WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hampton Tennessee

This may be a really dumb question, but what the heck.

I am going to be hiking south out of Damascus next month and am curious if there are places in Hampton to restock food if I have to. This is my first hike so I am not sure how long it will take me (and my son) to get there.

Images

brown's general store
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Thanks for the info...just what I needed.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you stay at Kincora, Bob will probably take you either to Browns, IGA, or Ingles.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Edited to note Lone Wolf's info that this hostel is closed. So as they say...Nevermind!

If Kincora doesn't work from a daily mileage standpoint, then there is also the Braemar Castle Hostel in Hampton (423-725-2411) run by Sutton Brown of Brown's General Store. Hiking SOBO, you'd turn right at US-321 to get to Hampton 3 miles to the west. Alternatively, you could continue south over Pond Flats (anything but flat) and loop back down to Laurel Fork, where the old route of the AT heads right for a mile or so along the Fork almost to downtown Hampton. The Braemar hostel is huge, with a large common area and kitchen. Kincora is cozier with a lot more of a "vibe", and Bob Peoples is an encyclopedia of AT info.
    Last edited by Kerosene; 07-20-2011 at 18:05. Reason: Updated to reflect new info from Post #6.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    If Kincora doesn't work from a daily mileage standpoint, then there is also the Braemar Castle Hostel in Hampton (423-725-2411) run by Sutton Brown of Brown's General Store. Hiking SOBO, you'd turn right at US-321 to get to Hampton 3 miles to the west. Alternatively, you could continue south over Pond Flats (anything but flat) and loop back down to Laurel Fork, where the old route of the AT heads right for a mile or so along the Fork almost to downtown Hampton. The Braemar hostel is huge, with a large common area and kitchen. Kincora is cozier with a lot more of a "vibe", and Bob Peoples is an encyclopedia of AT info.
    Braemer Castle is closed

FYI: All 3 restaurants in Hampton are closed (Quarterback's Barbecue, the other barbecue, and the Copper Kettle). McDonalds and Pizza Plus on the four-lane (far side of town) are open. Meme's Internet Cafe is very close to Brown's General Store, but both phone #s that I find on the Internet don't answer.

In terms of lodging, I believe Laurel Fork Lodge (about a mile past the AT farther into Dennis Cove) is closed.

As noted above, Brown's General Store is still there. The IGA and Ingles mentioned are in Elizabethton. Hampton does have a Dollar General Store, but it's farther from the trail than Brown's.

As others have noted, if you don't want to re-supply directly in Hampton, you can wait til you go about 10 miles further: If you stay at Kincora hostel, Bob Peoples will very happily take you to a large supermarket; he does this every day for his guests and it's considered part of your stay, i.e. there's no additional charge for this ride. By waiting til you get to Kincora, you'll both have the option of shopping at a larger market, you also won't have to haul your supplies up Pond Mountain, the first climb immediately south out of Hampton.

I am thinking of staying at Kincora... do they offer breakfast or dinner?

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

sorry...No breakfast. Bob is real simple. That helps keep his costs down. But he does invite some hikers to join in on a meal with him at times.

He does have a small kitchen that hikers can use. Just clean up after yourself. There is a McDonalds and Subway in Hampton.

You can probably butter him up to stop for breakfast, if you want join Bob on a Tuesday trail maintenance outing. lol
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

of Hatman and Happy Feet GAME '01 Happy Feet's Avatar
    Images

Besides, I can't for the life of me imagine why any hiker would be in the Hampton area and even consider not staying at Kincora. Do yourself a favor and go meet Bob and stay at Kincora.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
    Besides, I can't for the life of me imagine why any hiker would be in the Hampton area and even consider not staying at Kincora.
    no beer, no food, cramped quarters, no access to supplies, etc. but bob is a wonderful man

Images

He sure is!

++ New Posts ++