WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: DIY FBC Coozie

Backing Back into Backpacking
    Images

Default DIY FBC Coozie

I'm looking for plans to make your own DIY Freezer Bag Coozie. I'm looking for ones for a quart size bag.
    The key to success in achieving a goal is focusing not on how far you have to go, but rather how far you have come.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Phil 4:13

I improvised my first one out of bubble wrap sandwiched between two layers of heavy foil with tape. It lasted for one season before falling apart. My wife sewed my second one using oven mitt insulation inside of lightweight cloth. Been using that one for a couple of years now with no sign of wear and tear.

Bottom line: the improvised one worked just as well and was a little lighter, but you'll have to make a new one more often.

Oh, as to size, I just laid a freezer bag over the materials and cut it generously. Left enough for a flap too.

That's a good link, above.

For my FBC cozie, I used "Thinsulbright" from the craft store (it's a fleeced mylar, if you will) along with a bit of rip-stop nylon in my color choice (as a "shell" for the Thinsulbright to make it look better - which is not necessary of course).

I simply measured out my material by laying a FB on top, allowed a little extra room all around for seams, then used my inexpensive sewing machine to sew 'er up on three sides; a small strip of Velcro works great for a closure.

Buy some reflectix from homedepot. It's reflective bubble wrap insulation. Design a pouch that fits the bag when expanded with food/water (realize it is always better to go slightly larger to insure a quality fit) -- envelope style works well and designs that don't even have a top often work nearly as good. I recommend stitching it together with a loose stitch, i did mine by hand. Then go over your outside seams with metal tape.

I have currently made around 3 for friends and even a protective cozy for my kindle using the above method and they are all in fairly active use with no noticeable wear.

just make on out of a car sunsceen duck tape it together

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_NJ View Post
    reflectix.....

(realize it is always better to go slightly larger to insure a quality fit)
    +1 for he reflectix cozy. Know that reflectix works better with a bit of air space between the insulation and the item being insulated, so a snug fit is not entirely necessary.

Reflectix-type insulation has a ton of other uses for backpacking and camping, but I don't want to get too far off-topic. Feel free to PM me if you're interested.

I'd be interested in other uses for reflectix. I just couldn't justify the cost of a roll of it for one or two cozys, hence the improv bubble wrap and foil (which is basically what reflectix is).

The downside to the reflectix cozy I made was not being able to get the tuna smell out of it after a spill.

I now use a cozy I made out of silnylon and some leftover insulation from my overquilt. It can go through the washer and dryer.

-FA

++ New Posts ++