump out soapy water at least 150ft from a water source, add fresh water(doesnt have to be filtered/treated) and rinse and repeat until done. Then wring out and hang dry. Yes, it is a little bit of work, but it very effective, and is just as good as any washing machine.

I really like exoffio boxer briefs, that is my brand of choice. But i assume any synthetic boxer brief will do. Be it pantagonia, tnf, ems, rei etc. They are so worth it IMO. It's kinda like buying good wool socks.

If your gonna go lowtop you may as well go all the way and go trail runner, non goretex. For one they will be cheaper. but your feet and shoes are going to get we anyway regardless, so having a non goretex model will enable your shoes to dry much much quicker. Trail runners already dry lightyears faster than boots.

I am sure we could give you a good warm up hike, where are you located?

Typically everyone starts alone, but very quickly find others that hike the same pace etc, you see the same people at shelters and what have you. So if your wanting solitude your best bet is to avoid shelters for the first little while as that will be where the majority of people are. You have to use shelters in the smokies.

Trail names go both ways. Most earn them on the trail, and other just start with one. Your preference really. Tradition has you earn one.

And the ever important pink blazing. You never know when you might find someone. So do your laundry often! haha. Seriously though if your wanting to pink blaze then dont be a scrub, and keep yourself somewhat kept on the trail. Which isn't hard to do, just takes an extra few minutes a day.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Magua View Post
    Hey Everybody,

I just finished college but I cannot find a real job so I am thinking about hitting the trail and doing something meaningful before I have to work for the rest of my life. But I have a couple quick questions, maybe you can help me out...

Washing clothes: Do you A) laundromat it up in town B) all natural castile soap in the river (Im guessing this is frowned upon regardless of the the all natural soap) or C) just go hippie

Boxers: I need to just bite the bullet and buy a couple pairs of $25 patagonia or ExOfficios dont I? Anyone have a preference?

Shoes: I am thinking about just wearing some gortex north face low tops instead of traditional heavier hiking boots. Any thoughts?

Preparation: Anyone have any suggestions for a 2-3 week warm hike before doing the real deal? Ive hiked all my life but have never done more than a 5 day trek. I figure if you can go 3ish weeks and still feel good then you are probably capable of going the distance, unless something screwy happens. Is that sound thinking or not really?

Trail Companions: Do a lot of people start alone? I was just going to fly solo the first couple weeks and do some soul searching then maybe tag along with other people later.

The "Spiritual" Journey: Is everyone high 24/7 or what? I dont mind the occasional veg but I like to keep a clear head most of the time. Am I going to be an outcast if im not partaking constantly? Im not a narc, I swear.

Trail names: Do you come up with one yourself or is more of a 'you have to earn it' thing?

ALSO, and most importantly, what are my chances of running into a young gorgeous single woman on the trail?

Thanks Forum Angels,
    ~Magua
    wash clothes at laundromat never in a stream

boxers not needed. especially patagonia, etc. i never wear underwear

low top shoes are good. gore-tex is overkill. save your money

start alone. the trail is crowded. you'll meet people

lotsa dope smokers out there.

i named myself. you can too

yes there are pretty ladies out there.

Images

Just a word of advice for the pink blazing.... When you find yourself alone in a shelter, don't tell the girl walking to the privy 'I'm sure lonely here all be my lonesome, it's kinda scary, why don't you come and keep me company.' You will earn the trail name Chester the Molester pretty quickly.

Hey Everybody,

Laundromat in town, washed clothes by a river sometimes(not in it, got my water and washed away from it), took a bath in my tent sometimes too.

The lightest boxer briefs I have seen are 2.5oz, I personally prefer women's underwear, they generally weigh around 0.5 oz, are very comfortable(and I'm well above average), dry fast as hell. I tried going commando, would rather not have underwear, but I got some chafing on sensitive areas, so the underwear is a necessity.

I got a pair of Merrells, worked well. I wouldn't bother with boots, too heavy and they dry too slow.

Warm up hikes are always a good idea.

I started alone, met people along the way, but always preferred being by myself in the daytime during my hikes.

I smoked once in awhile, wasn't a big deal either way. People do smoke on the trail, so it isn't a huge deal. Just don't smoke in hostels or whatever.

People usually give you one.
    I have seen a few sectioners that were attractive. I never saw an attractive female thru hiker, honestly. I would say the chances are pretty slim.

Thanks Forum Angels,
    ~Magua
    Replies in bold, did my thru last year.

Trailbender, I have to ask. Female underwear? I can't imagine being comfortable in any style of female underwear. Different cuts, not so good for nuts so to speak.

I personally prefer women's underwear, they generally weigh around 0.5 oz, are very comfortable

The rose goes in the front, big guy...
    Grant Silverstone

A Wannabe Thru-Hiker

As folks like to hear both new ideas and support for already-said ideas:

+1 on the 'Nalgene washer' - it works well. Dump and rinse away from sources and rinse out the Nalgene well, of course!

I like the drying factor of synthetics but they stink quick for me; I wash ExO's often, going commando for a short time while they're drying on a line or the back of my pack.

I have a variety of shoes, Merrell Trail Gloves being my most recent favorites. Those are a big step--no pun intended--for those used to boots. I also have some Lowa Zephyr mid-heights with GTX. They are really comfortable for my finicky feet but they're way too hot in the summer and, as suggested, take a while longer to dry. It's not an unreasonable amount of time if they get wet in the morning and I can hike them dry, but if they're going to get wet and stay wet because of water crossings, I'd definitely skip the Gortex. Really, I'd recommend skipping the Gortex anyway - cheaper, too. I'll be hitting the HST next week and despite lots of snow at elevation, will probably only wear the Trail Gloves.

Another +1 on the shake-down hike(s). Keep safety in mind, of course, but don't be afraid to push yourself a little.

I find that most smokers/drinkers don't care if you don't join in - it just means more for them.

There are certainly good looking women hikers on the trails. They're on the trail for similar reasons as you, or the rest of us, probably, so respect boundaries like you would if you weren't on the trial. But then again, I'm very much taken and wouldn't be open to suggestion even if lightening strikes (I reckon the odds of connecting with someone that way on the trail are slim, but that's assuming on my part.) But, if it's something you wouldn't mind happening and hope does, "pack accordingly."
    "Why confuse the issue with facts when you can just holler that the sky is falling? #OMGawdWereAllGonnaDie!" -Rocket Jones

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WalkinTall View Post
    Trailbender, I have to ask. Female underwear? I can't imagine being comfortable in any style of female underwear. Different cuts, not so good for nuts so to speak.
    They certainly aren't dancing pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstone View Post

Sorry but just can't stop laughing at this one!!
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

I personally prefer women's underwear, they generally weigh around 0.5 oz, are very comfortable

i held it like an egg, yeah and he scrambled the son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkinTall View Post
    Well, I have been wearing them for about 15 years now, and have no issues. I had to wear the baggy brown cotton briefs we got in basic, and AIT, they were basically brown colored tightywhiteys. Uncomfortable, especially on long road marches in 95 degree heat. I have never cared for boxers at all. As soon as I got to my duty station, I went to the PX and bought a pack of panties, and never wore the other ones again.

The microfiber ones are stretchy enough to fit well. I didn't wear pink ones, and no one ever commented when I was changing in the shower room.

Journal Entries
    Images

I see your from Chicago. You might try the River to River trail across southern Ill. It runs from the Ohio to the Mississippi, @ 170 miles. You don't need to hike it all to get a good 2-3 week tryout. I'll leave suggestions about underwear, dope and the ladies to the younger crowd.

LOL, that was a good one

I'll comment on low cut North Face gortex shoes. I've been using a pair of North Face Rucky Chucky gortex shoes and really like them, but my next pair will be non-gortex trail runners. I like my gortex shoes for stream crossings, but that's about it. I've never had any problems with the shoe not breathing during normal hiking, just drying out when water gets into them. If the water is more than 3" high it will come into the shoe and then take a long time to dry because they are gortex. Same goes in the rain. Unless you wear gaiters water will get into the shoe and then stay there. I'm only hanging onto mine until they blow out and then getting something like the Brooks Cascadia 5's.

Hey Everybody,

Thanks Forum Angels,
    ~Magua
    These two statements stood out the most for me. Work for the rest of your life? Sounds like a prison sentence. You're too young for a prison sentence. I hope you can find work, part-time or not, that you actually LIKE, instead of some long travail.

On your last point, about meeting a gorgeous woman, well, if you do and things go well (marriage--family), you'll be certain to be stuck working for the rest of your life

Images

Alternate for washing clothes in my kit is a gallon freezer bag. Wash, rinse, and use a smooth stone to ware away stubborn spots. Also, Campmoor is having an Ex Officio sale this week. $25 undies are $18
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Thanks for all the advice Ironbelly and for responding so quickly, much appreciated.

Nalgene clothes wash is genius, I am surprised this is the first Im hearing of it (might be a cue that I still have a lot more research to do).

I am sold on the exofficio boxers and the non goretex trail runners as well.

The gorgeous girls comment was kind of a joke, but hey you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronMB View Post
    But, if it's something you wouldn't mind happening and hope does, "pack accordingly."
    Haha, good thinking. Although I cant help but wonder what the minimalist hikers would suggest in this area...

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    These two statements stood out the most for me. Work for the rest of your life? Sounds like a prison sentence. You're too young for a prison sentence. I hope you can find work, part-time or not, that you actually LIKE, instead of some long travail.
    Well said. I have a summer job that is going to finance my thru hike in march if I dont find a real job by then. The more time I invest in researching this hike, the more I am hoping that I dont find a real job so I can actually give it a shot! Dont tell my parents that though...

Hopefully when I get off the trail I will find a real job doing something I actually like, which wont feel like a prison sentence. Thanks for the advice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++