WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hammock forum worth it?

When I was looking for hammock information, everyone pointed me to hammock forum. After joining that forum I discovered that it is a pay forum and any discussions the least bit useful are hidden from non-paying members. After pondering for a while, I realized that the only useful information I received came from Shug's video series which is freely available on Youtube. The majority of the threads were started by folks who were noobs like me, asking the same questions over and over. So the good threads were available to "paid up" members only - everything else was pretty lame. In my opinion, hammock forums is a little cliche - not really a forum at all. The single useful feature they offer is a means to contact and discuss the various small manufacturers of quilts, etc.

So my suggestion to those pondering hammocks - watch Shug's videos. If you want to buy your way into hammock forum discussions - that's your business. But I personally don't find that forum all that useful anymore.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Seems to me that you're a little misinformed on this one. Hammock Forums, like WhiteBlaze, has a donating member option, but you are not required to be a donating member to participate in the forums, research past threads/posts or for the forum to still be arguable the most valuable resource on the internet for all things hammocking. Being the wealth of knowledge and source for hammocking that it is, the site owner, administrator and moderation team have chosen to keep the site full time on the topic of hammocking. Anything off topic is discussed in the Donating Member Off-Topic Forums, which includes discussion regarding general off topic subjects, backpacks, clothing, camp kitchen, cutlery, paddling, and non-hammock DIY.

For those that choose to be donating members, the minimum donation is $10 annually, or $0.027/day, which, IMO, is more than worth it for the information, entertainment value and being part of such a wonderful, understanding and giving community. The opinions, information and ideas submitted my non-paying members are appreciated and as highly valued as those who are paying members and we make no distiction between the two, other than access to the previously mentioned Donating Members forums.

Hammock Forums continues to be the internet's leading information resource on all things hammocking and will remain that way. We hope to have you as part of our community, paid member or not.

This only my take on the subject and is not meant to be an official statement on behalf of anyone, particularly the owner, administrator or moderation team at Hammock Forums.

Best wishes and happy hangin'.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

What he said....Or in less words same as White Blaze

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Well said Hooch. It may not be an official statement but I do not believe the owner, administrator or moderation team at HF could say it any better.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

Yeah, you must have ventured into an off-topic section and thought everything was like that. If you have an example, post it here and I'm sure that will be detailed to see if there is an issue. Otherwise, the only problem with HF.net is the veritable plethora of hammock-nerd details that could certainly confuse a noob.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    . . . .the only problem with HF.net is the veritable plethora of hammock-nerd details. . . .
    You say that like it's a bad thing. And the Mathletes. You forgot the mathletes.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Otherwise, the only problem with HF.net is the veritable plethora of hammock-nerd details that could certainly confuse a noob.
    WB has it's share of those types too. Just extract enough information for your own liking.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    You say that like it's a bad thing. And the Mathletes. You forgot the mathletes.

The DIY section is incredibly informative, interesting, and painful to my head. I also love the attitude on HF... it's much more of a family atmosphere, people will always be willing to help you and offer constructive criticism. Also the PIF thread is mighty cool (although we need some more involvement from new people). Also I believe you can view all threads, but you have to be a donating member in order to post a comment of start a thread in the off-topic sections. Anything that has to do with hammocks (and even the for sale / to buy sections) are fully accessible to anyone.

There are also a lot of people that are on both WB and HF like myself, hooch, and probably a few others on this particular thread.

Give us another shot!

Happy Hangin'
    Ben

Images

You can pay to join it if you like. I have been a member over there since it first started and still haven't dontated. If you are just looking for info on hammocks you can get that on the forum without donating.
    I did get a chance to see what was in the members only forum and to me it wasn't worth paying for. Of course now they will talk about me for saying that
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

What they said !!!!
    TJ

No this is not correct at all. In fact, the origal poster could not be more wrong.

All of the useful information is in the open forums.

The donating member forums at hammockforum are not where the "good stuff" is. The donating member forums at hammockforum are about family stuff, jokes, knifes, and guns.

IMO hammock forum's open DIY section is amazingly open with everything you need make gatheered end hammocks, bridge hammocks, tarps, winter tarps, socks, quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    And the Mathletes. You forgot the mathletes.
    As one guy at HF posted, " Shhh, be quiet, you will awaken the Quants"

Scared me enough to look up the word.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    You can pay to join it if you like. I have been a member over there since it first started and still haven't dontated. If you are just looking for info on hammocks you can get that on the forum without donating.
    I did get a chance to see what was in the members only forum and to me it wasn't worth paying for. Of course now they will talk about me for saying that
    Don't worry Ewker, we already talk about you.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    Don't worry Ewker, we already talk about you.
    dang it I knew it
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

dla,

I reviewed all the threads you started (7 threads started by you). 6 were specific questions and one was a gripe about the forum's moderation. One of your threads (on the camp pillow) was bounced to the member forums because it wasn't about hammocks it was about the pillow you used from REI. the other 5 of the threads started by you were in the appropriate forums dedicated to that specific topic <for free>. And all of your 5 threads you received the appropriate responses and proper feedback which allowed you to make a more informed decision about purchasing a hammock or insulation.

Correction - pad thread you started in which you wanted a good, better, best rating which you really can't get due to the subjectivity of the matter (everyone sleeps a bit differently).... on BTW how's that inflatable pillow still working for you suggested by another non-paying member? Better sleeping for your left side sleeping problems?

You were even invited for free to the Oregon hang to help with different set up options. Assuming you were close enough to attend.

There was only 1 thread that I noted (in which you didn't start) that was placed in the members section of the site because it didnt specifically go along the lines of hammock talk.

The paying member's forums have the following topics:

Off Topic
    Camp Kitchen
    Clothing
    Backpacks
    Paddling
    Cutlery (knives)
    Other Gear & DIY (not specific to hammocks)

Because they want to keep the content hammock related those topics are placed in a members forum for those who want to stray... which is fine. If you want those topics you can pay the measly $10 for a year or just research areas on Whiteblaze which is the Big-Brother site to hammock forums and has those topics free of charge.

As far as noobs asking the same things over and over... that's what they do. I was a noob once too and I still contribute to help those out with my experiences.

So what's the problem... really?

Water Monkey

Images

I have been on HF for a while now, and the info I have gleaned has saved me a lot of time, money, and pains. It is well worth it.

Hmmm, I must have had a unique experience. You see, when a thread is interesting on HF, the moderators often move it to a restricted area accessible only by paid members. Therefore it is not FREE at all.

What I discovered was that the really useful info was free - i.e. Shug's video series. The cottage industry folks also made use of the forum to promote chatter about products, but there were no serious reviews so a noob would be led to believe they are all the same and "good", which is not the case.

So the exchange of information is throttled. But that is OK as hammocking in general is a pretty small portion of the outdoor community.

Images

Apart from Shug <who is an Awesome entertainer> I also have reviews for some of the cottage industry makers.... for Free.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    . . . .You see, when a thread is interesting on HF, the moderators often move it to a restricted area accessible only by paid members. Therefore it is not FREE at all. . . .
    If that interesting thread is not a hammock specific topic, then yes, it is moved to the Donating Members Off Topic Forums. Again, as explained earlier, HF is a hammock specific forum and all public content is directly hammock related. All other topics are moved to keep the focus where it belongs: on hammocks. If you want to be able to access the off tpic forums, pony up $10. It's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    dla,

I reviewed all the threads you started (7 threads started by you). 6 were specific questions and one was a gripe about the forum's moderation. One of your threads (on the camp pillow) was bounced to the member forums because it wasn't about hammocks it was about the pillow you used from REI. the other 5 of the threads started by you were in the appropriate forums dedicated to that specific topic <for free>. And all of your 5 threads you received the appropriate responses and proper feedback which allowed you to make a more informed decision about purchasing a hammock or insulation.

Correction - pad thread you started in which you wanted a good, better, best rating which you really can't get due to the subjectivity of the matter (everyone sleeps a bit differently).... on BTW how's that inflatable pillow still working for you suggested by another non-paying member? Better sleeping for your left side sleeping problems?

You were even invited for free to the Oregon hang to help with different set up options. Assuming you were close enough to attend.

There was only 1 thread that I noted (in which you didn't start) that was placed in the members section of the site because it didnt specifically go along the lines of hammock talk.

The paying member's forums have the following topics:

Off Topic
    Camp Kitchen
    Clothing
    Backpacks
    Paddling
    Cutlery (knives)
    Other Gear & DIY (not specific to hammocks)

Because they want to keep the content hammock related those topics are placed in a members forum for those who want to stray... which is fine. If you want those topics you can pay the measly $10 for a year or just research areas on Whiteblaze which is the Big-Brother site to hammock forums and has those topics free of charge.

As far as noobs asking the same things over and over... that's what they do. I was a noob once too and I still contribute to help those out with my experiences.

So what's the problem... really?

Water Monkey

Hey thanks for making it personal - nice job! I'm very happy you've found your little niche and I hope you enjoy yourself.

Too bad you can't think through how to do a rating for pads - it would save noobs time and money by avoiding buying inferior products and discovering what doesn't work.

I side sleep - do you? Funny, I discovered that a lot of guys side sleep. And you know what? A small pillow really helps with positioning your head to avoid neck ache, airway obstruction and claustrophobic "hammock in your face". But the moderators decided that pillows and side-sleeping are not hammock-related and "POOF!" - gone. On any given day you will find 50% of the threads in the "General Hammock Talk" section marked "moved" with no new address. So when somebody stumbles onto the forum they find some useful stickys and many other threads seemingly deleted.

I could see paying to watch Shug's videos because he is knowledgeable, talented, and put a lot of work into production. But he gives them away for free (nice guy!). Other than being part of a little cliche and getting to hang a silly sign on your camp, I'm not seeing the value of paying for HF.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++